It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Toadzca
Newborn
Newborn
Toadzca

Female Join date : 2014-09-01

weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks for that link, I will check it out and compare my two to it.  I will also try to get some standing pics to share for you to look at.  As I mentioned before, I am sure Cooper could stand to lose 5-10lbs but he's not much more than that but Abby has always been very trim & lean.  Here is a pic of them sitting side by side you to see the difference in size between the two of them. weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 20140913
Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 10:57 am

amymeme wrote:

Ashleigh - I like that chart, too.  But with Ami's coat the visual is almost impossible to determine - with coat blow this summer, I can at least see the tuck up from the side, top view not so much.  I'm always fretting about what "easily felt with slight fat cover" means.  At the moment, I'm sort of thinking Ami could stand to lose a bit - I can still feel ribs but I really have to palpate...

I think the best description that works for me is to go to your local meat market and examine a pack of beef ribs. If the plastic layer is the skin the what you feel as you run your hand across the ribs is, normally, about what your dogs ribs should feel like. No one likes fatty ribs and no one likes buying just bones so what goes on display is 'just about right' to eat and to use as an example.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 10:59 am

Amy-Kenzi's fur makes it really hard for me to use the guide too when she has her winter puff on. She doesn't have long fur but it's really dense and poofy to the point that I can't feel her ribs through her fur, but we bathed her and while she was wet it was much easier to follow the visual guide. I thought she was fat (About 5 years old, 21.5" tall x 48-52lbs) and she was actually okay. I would still like to trim a couple pounds off before the winter time change makes exercise hard though.

Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 11:14 am

aljones wrote:

amymeme wrote:

Ashleigh - I like that chart, too.  But with Ami's coat the visual is almost impossible to determine - with coat blow this summer, I can at least see the tuck up from the side, top view not so much.  I'm always fretting about what "easily felt with slight fat cover" means.  At the moment, I'm sort of thinking Ami could stand to lose a bit - I can still feel ribs but I really have to palpate...

I think the best description that works for me is to go to your local meat market and examine a pack of beef ribs.  If the plastic layer is the skin the what you feel as you run your hand across the ribs is, normally, about what your dogs ribs should feel like. No one likes fatty ribs and no one likes buying just bones so what goes on display is 'just about right' to eat and to use as an example.

OK - this one I can identify with Laughing One question - is it the ribs up near the spine or the ribs lower on the side, approaching the belly (just shy of the "brisket") - here I can feel Ami's ribs fine, up close to the spine, there is more of a fat layer. (hope it's not analogous to human "buffalo hump" from cushinoid features...just my hyperchondrisasis surfacing Rolling Eyes )

Back to top Go down
aljones
Senior
Senior
aljones

Male Join date : 2014-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 12:31 pm

I normally go about half way down the side between the top and bottom of the rib cage.
'Course with my two it's a joke; Avalanche falls into my "all bone" category while Sasha falls into the "too fatty" category.
I'd think that in a normal dog (my two definitely are not normal!) the ribs should be fairly consistent.
Back to top Go down
Pearpear
Newborn
Newborn
Pearpear

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 1:36 pm

My husky male is almost 5 months his weight about 16.5 lbs.
Do you think? It's ok?? for Siberian husky breed.

Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

Female Join date : 2014-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 2:17 pm

Welcome to the forum Pearpear. It's been awhile since my girl was 5 months old, but that does seem a little on the light side of weight. My girl was well over 40 pounds by that time, I could no longer pick her up, because she was too long. What does your vet say? They all grow at a different pace, so he may be a slow grower.
Back to top Go down
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Pearpear wrote:

Smile Smile Smile

Honestly it doesn't matter. Some people here have very large huskies and some people have huskies on the smaller side. What your puppy weighs at what age means very little it's his body condition you need to keep an eye on. If he is on the lighter side but is not to skinny that's fine.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyMon Sep 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Kiara is looking much better! The first current shot I saw I was like oh golly. Smile

Age and weight is deceptive. Loki is 65lbs and 1.5 years. Which may sound big to some until I say I believe he borders on or is in underweight range since he is 27" tall. My vet said it should help as he fills out, but that he may always be a very lean dog. However, I am trying to put weight on him since I think 70lbs would be better for him.

