It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sensitive tummy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Juneau3
Newborn
Newborn
Juneau3

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyWed May 02, 2012 8:12 pm

My baby has a very sensitive tummy and I have a feeling she is allergic to grains and wheat. The only food she seems to be okay on is the Orijen 6 fish. It is however very expensive and having recently adopted James a 2 year old husky I am wondering if there are any comparable foods that are a little more fiscally doable. Also is sensitive tummies common among huskies?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 7:01 am

Have you looked around at other fish based formulas? I'm not up on fish based foods since it doesn't agree with my sibe but perhaps someone else can recommend something for you.

And yes, sibes do have a tendency to have sensitive tummies.

Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:01 am

My female has a few food intolerances and what she does best on are 6-Fish Orijen and The Honest Kitchen Zeal (fish protein that is also grain free).

The other grain free, fish protein based kibble I have tried to mix in with her kibble are Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon Meal Formula, Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon, and Evo Herring & Salmon. I have also tried Ziwipeaks Venison and Fish, but this is even more expensive than Orijen and THK.

All of the above, as a mix in of about 30%, Ginger does fine. Out of all of the above, I believe they are all less than Orijen, but my preference, if I had to switch, would be Nature's Variety Salmon, or Evo Herring and Salmon. You'll need to check the price points compared to Orijen, but I believe they are less.

If you go to http://www.naturesvariety.com/tryit
You can get a $3 coupon for any size bag.

One other grain free fish kibble that I have not tried that looks pretty good is Earthborn Holistic Coast Catch.

Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:16 am

The closest to Orijen 6 Fish would be Acana Pacifica....made by the same company and still grain free

Juneau3 wrote:
My baby has a very sensitive tummy and I have a feeling she is allergic to grains and wheat. The only food she seems to be okay on is the Orijen 6 fish. It is however very expensive and having recently adopted James a 2 year old husky I am wondering if there are any comparable foods that are a little more fiscally doable. Also is sensitive tummies common among huskies?
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:25 am

I agree with David. We did Pacifica for awhile... Nearly the same as 6 fish. Since you're dog can handle that just fine I'd try it. Otherwise I'd recommend a single soure protein food.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:28 am

HarlosHealthyPets wrote:
The closest to Orijen 6 Fish would be Acana Pacifica....made by the same company and still grain free.

I also looked at Acana but in my area, the price savings were minimal.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:35 am

cmanding wrote:
HarlosHealthyPets wrote:
The closest to Orijen 6 Fish would be Acana Pacifica....made by the same company and still grain free.

Really? At the store closest to me 6 fish was about $15-20 more expensive than Pacifica for a 30lb...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:36 am

Hmmm....it is a pretty good difference in price here (approx $15 - $20 per large bag...depending on which store). That would have been the closest.

cmanding wrote:
HarlosHealthyPets wrote:

Back to top Go down
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 10:37 am

Hmmm....it is a pretty good difference in price here (approx $15 - $20 per large bag...depending on which store). That would have been the closest.

cmanding wrote:
HarlosHealthyPets wrote:

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 11:35 am

arooroomom wrote:
cmanding wrote:
HarlosHealthyPets wrote:

Really? At the store closest to me 6 fish was about $15-20 more expensive than Pacifica for a 30lb...
YES! I couldn't believe it either! And it was at a pet food outlet! Or maybe that's why...
But I've been looking at other less expensive fish protein kibble but when I priced it, it saved me about $5 on the smaller bags, and about $10 on the bigger bags. Since I do like the higher protein content in Orijen, I figured it was worth the extra money to just stick with Orijen.
Back to top Go down
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:34 pm

I guess it is a good thing your dog is not on the Orijen Regional Red....it is even more expensive than the fish...LOL

cmanding wrote:
arooroomom wrote:
cmanding wrote:
HarlosHealthyPets wrote:

YES! I couldn't believe it either! And it was at a pet food outlet! Or maybe that's why...
But I've been looking at other less expensive fish protein kibble but when I priced it, it saved me about $5 on the smaller bags, and about $10 on the bigger bags. Since I do like the higher protein content in Orijen, I figured it was worth the extra money to just stick with Orijen.
Back to top Go down
Juneau3
Newborn
Newborn
Juneau3

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Thank you all very much for responding. My husband and I did some research and it seems like you get what you pay for and although price differences do exist I think we will stick with orijen for now as it agrees with her so well. I have a feeling she is also allergic to chicken because the orijen puppy was even a little rough on her tummy. The 6 fish seems to make the most sense for her now. Because Orijen does not have treats at this point we have been giving her the EVO Herring and Salmon treats and those are about the only treats agreeable to her tummy. She had a hard time with beef treats. Poor thing!
Thanks again everyone!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 1:28 pm

She sure does sound a lot like my Ginger! Ginger does not tolerate any other form of protein in kibble form, however, if it's raw, dehydrated or freeze dried, she can handle treats with most protein. Have you tried those?

Also, there are dehydrated and/or freeze dried fish treats by Grandma Lucys, The Honest Kitchen and Stella and Chewys. I get mine from naturalk9supplies.com. I also get Snack21 salmon jerky and salmon sushi rolls and salmon skin bones - all with only 1 ingreditient - salmon.

Newborn
Newborn
Juneau3

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 1:43 pm

I will look into that Smile Thank you!!!!!
Back to top Go down
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy EmptyThu May 03, 2012 3:32 pm

If your dog does best with fish formula and you are looking for additional treat, you could also try treats made by Grizzly Salmon, PureBites, Honest Kitchen (wishes), Great Life and Natural Balance (I'm sure there are plenty of thers but those come to mind first and all grain free)

Juneau3 wrote:
Thank you all very much for responding. My husband and I did some research and it seems like you get what you pay for and although price differences do exist I think we will stick with orijen for now as it agrees with her so well. I have a feeling she is also allergic to chicken because the orijen puppy was even a little rough on her tummy. The 6 fish seems to make the most sense for her now. Because Orijen does not have treats at this point we have been giving her the EVO Herring and Salmon treats and those are about the only treats agreeable to her tummy. She had a hard time with beef treats. Poor thing!
Thanks again everyone!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sensitive tummy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sensitive tummy   Sensitive tummy Empty

Back to top Go down

Sensitive tummy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1