It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

So you want to make your own dog treats!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! Empty
PostSubject: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 5:43 pm

Check out
http://www.dogtreatrecipes.org/category/dog-treats

I have made the Meaty dog Biscuits, peanut butter treats, hypoallergenic dog treats (used wheat flour could not find the oat flour) and will be making the eat your veggies biscuits tonight.
All of them have been a huge hit with my dogs and friends dogs. went to a local craft store and got bone shaped cookie cutters.

Made the Veggie ones last night they made the largest batch other then the Meaty ones. dogs loved them! (side note needed to add a lot more flour then the 2 1/2 cups it said)

Last edited by jbealer on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm

My dogs will do anything for a chunk of squash/potato. I bet a vegetable treat would blow their friggin' sled heads. Lindsay would KILL me if I made something for the dogs and not her though...
Back to top Go down
...YouKnowWho
Forum Nazi and B*tcher
...YouKnowWho

Male Join date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 6:15 pm

Just give her one of the vegetable treats. Judging by the ingredients... they're probably pretty good. I'm not one to eat dog food... but I'm just saying...

Posts made by me are not associated or approved by itsahuskything.com. It is widely known that I am a misfit, ingrate, degenerate, brash, trenchant, sardonic, brusque, forthright individual. It should be remembered that all parties operate on the internet and any offense taken from the internet should immediately be followed by a thorough evaluation of one's personal sanity.

-Your Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 6:44 pm

OH i was very tempted to try the PB and oat ones they smell really good. im making the veggie ones tonight, they did not say what kind of carrots to use so i bought caned ones

Eddy if you want i can make them some and send them to you so you will not get in trouble.... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyThu Nov 19, 2009 10:17 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptySun Nov 22, 2009 4:43 pm

I make my own dog treats at home too. I hadn't come across that site before so thanks for sharing! I've ordered my doggie cookie cutters online and have different size bone shaped cutters, a paw shape cutter, and my personal favorite is my husky shaped cookie cutter. Very Happy

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Where can i find a husky shape cutter? Smile i have 2 bone shaped ones but would love to add more! what sites do you use for finding treats?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyTue Nov 24, 2009 2:58 pm

I bought mine from http://cookiecutter.com/ They have tons of cutters to choose from, really great prices and very fast shipping.

Here is the husky one that I have http://cookiecutter.com/huskysleddog45inb1673.aspx

They also have sled cutter http://cookiecutter.com/dogsled475inb1674.aspx

Or you can get a kit like this http://cookiecutter.com/alasakamusherset6pcl9002.aspx

Browse the animal cutter section and they have so many things to choose from. Different sizes and shapes of dog bones, dog breeds, and a variety of paw shapes and sizes. Very Happy

Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:10 pm

Just in time for FALL and Halloween!!!!

Pumpkin Dog Cookies
(with thanks to Dog In Sight Magazine)
This recipe uses no corn or wheat products and is meatless, so it's good for dogs with sensitivities to any of those products.
Thanks to Stella, the boss over at Dog In Sight magazine, for permission to use this recipe. If you want to thank her yourself, send an email.
Ingredients:
• 1 15-oz. can of mashed pure pumpkin (not spiced pie filling)
• 3/4 cup Cream of Rice cereal
• 1/2 cup powdered dry milk
Mix all ingredients. Drop cookie-sized spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
Suggestion: For bite-sized treats, make cookies about the size of a quarter.

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 7:11 pm

That's the recipe I am using for work- as I am making Halloween goodie bags so perfect!! Thanks so much Jen!

I am starting out just now- I never cook, but I want to start making doggie treats! I just ordered the husky cookie cutter! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Keir
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 7:24 pm

I,ve just made sweet potato, white potato x 2 chicken breast peas and carrot for Kai.
wolfed down.
Let's hope the BM's are sorted
Neutral
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 7:34 pm

Keir wrote:
Neutral
Is Kai having problems? Sad

homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
myhusky
Newborn
Newborn
myhusky

Male Join date : 2010-10-24

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 4:07 am

There's an awesome bakery down here that specializes in all natural dog treats. They sell everything, pumpkin biscuits, puplova (all natural biscuit with yoghurt, strawberries and kiwi fruit on top), peanut butter and goji berry, all that awesome stuff. Logan loves them.

We bought a cookbook for dog treats as well so we're going to start making our own. My partner tried a batch last weekend, but it didn't go too well. We put the biscuits through the Logan test and they failed. But if was our first go, we'll keep trying.

