It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

age vs. exercise limits?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
EnglishSibe
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2014-02-28

exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 9:17 pm

Threats and bullying isn't great and I don't react well to it. The 'I've been here longer than you so shut it', mentality doesn't work either.

I agree the amount of info here is amazing but I can do without what has just happened to sincere question about the welfare of my Sibe. In which I tied up to another post from another member. I even said how much I was exercising Tzar at the moment. The advice back was not advice, just used as a chance to lord it up over a newbie.

So, been chased off.

Thanks for taking the time to reply though, appreciate it.

Ian

Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 9:28 pm

You really shouldn't go.  Your Husky will benefit from staying.  

But one price you pay staying is receiving feedback and advice from people who know more than you and who have more experience than you.  People like this often speak/write with conviction, precision, and directness.

Condescension is not synonymous with knowledgeable experience.

Last edited by seattlesibe on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 9:31 pm

If you are upset about the response and the advice and want to quit, then log off, and don't log back on. I have not been part of this discussion but quite frankly we are a very open group that genuinely loves huskies and we try very honestly to advise all new members appropriately. If, in your infinite wisdom of husky ownership (all 2 days of it) you have decided that we are all uncouth, uneducated, and generally reprehensible Americans that are not worth your time on a Saturday night then GO OFFLINE!
Back to top Go down
Aryaowner
Puppy
Puppy
Aryaowner

Male Join date : 2012-11-27

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Itsahuskything has been one of the best resources I have found for questions regarding my Sibe. I do not see where anybody tried to intentionally bully you.
Best of Luck if you do go.
Back to top Go down
EnglishSibe
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 9:32 pm

Like implying anyone would exercise a dog for five mins per day. And then throwing your weight around as a bully. 'I've been here longer so shush'.

But keep it up. Good job.
Back to top Go down
Aryaowner
Puppy
Puppy
Aryaowner

Male Join date : 2012-11-27

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 9:34 pm

5minutes per month, in regards to age of the dog. Two Months = 10 minute walk etc. That is pretty standard for most dogs.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi, Tzar.  I don't generally join in these conversations.  I just wanted to say--totally objectively--that I did read your initial post as you intended it.  I also read Jeff's response and did not interpret it as rude or sassy.  I do think there's been a pretty strong miscommunication here.

While I understand you feel that you have been bullied after the fact and will respect your decision to leave, for no reason other than liking people to get along, I would implore you to take it with a grain of salt and stay.  You and Jeff both crossed the rudeness line after said miscommunication and I'm willing to give it a by if we can all walk away and learn from it.

Anyway... it is your decision to stay or to leave.  Good luck in your decision and I hope you enjoy your many years of husky-ownership. Smile

exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
EnglishSibe
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 10:20 pm

I thank you for your post and respect you taking the time and effort to reply. I appriciate the forum and like I said in my welcome post, spent hours and weeks reading the posts the members took the time to write. So I was able to prepare as much as possible for taking in Tzar.

As soon as the admin can delete my account, this would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

Ian
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 10:22 pm

I did reply to your email. I wish you luck and hope you understand our policies. Take care Smile

exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 Hailey10
Back to top Go down
seattlesibe
Senior
Senior
seattlesibe

Male Join date : 2013-02-05

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 10:22 pm

And for my sass and my rudeness alone, I apologize to the community.

I take no credit for any bullying or condescension.
Back to top Go down
http://www.k9convergencetraining.com
EnglishSibe
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 10:26 pm

I didn't realise the policy of not deleting accounts.

But many thanks in pointing that out.

Regards.
Back to top Go down
CourtneyLynn04
Newborn
Newborn
CourtneyLynn04

Female Join date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 2:31 pm

Our vet said no running until a year old. Apparently it's the repetitious movement that hurts their growth plates. Long walks, fetch, and hiking are fine.
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 2:58 pm

Exactly right.
And is that Mt. Hood from Trillium Lake?
Back to top Go down
CourtneyLynn04
Newborn
Newborn
CourtneyLynn04

Female Join date : 2014-02-28

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 3:02 pm

yes and yes! Good work :-)
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 03, 2014 5:22 am

EnglishSibe wrote:
I didn't realise the policy of not deleting accounts.

But many thanks in pointing that out.

Regards.

Hey there! I just wanted to attempt to persuade you to still be apart if the community. I have found everything extremely useful and everyone here would do anything for their furry friends, and there is a ton of insight to gain here. I am a first time husky owner, I have had my pup now for over a year. I have to say, I would have been in the dark if it wasn't for EVERYONE here many times and I am grateful this community exists. Sometimes there is a chance that you may run into an unpleasent encounter, but that is life. Don't write off everyone here beacause of one spat, it isn't worth it, versus everything you have to gain for staying and giving it another go. I have made true friends here that understand one of the most important decisions of my life, getting a husky, and can relate to me better than some of my IRL friends. And hell, I have actually made a real life friend from this forum, as well as many others have. There is many reasons to stay vs. your one reason to go, and I think you, as a new husky owner, would benefit more by staying.
Back to top Go down
jeanne67
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2014 2:03 pm

My question is about aging dogs and exercise. My female husky turned 8 in March. I'm a runner and hiker-she has always enjoyed the exercise/active playtime. My vet has given me great advice about changing food/diet, what health "red flags" to look for as she ages...but any specific advice about exercise would be helpful. I know that an active dog is a healthy dog but I don't want to stress her joints, hips, etc. Any input would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2014 8:03 pm

I ran my husky #1 until he was 11 or 12.
He was very strong, eager to run every day until he was attacked by a wolf hybrid.
That caused some internal injuries and as a result, he developed canine lupus.
We stopped running then.
So I don't know how long he would have gone without the lupus.

My only advice would be to limit running on pavement as much as possible.
As a 65 year old who's run for 40 years, that's the same advice I'd give humans.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2014 11:19 pm

My main leaders are still running strong at 7 and 9 years old...their sire just retired off the main string at 12. Activity aids to longevity of health.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Playing with the Big Dogs
Adult
Adult
Playing with the Big Dogs

Female Join date : 2013-12-04

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 EmptyWed May 21, 2014 1:44 am

You could add some glucosamine to her diet for joint heath. But I agree with what has been said if you keep a dog active and in good shape it helps them live longer and more pain free lives.
Back to top Go down
http://playingwiththebigdogs.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: age vs. exercise limits?   exercise - age vs. exercise limits? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

age vs. exercise limits?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2