It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Huskies + Apartments?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

Male Join date : 2011-04-14

Huskies + Apartments? Empty
PostSubject: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 1:51 pm

How many of you have a husky or more than 1 dog in an apartment? For some reason I don't even want to move out unless I'm in a house because I feel guilty it's such a small place for a husky and with no backyard. I was curious if I'm just being crazy and thinking too much about it? I for some reason just think its really unfair to have a husky in an apartment... On the other hand if I keep her exersized I would think its ok but its still such a big deal to me for some reason. What are your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 1:57 pm

As long as you are willing to get your sibe the exercise she needs there's no reason you can't live in an apartment. We have a house now but back when we first got our sibe we lived in a 2 bedroom apartment, after that we lived in a 2 bedroom townhouse, and from then on have been living in single family houses ever since. But apartment living with a husky is totally doable.

Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:01 pm

I can't speak for the huskies but I live in an apartment with my GSD. We walk twice a day and she's very chill indoors unless I get her riled up. I think she's got a pretty good life. She seems to be a friendly, well adjusted and happy dog.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:37 pm

I have to agree with Val. We had Delilah and 2 cats in an apartment. We had to exercise her a lot, and she felt cooped up, but we also joined a dog park and ever since then she has been much happier.

Now we are in house, and it makes all the difference. Believe me.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 3:11 pm

We did a 1 bedroom with 2 Huskies and cats for quite some time. Totally doable.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 3:12 pm

Yea I had her in an apt when she was a puppy but now she's not. She's not very hyper either... Under an hour and she's good for the day, we also have a lot of dog parks. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 3:25 pm

I've had 2 huskies in an apartment, and it's very doable as others have stated. As long as you keep her exercised and play games with her to keep her mentally challenged/exhausted she shouldn't get bored or go looking for trouble. You can buy doggie puzzles at any local pet store like PetCo or Petsmart. Or fill a Kong ball and make a game out of if (like freeze water or peanut butter inside with a treat sticking out). I've done this for Indy on several occasions and he loves it and it keeps him occupied for hours.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm

I lived in an apartment with an malamute and going to be living in on with one in august again. It is very do able. Your in the Sacramento Area, so they are some places that don't allow huskies. Yes as long as you get her the exercise, there will not be a problem!
Back to top Go down
iceblulady
Adult
Adult
iceblulady

Female Join date : 2012-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 4:21 pm

I had 2 huskies and a cat in an apartment. My back porch was small but it was enclosed with a privacy fence so they could hang out back there if they wanted. But I took them for a walk every day through town. Sometimes my daughter took my Lady out after school. She could not walk my male husky Twoboy he was a retired weight pulling dog. So he pulled a lot.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 4:23 pm

It can be done. I hate how some rescues won't let you adopt without a yard. I am very active with my dogs. sigh*
Back to top Go down
Snow White
Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 4:28 pm

norbreedslove wrote:
It can be done. I hate how some rescues won't let you adopt without a yard. I am very active with my dogs. sigh*
This is what I was running to to a lot when trying to adopt.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Embry lived in an apartment for the first year of his life with our cat. He did fine, as long as they get enough excerise they're fine.
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 8:40 pm

I think if you exercise and interact with your dog, it doesn't matter that you are in an apartment. Most Huskies prefer to be with their people then alone in a yard. Also, just having a backyard does not equal exercise. An exercised and loved apartment husky is much happier than the left all day in a backyard husky.

My husky was originally an outside-only dog and was surrendered by her owner for regularly escaping. Now she is an inside dog (apartment, then a townhouse) and is happy as a clam.
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: dog friendly apartment   Huskies + Apartments? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:17 am

i live with my husky and cat in a dog friendly apartment building where they have designated doggy areas where they can run around and socialize with other dogs who live in the building. and the area is HUGE and equipped with poopie bag dispensers in every corner. so as long as your willing to exercise with your dog, it shouldnt be a problem. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
firebellydancerjax
Newborn
Newborn
firebellydancerjax

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:38 am

I live in a three bedroom apartment (although the third bedroom is mainly storage and the girls don't go in there) with two huskies and two cats...They go to the dog park every morning and we take them on long walks in the evening..They do just fine. Sometimes they do their zommies in here and run everywhere but they are totally great inside the apartment. I did have a small issue with the rescue when I got my first husky but I showed them where my mom lives and her backyard and they decided that it was ok. With plenty of exercise, physical and mental, they will be fine.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:44 am

We lived in apartments with Koda. By the time we got Hailey, we rented a house, but apartment living is totally doable if you exercise your husky Smile I would recommend getting a crate in an apartment though if she isn't already crate trained Smile

Huskies + Apartments? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
brady.law

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 11:59 am

Ya she never got crate trained. We were in a condo when she was a puppy and she flipped out. Couldn't have her screaming w all the neighbors. We also had a crazy lady below us, she does fine in my room w the door closed.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Yeah I'd get on Crate Training ASAP if you plan on moving into a rental. And it's not too late, Embry wasn't crate trained till a year and a half.
Back to top Go down
snrose
Adult
Adult
snrose