Ichigo is 5 months and just weighed in at 42lbs. I measured him and he is 22" tall. I suspect he may end up being a big boy too, but we will see. His age is a little less known. His canines just popped out though so around 5 months is a good guess I suspect.
Back to top Go down
Pearpear
Newborn
Newborn
Pearpear

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 9:53 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
Welcome to the forum Pearpear. It's been awhile since my girl was 5 months old, but that does seem a little on the light side of weight. My girl was well over 40 pounds by that time, I could no longer pick her up, because she was too long. What does your vet say? They all grow at a different pace, so he may be a slow grower.

Hi MiyasMomma thank you for your welcome Smile
Nice to meet you. I think your dog is very smart dog. His weight that i mean is 7.5 Kilograms/5 months old. It is first time i have a husky dog please you recommend for inexperienced person Smile Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Pearpear
Newborn
Newborn
Pearpear

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 10:02 am

Playing with the Big Dogs wrote:

Pearpear wrote:

Smile Smile Smile

Honestly it doesn't matter. Some people here have very large huskies and some people have huskies on the smaller side. What your puppy weighs at what age means very little it's his body condition you need to keep an eye on. If he is on the lighter side but is not to skinny that's fine.

Hello
Thank you for your opinion Smile Smile
I will keep an eye on him. This is my boy, his name Chokey

weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 10609411
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 2:03 am

Pearpear,

Chokey is beautiful!! You had it right 7.5 kilos is equal to 16.5 pounds. Playing with the big dogs is very right saying some are smaller than others, with your pic it's easy to tell that he is a smaller husky. Some grow until they are 2 years old, he may be one that does. 20-27 kg will be his weight range at full grown. With showing us his pic, he looks healthy and at a good weight. There are many threads here to help you with many questions you may have, use the search at the top of the page. If you can't find something please ask, there are many of us here to help. As long as you can not see his bones he is at a good weight. I love huskies because they are so smart, fun, love to be with you and get you to exercise.

Renee
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 2:17 am

Pearpear, to answer your other question, as a new owner you must have patience and be calm, consistently train, be persistent with training, give a lot of mental and physical exercise according to his age, and be repetitive in his training. I give a lot of verbal praise, example good girl/boy, with a shoulder pat, hugs and a lot of attention and affection. All this will make him a wonderful companion. Oh and a well balanced diet.

Renee
Back to top Go down
MiyasMomma
Senior
Senior
MiyasMomma

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 2:20 am

Ashleigh,

Thank you for the chart. It helped me to see that Miya is at a good weight, I've been so worried she was underweight. Even though she is larger than most huskies height wise.

Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 8:49 am

No problem, Renee! It's a great guide.

And sorry for dropping that here and not explaining. For those with dogs who have thick coats, you do want to feel them for the same sort of shape as the chart depicts. When Mishka gets his winter coat in he looks like he's gained 10lbs so it can be hard to tell if he's still at a good weight just by looking at him.

Pearpear
Newborn
Newborn
Pearpear

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 11:12 am

MiyasMomma wrote:
Pearpear, to answer your other question, as a new owner you must have patience and be calm, consistently train, be persistent with training, give a lot of mental and physical exercise according to his age, and be repetitive in his training. I give a lot of verbal praise, example good girl/boy, with a shoulder pat, hugs and a lot of attention and affection. All this will make him a wonderful companion. Oh and a well balanced diet.

Renee

MiyasMomma,

Thank you very much for your recommend Smile Smile
Now, my Chokey can rise his hand when I ask his hand. It's so cute and i say good boy and softly grope his head Razz Razz
When I order " Sit down,boy" he can do follow i ordered.
I love him so muchhhhh
When i have free time i will post his Video Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)   weight - Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Age and weight? (Kiaras fat @$$)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3