It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine Empty
PostSubject: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Just got the new Popular Dog Siberian Husky magazine. It's pretty cool, cause Elara's dad and another dog from that breeder have pictures in it. Plus there are some pictures of the people who do husky rescue around here and their rescues.

I've started reading it, but have only read about 4 or 5 articles so far. I was really impressed with one of the first articles. They went into what to look for in a reputable breeder and didn't sugar coat the bad characteristics in the breed! A couple of the articles mention that they don't make good off lead dogs, but for some reason one article seems to be encouraging letting your husky off lead! Mad It seems to me that it was written by a dog trainer who probably doesn't have a ton of husky experience, but has a friend (who I bet is a trainer herself) who took in a problem husky and got it to the point that it is actually good off leash. So she gives a few training tips and says if you keep it up you'll have a husky who you can go hiking with off lead. And she mentions something about seeing a squirrel before the husky goes after it and just call the dog to you. Ok, well what about when you don't see the squirrel, cat, small animal first?! Then you're just shit out of luck?! That just kind of irked me and seemed really irresponsible to have in a magazine where probably the majority of the people reading it are not good enough dog trainers to have a husky with a reliable recall. But she did mention something that I thought was really cool! To help keep your husky from escaping she recommended a few things including a coyote bar. It's just a PVC pipe with a wire going through it held up just above the fence, so if a dog tries to climb the fence the PVC just rolls and the dog can't get a good grip at the top. Thought that was a pretty neat idea if you didn't want to re-do your whole fencing.

Anyone else get the new edition? Any thoughts?

Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:33 pm

The rescue we help with is in there. Arctic rescue, headed up by Maren Gibson, about staying active with your husky.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr&Titan
Newborn
Newborn
Zephyr&Titan

Female Join date : 2012-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 3:40 pm

Oh wow I've never heard about the PVC on the fence! If we ever get back in a house with a fenced in yard, we'll have to do that.
Back to top Go down
http://hybridhearts.tumblr.com
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 5:17 pm

Regarding the fencing - our rescue recommended that method to us when we got Miss Frosti Paws, escape artist husky extraordinaire. They have commercial ones at coyoteroller.com. The rescue has instructions for homemade ones : http://www.huskycamp.com/security.htm
Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine I08Rolling_pins_side2

It does work - for some dogs. We made modified ones - using black ABS pipe to match our fencing, and I would not recommend using the ABS. It warps in the sun! Use the recommended PVC pipes. Anyhoo - it didn't work even prior to warping for little Houdini husky, so we just keep an eye on her and keep her crated when we leave.

However, she's a tough case and I recommend at least trying it on a section of your fence and then supervising the dog to see if they get out (we hid behind our cars on the street). We used chain link fence posts and parts, plus coated wire to make ours - it ended up working out to about $2/linear foot in cost.
Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine Photo11
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 5:25 pm

How'd she get over it?!

Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 10:54 pm

Is this the one with the black and white with the green background or the one with the blue background? I have the one with the green background. I bought before I found out that my baby's daddy is in it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:21 am

SaraB wrote:
How'd she get over it?!

Houdini Husky (aka Criss Angel's new act - come watch Frosti in Vegas!) launched herself from a sit - as if she was on springs, up and over the rollers - so she could hold onto the wood on the outside of the fence, then used her feet to propel herself over. Didn't land too gracefully, but that gave us time to grab her. Evil or Very Mad Never trust a husky.

Back on topic - we have the old issue, gotta grab this one!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 1:22 am

Oh! And congrats on Elara's family being in the issue! I can't wait to get it!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 3:06 pm

The green background one is the newer one.

Elara's dad is on page 53. He's the black and white one.
And the other dog the breeder owns is the black and white one on page 84.
The picture of the puppy on page 25 was also taken at her place and she was a bit upset that thy used that picture. She's like, "I don't get it! There were sooo many cutier puppy pictures taken that day!" Like all of these:
Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine 9318_100461373308546_100000340512980_9199_6661831_n
Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine 9318_100461223308561_100000340512980_9196_1023927_n

Back to top Go down
henielsen
Teenager
Teenager
henielsen

Female Join date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 4:24 pm

I'm at work and I don't remember which page he is on but Sollie's father is Huskavarna's High Roller (Vegas).
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:45 pm

That's Elara's dad!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine   Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine Empty

Back to top Go down

Siberian Husky - Popular Dog Magazine

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1