We could only find boring cookie cutters down here, might need to check out that site for better ones.
Back to top Go down
http://myhusky.com.au
Keir
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Koda wrote:
Keir wrote:
Neutral
Hi,
Hmm, I think it's Husky tummy.
Kai has been with us now for about a month and he's settled in really well, he was born 04/06/10 so still a pup. I am used to GSD's and Welsh Collie's. The previous owners were feeding him Pedigree Puppy with Chicken and Rice and this is what they recommended as they said that this was the only thing that agreed with him. After a week it became obvious that this wasn't the case.
Poor lad!!
This Forum and the tamaskan-forum.com, all of you have helped me solve Kai's stomach issue. So i'd like to say thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and research. I'll post some photo's and vid's at some point (got to figure out how! I'm not particularly computer friendly).
Sweet potato, Roast chicken and Dog gravy tonight.
Seems to work
We are very grateful.
A contented human and owner.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyFri Nov 19, 2010 9:30 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptySun Nov 21, 2010 6:31 pm

Keir wrote:
Koda wrote:
Keir wrote:
Neutral
Hi,
Hmm, I think it's Husky tummy.
Kai has been with us now for about a month and he's settled in really well, he was born 04/06/10 so still a pup. I am used to GSD's and Welsh Collie's. The previous owners were feeding him Pedigree Puppy with Chicken and Rice and this is what they recommended as they said that this was the only thing that agreed with him. After a week it became obvious that this wasn't the case.
Poor lad!!
This Forum and the tamaskan-forum.com, all of you have helped me solve Kai's stomach issue. So i'd like to say thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and research. I'll post some photo's and vid's at some point (got to figure out how! I'm not particularly computer friendly).
Sweet potato, Roast chicken and Dog gravy tonight.
Seems to work
We are very grateful.
A contented human and owner.
So glad to hear we could help Smile

Check out the sticky at the top of the Member Photos forum or the Scrapbook forum. It explains how to post pictures Smile

homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyTue Jun 28, 2011 7:49 pm

I made Dog icecream sunday night for the pups.
i could only really find one recipe online

• 32 ounces of vanilla or plain yogurt.
• 1 well mashed banana.
• 2 T. peanut butter.
• 2 T. honey.

i put in 2 bananas because they were ready to use and did not want them to go to waste.

i mixed up the banana, PB and honey real good then i added the plain non or low fat yogurt. i got foil lined cupcake liners and put them in my cupcake/ muffin pan and spooned the mixture into the cups all the way to the top. stuck in freezer over night. i filled the pan and 3 extra cups with all the mixture.

on second though i should not have filled them up so much as when i went to feed i realized how big they were and i could not cut it in half as it was to frozen.

Sierra chowed hers down and wanted more, Jack ate his slowly then less then 5 min later he threw it all up Sad im not sure if it was to much for him or to cold or the bananas... gonna try a half of one tonight and see how he does as i have feed him all those things on their own before....

i think it would also be fun to mix in maybe some beef or chicken baby food and carrots maybe for a non fruit mix. i think the options are endless with what you can add to the yogurt .

hope they enjoy it!

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 4:20 am

jbealer wrote:
Just in time for FALL and Halloween!!!!

Pumpkin Dog Cookies
(with thanks to Dog In Sight Magazine)
This recipe uses no corn or wheat products and is meatless, so it's good for dogs with sensitivities to any of those products.
Thanks to Stella, the boss over at Dog In Sight magazine, for permission to use this recipe. If you want to thank her yourself, send an email.
Ingredients:
• 1 15-oz. can of mashed pure pumpkin (not spiced pie filling)
• 3/4 cup Cream of Rice cereal
• 1/2 cup powdered dry milk
Mix all ingredients. Drop cookie-sized spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
Suggestion: For bite-sized treats, make cookies about the size of a quarter.

Kale LOVES pumpkin! he will eat it plain haha. Iv'e been making Kale homemade treats since he was 2 months old and the pumpkin ones are his favorite! Last year I made a KONG with pumpkin and some spices and froze it so he could have a thanksgiving treat too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:49 pm

I hear someone has a birthday coming up!

Cakes

-Peanut Butter Carrot Cake-

Naturally sweet, colorful and flavorful, this cake is simple and easy to make. Great for Fall.

* 1 cup flour
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 cup peanut butter
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1 cup shredded carrots
* 1 tsp. vanilla
* 1/3 cup honey
* 1 egg

Mix flour and baking soda. Add remaining ingredients. Pour into greased 8" round cake pan and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Let cool. Puree cottage cheese in blender for icing. Decorate with more peanut butter and carrots.

-Bacon Chicken Layer Cake-

This recipe makes a real layer cake! Chicken, bacon and yogurt provide aromas that drive dogs crazy for this cake.

