It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
mahan.donna
Newborn
Newborn
mahan.donna

Female Join date : 2012-04-01

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? Empty
PostSubject: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi....I feed Chubby Taste of the Wild Dry Kibble.....I've heard that Diamond Foods has had a recall but reading mixed reasons & foods - some forums say only one brand & others say the whole South Carolina plant.

I think Diamond makes TOTW - anyone hear any updated news?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 2:55 pm

They're temporarily stopping production at the SC plant, but the recall only involves the Diamond Naturals and not TOTW. I got an email about it earlier.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 2:56 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:
They're temporarily stopping production at the SC plant, but the recall only involves the Diamond Naturals and not TOTW. I got an email about it earlier.

So does that mean that the prices are going to go up?
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 3:00 pm

Don't know

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 4:53 pm

It's just a suspension of shipments*** from their SC plant because their one Diamond Naturals (I think Lamb) was found to contain Salmonella and they want to do a thorough cleaning of the plant to make sure nothing else is/becomes contaminated because all of the other brands including TOTW and 4Health are produced in that plant. The Diamond Naturals product ( I don't know what Lot #) is under a voluntary recall nothing else.

No other brand/product is being recalled at this time and the prices won't change -_-

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
ECBeaches
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: FOOD ISSUES ON DIAMOND PRODUCTS   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 12:15 pm

blueeyedghost wrote:

Not sure where you got your email from. But I feel it is my duty to clear some things up, in order to help the consumer. I work at an all natural petfood store. And have been feeding my dog TOTW for some time now. We have been in contact with the distributer...however!!!! It IS important to let you know that diamond has stopped the shipping of TASTE OF THE WILD due to issues with its food. We have one dog that got seriously sick from a bag of the buffalo formula. The problem is, Diamond is being very sneaky about this. You don't know which bags have been affected if you don't have the product code, you simply just walk in and see that it is disappearing off the shelves and nothing more is comming in. This is so the company does not lose money. I am disgusted that you can't find this info online, while it was on our local news yesterday morning. TASTE OF THE WILD BUFFALO and FISH are the ones being recalled...as well as TASTE OF THE WILD FELINE FORMULA. Please note this also includes CHICKEN SOUP FOR THE DOG LOVERS SOUL ADULT-LITE DRY. Only certain batches have been affected, but if you don't have the product code, then you don't know what bag you are getting. Due to the poor consumer notification of these issues. I have decided to switch my dogs food to be safe. What anyone chooses to do with this info. is up to you of course, its a personal choice. Two foods that can be changed right away without having to do a gradual switch are Earthborn (same ingredients of TOTW just in a different order, for the same price) or Canine Caviar (more expensive, but you feed less...we did the calculations that its about 60 cents more) Both are holistic healthy choices. PLEASE MAKE NO MISTAKE...that some batches of TOTW dog food ARE INDEED giving digestion issues!!!! And unless you speak to the company itself and get the product codes of the batches that were affected...YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING. I hope this helps keep your pet safe happy and healthy.

AND PLEASE KEEP IN MIND that at first Diamond distributors told us this was a vonuntary recall...just to be safe, and they weren't shipping...it wasnt until one of our customers came in and said their dog got violently sick and brought in the bag of dog food. That we called the distributer and they gave us a product number of batches affected...and sure enough, that was the same number we were selling. Why didn't they tell us this before...so we could pull it off the shelves? Because of the money they would lose? NOT OK in my book!

Last edited by ECBeaches on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 pm

So, what are the product/batch numbers then?!?

¿Why you holdin' out on us?
Back to top Go down
ECBeaches
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 12:56 pm

harrise wrote:
So, what are the product/batch numbers then?!?

¿Why you holdin' out on us?

LOL not trying to hold out on you here...But the product code is at the store and Im at home. But the product date was Feb 19th and it was the Buffalo formula Large bag that our store had the issue with...and they pulled the fish formula and cat formula for what reason? Do we have to wait for another dog to get sick before we can get a product code for those formula's too, to find out which batches? It is not a country wide problem however, these batches were only shipped to certain states, mine just happens to be one of them. But why is getting this info. so difficult? Even store owners can't get the info until its too late. Needless to say all TOTW was pulled from our shelves. And a replacement product was brought in. (Earthborn) To be honest (and this is my personal choice) when it comes to my dogs I would rather be safe. And this was just too much sneakiness for my taste. As store owners, we should have been told right away.
AND...I wish I had a list of the states affected by this...but getting information from the company has been a pain in the neck. All I know is MA is one of them.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Puppy
Puppy
Fenrir

Male Join date : 2012-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 1:47 pm

I happen to feed a mix of the Pacific Stream and Buffalo formulas, so I emailed them to ask about this possible recall.
Back to top Go down
Fenrir
Puppy
Puppy
Fenrir

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 2:07 pm

I just called the store that I buy TOTW from and they confirmed that there has been a regionally-limited recall on TOTW products. They assured me that my area (KS) is not impacted, but they didn't say what areas were.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 2:11 pm

This is why I refuse to feed anything manufactured by Diamond...as I've said over and over, it's only a matter of time.