Female Join date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 8:21 pm

yep i lived in in various apartments and small townhouses with nikki and my lab/pit mix. definitely doable with exercise Smile
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyMon Apr 23, 2012 12:08 am

I'm currently looking for an apartment. I think Ava'd do fine with plenty of exercise, so really it should be doable with any husky. My issue is just finding a husky-friendly place to live.
Back to top Go down
aegluc
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 11:38 am

Hello all ! Sorry to revive this old topic but it seems to be one of the few ones where people admit that living with a husky in an apartment is totally doable. I have a few questions.

First of all, I am planning to get a malamute. Given it is a work dog, full of energy, just like the husky, I think what applies to huskies will apply to malamutes as well.

I would like to know what tips/advice you have for us. We (me and gf) live in a 1100sq condo. Dogs are allowed. We live in Montreal/Quebec so it's never too hot .. I personally think the dog will be fine...however I really need some tips. I've read a lot but you can never know too much.. I would like to know more apartment related tips. Like..what do you do with the puppy when you go to work., where does he sleep, how often do you take him out..etc. I see lots of people with labs and golden retrievers in our complex so owning a dog is totally doable. How much more different is it with a husky/malamute ?

I think we will get a puppy in spring. So I still have about 6 months to gather as much info as possible.

PS: I know a lot about the dog/breed..I just need info pertinent to the condo living. Thanks !
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 11:50 am

The only thing I can think of is...

If a husky is about the size of a bathmat lying on the floor, the malamute will be more of an area rug Laughing

Long ago, when I was young and stupid, I never thought to ask the questions. Just got me a Siberian puppy in a small, 3 room student housing apt. We shut her in the bathroom while I worked and hubby had classes. Hubby took her out at lunch, I took her out before work and after. She did fine...the apt, not so fine (she pulled all the wallpaper off the whole apt. Fortunate, it was heavy duty commercial vinyl, came off in 1 piece and at the end of the school year, we just put it back up again.)

I think your method of researching the issues before the purchase is excellent! Clearly you are young and NOT stupid Razz
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyMon Nov 24, 2014 12:28 pm

Firstly, I would let your surrounding neighbors know you will be getting a Mal pup and inform them that these sorts of dogs can get really loud and to be patient with you on training.

Crate Training. It should be your top priority. Not only is it an amazing tool to keep your dog safe when you are away, it also goes hand in hand with potty training.

General Rule of Thumb. For every month old they are is how many hours in the crate they should be able to hold their business - up to 8-9 hours (so 8-9 months old is when 8-9 hours is possible). Never leave a dog in a crate for more than 9 hours. You will find that uti's and bladder infections are going to be a common thing if you make them hold it too long.

If you find that you cannot get to your pup in time, ask a trusted friend, family member, neighbor etcetera, to come and relieve your dog.

My husky prefers sleeping in her crate too. Sometimes she will nap next to me on the bed, but when I fall asleep, she goes to her "room" -is what we call it.

For size of crate, look up the standard size of a full grown Malamute and look up crate suggestion sizes- I would think the one that stands 46" is probably the right one? You want to make sure that it is tall enough that they can sit down without crunching their head, and that there is enough room for them to comfortably turn around in a circle. Getting a full sized crate for a pup is no problem, most of them these days come with a divider so then you can make it bigger as the pup gets bigger.

I don't know if there is a Malamutes for Dummies, but there is a Siberian Huskies for Dummies, and that book is fantastic for a beginner.. I would do an Amazon Search for it. If it exists, buy that!

I would also get in your local H2M2 Group (Husky Huddle Malamute Mingle), (usually found on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram? ) There you will find a community based around Northern Breeds specifically, and people to get advice from as well... plus, be able to meet up with them and get your dog to know a pack setting! It is a lot of fun. So for facebook as an example search for- Husky Huddle Malamute Mingle- Montreal/Quebec -or- type in H2M2-Montreal/Quebec ...

But yeah... again, books. get as many as you can. You can never read enough.
Back to top Go down
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 11:39 am

The best thing I figured out with raising a puppy in an apartment, is to have a go bag for when you have to run outside. There is nothing worse than running around trying to find poop bags, keys, treats and whatever else you need while the clock is ticking between when he asks to go out and how long he can hold it. Before I got my go bag together he had a few accidents right in front of the door because I couldn't get my stuff together soon enough.
Back to top Go down
aegluc
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? EmptyTue Nov 25, 2014 11:45 am

THanks for all the nice advice guys ! @wpskier222 that's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. Small things that you discovered while raising a puppy in an apartment. Thanks !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huskies + Apartments?   Huskies + Apartments? Empty

Back to top Go down

Huskies + Apartments?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next