* 3 cups flour
* 1 T. baking powder
* 1/2 cup margarine, softened
* 6 eggs, beaten
* 1/2 cup corn oil
* 2 jars strained chicken baby food
* 2 cups finely shredded carrots
* plain or vanilla yogurt
* 2 or 3 strips of bacon, fried crisp, then crumbled, or use bacon-flavored jerky strips, cut into bits.

Generously grease and flour two 8" round cake pans; set aside. Combine flour and baking powder; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat softened margarine until smooth. Add eggs and corn oil; mix well. Add strained chicken, and shredded carrots and mix until smooth. Add flour mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour batter into the 2 prepared 8" cake pans. Bake at 325° for 60 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely on wire racks.

Place one layer on a serving plate and spread yogurt over top. Place second layer on top, then spread yogurt on top and sides of entire cake. Sprinkle crumbled bacon or bits of jerky strips over top.

-Ginger Banana Party Cake-
Banana and ginger combine to make an aromatic cake that's not too sweet for dogs. Well chopped nuts make it a festive cake.

* 2/3 cup mashed bananas
* 1/2 cup softened butter
* 3 large eggs
* 3/4 cup water
* 2 cups Unbleached Flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 tsp ginger
* 2 teaspoons cinnamon

Beat together mashed banana and butter until creamy. Add eggs and water. Beat well. Stir in dry ingredients. Beat until smooth, Add nuts. Spoon batter evenly into oiled and floured bundt pan. Bake at 350° for about 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack 5 minutes, remove from pan, replace on rack and cool.

Banana & Mock-Choc Frosting:

* 2 cup mashed banana
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 6 tablespoon powdered carob
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 3 tablespoon unbleached flour
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon

Blend thoroughly and spread on cooled cake.

-Carob Chip Bundt Cake-
This is a darker, richer, peanut flavored cake with carob chips and carob drizzled on top. A beautiful cake that serves 16-20 dogs, if you're having a bigger party.

* 1 cup whole wheat flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 cup peanut butter
* 1/4 cup butter, melted
* 1/3 cup honey (optional)
* 1 egg
* 1/2 cup carob chips (carob is a chocolate substitute)*

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the remaining ingredients and mix quickly. Bake in a greased ring mold at 350° for 40 minutes. Drizzle melted carob over cake when cooled. Store in the refrigerator.

* Do not use chocolate chips. If you cannot find carob chips, make the cake without them.

-Jerky Cake for Pups-

Here's a make-at-home beef-flavored dog cake recipe from Bullwrinkle.com. They have many treat and cake recipes listed on their website. Click on their SITE SEARCH button and type in the word, cakes.

* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 cup soft butter
* 1/2 cup veg oil
* 1 jar strained beef baby food
* 4 eggs
* 2-3 strips of beef jerky

Preheat oven to 325°. Grease and flour an 8x5x3 inch loaf pan. Cream butter until smooth. Add corn oil, baby food, and eggs. Mix until smooth.

Mix dry ingredients into beef mixture until batter is smooth. Crumble beef jerky and fold into batter. Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack 15 minutes. Frost with plain yogurt, cream cheese or cottage cheese. Crumble another strip of beef jerky and sprinkle on top of icing. Store in refrigerator.

Sierra LOVES the Peanut Butter Carrot Cake. i have not made the others yet.

but the Ginger Banana Party Cake sounds real good and that might be next

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:57 pm

jbealer wrote:
OH i was very tempted to try the PB and oat ones they smell really good.

I made some PB treats for my girls once and brought some to a dog event. One lady actually did eat one! Knowing they were for dogs! She said it was good. lol. I still didn't try them, because I had added some THK to the recipe.

homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 5:19 pm

I make treats for my 2 all the time. Everything I use them can be eaten by humans. Usually they do not taste very good at least to me they don't but hey the dogs love them.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 5:20 pm

Someone does have a birthday coming up...

Thanks for posting this, Jenn! I will definitely be doing a little baking for the Beast's birthday Cool

I got pretty wasted one time and ate some of the yogurt type dog treats. They weren't bad, though that could have been the copious amounts of alcohol talking too. Really, there isn't anything better to do on a Friday night in Enid, OK.

My grandmother started eating the cookies that you get at Petco one time because she thought they were human cookies. Dad let her go for a while before saying anything too, it was hilarious.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 6:35 pm

I love making my dogs cookies. I make the peanut butter cookies from a site that went offline along time ago, but it's just peanut butter, oat flour, and pumpkin and it makes enough for the entire neighborhood. They love them!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you want to make your own dog treats!   homemade treats - So you want to make your own dog treats! Empty

Back to top Go down

So you want to make your own dog treats!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1