Puppy
Puppy
Fenrir

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 2:15 pm

I've been beginning a transfer to Orijen anyway. Only problem is I still have about 20 lbs of TOTW left.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 3:34 pm

oh now I need to switch foods soon. Maggie loves TOTW! I might be going back raw when I move to denver.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 4:08 pm

Well crap, I guess it's godo that we had to switch Cato to Acana... He was disagreeing with TOTW. IS Acana decent? It seemed to be a little more affordable than Orijen. We have started the High Prairie and he LOVES it. so does Delilah. Only issue is we have about 20 lbs of Pacific Stream left
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Fenrir
Puppy
Puppy
Fenrir

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Acana/Orijen are expensive, but if you check their feeding amounts, you'll notice they recommend about half the volume of TOTW. In a way, you'd save money; you pay slightly less than double, while also feeding half. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway...
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 4:22 pm

alright im ordering 30 lbs of it...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 4:33 pm

So I checked it out. They only stopped production to check all their foods. TOTW is not recalled they are resuming product shipping!
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 4:35 pm

I called stores in the area that carry ToTW and they have confirmed that there are recalls on Chicken soup and NB but they have NOTHING on a ToTW recall.

My current bag of food is from February and I haven't had any issues.

Back to top Go down
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 4:45 pm

More incentive to continue marching towards a raw diet of some sort...

Back to top Go down
ECBeaches
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 6:12 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
So I checked it out. They only stopped production to check all their foods. TOTW is not recalled they are resuming product shipping!

It depends on which state you live in...infected batches were only shipped to certain states...and you have to find out if your state was one of them. They aren't telling you the whole truth. There are infected batches still out there and on the shelves, because they are telling the store owners the same thing they told you...and trust me its not safe. As we found out by one of our sick doggie customers. Just be careful. I chose to switch because the way they handled this is confusing to the consumers....why risk it.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 6:31 pm

MicroBrewer wrote:
More incentive to continue marching towards a raw diet of some sort...

I agree, as soon as I am in denver, we shall be going back to raw.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 6:35 pm

ECBeaches wrote:
norbreedslove wrote:

It depends on which state you live in...infected batches were only shipped to certain states...and you have to find out if your state was one of them. They aren't telling you the whole truth. There are infected batches still out there and on the shelves, because they are telling the store owners the same thing they told you...and trust me its not safe. As we found out by one of our sick doggie customers. Just be careful. I chose to switch because the way they handled this is confusing to the consumers....why risk it.

Well my state isn't on the recall list. Also I was told it was not TOTW at all. However I agree you have to be careful. after 2 types of diamond foods being recalled who knows if totw will. I dealt with recalled Blue Buffalo. I feel more and more foods aren't worth feeding.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 6:52 pm

Raw is confusing and I have yet to find a way to make it cheaper. If it was easily made cheaper I would look into it more seriously. Then I would need a dedicated freezer and have to figure out all that portioning and supplemental rigmarole I can't even read through. Not for me.

Probably being 'that guy' and interjecting something unpopular again, but I can't get worked up or worried about this. I've become numb through the years to the onslaught of things online telling me how bad the things I feed my dogs are. I can't keep up, and it gets old. If my dogs exhibit symptoms of any sort I might take a bag back and replace it in kind.

Thanks for the additional retailer side info, ECBeaches.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 7:32 pm

ECBeaches wrote:
why risk it.

Why risk it? Anything and EVERYTHING we do and consume comes with SOME risk.

I feed ToTW. It works wonderfully for Bella which is great because of heart problems. I've considered raw - where I live it is in no way a cheaper option so therefore I can't do it. Until my dog exhibits signs of an illness from the food she is on - I see no reason to be in an uproar simply because a dog 3000 miles away MAY have gotten sick on a different brand of dog food that just happens to be processed in the same plant that mine is that went into recall at the same time the dog got sick. Sure - it's highly suspicious - but ya know what? There are also a million other things that could have caused that dog to get sick or it could have already been sick and just started showing signs. Risks.in.EVERYTHING.

Does that mean that I am any less careful? No. My dog is not affected - I will watch her like a hawk to make sure she stays healthy but I think everyone sincerely buys into this paranoia WAY too much. They'd rather run around with pitch forks and torches beating down ANY company's door that has a recall rather than screwing their heads on straight and saying "I'll just be more careful around this time and really watch my dog and at the first sign I'll pull him off the kibble."

Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 7:55 pm

We stopped feeding TOTW when my dogs became very lethargic and showed little to no interest in their food (very very VERY unusual and scary honestly.) Many emails and Facebook posts were ignored and during that time I noticed many others with the same problem, with no answers being given. However other posts not regarding our issue were answered. That is when we pulled away and I will never feed another product from Diamond again.

Raw is plenty affordable as long as you have an affordable source. If you don't, it will cost you. I believe CO has at least a few co-ops... I've seen them.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?   Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall? Empty

Back to top Go down

Taste of the Wild Dog Food Recall?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next