It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Eating/Chewing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 12:51 pm

I was told to start post here ('Smile') my 16 week old pup thinks its cool to eat everything in sight! We have a 2 year old child and 'Sniper' LOVES eating her socks! She not only eats them, but swallows them whole! we get them back via mouth or via poop! I know this is not good on her GI track! I have put the laundry basket in our childs room in the closet so there should not be an issue anymore but she has chewed thru our internet cord and 1 other electrical cord! Good thing is they were not plugged in or else we would have known when she got hit by 110V! Any suggestions are WELCOME! she has a rawhide and pig ear and she just eats the toy ropes, not chew them like normal dog but EATS them! I love having her around and i know she is going to be more energetic than our pug but come on! LOL so thanks for listening ('lol!')
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 1:14 pm

I'm thinking on this which is why I haven't responded right away, but for chords and things for now... I would suggest getting a bitter apple spray (pet stores sell it as a "no chew" spray) so she doesn't endanger herself on wires.

For now, let me think a little more on strategies. Hopefully some other people have some advice!

Eating/Chewing Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 1:30 pm

can you just block her off in a room when you are not able to 100% watch her? maybe the kitchen with less cords? I also know that on top of using the spry on the cords you could get cord wraps they are like a tube thing the cords go into to keep them together. maybe wrap them up and then spray them. have you used the Kong toys yet to have her chew on? I know mine will not touch them but a lot of people use them and put stuff into it as a treat. I also think it is just a puppy thing and that she will grow out of it. just hang in there a think of her like you did with your daughter and you just need to puppy proof you home like you did when your girl was young.
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 2:20 pm

thanks again Jenn! I am LOVING this forum thing! should have looked into this before purchasing her! we love her though and I feel the same way she is a pup and will grow out of the chewing stage. I have her fixed i think now where she is not in a crate ALL day! have all cords out of reach! she has several rubber chew toys and her bed in the room she is now while we are away. i am going home on my lunch break on days my husband works to let her out to potty. Just came in and no pee in the floor just a poop on her pad! YAH!!!! I'm thrilled she is doing better on the potty training. The crate during the day is just mean sometimes.....i would get bored as well in a crate with nuthin but a chew toy! Smile so some days she is in there if its longer than 4 hours when i can go home and check on her until she is completely house broke. So thanks you guys for the advice! keep it coming
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Crystal, I felt the same way you did thinking the crate was a mean thing and I have come to not minding it so much since the dogs do not mind it at all and I know the house is safe when we are at work. we have been testing them left out of the crate and the first time they tore up newspapers knocked over plants and ate our sofa blanket! they are now getting better and I leave them out for an hour in the morning if I head to the gym or if I'm just running to the store and they have been ok. Sierra is 6 and Jack around 2 and until he is really out of puppy stage I will not trust them more than an hour alone, the 2 if they can get into tiffs and just make a mess! there are some out there that do not need crates but it is something to relay on. mine know every morning they only get this one type of bone and they need to go and sit in their crate and wait for it and I close them in, they have a blanket, raw hide, and water in with them and we are gone about 8hrs a day. not sure what they do in there but they don't seem to mind it, to them it is their own space to hang out in.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Most of my dogs (except Bubba) have spent up to a year being crated. My four pounder still stays in her crate since she has a penchant for carpet eliminations. I wish I could have started Sioux earlier with the crate thing. He did this one day...
Eating/Chewing 0_IMAGE_007

... and that led to him being crated. It took tremendous effort and stress to get him used to it. He busted out of the metal wire crate by chewing off the welds. So we put the crate in a hallway so it was surrounded by walls, put 50 pounds of free weights on top, padlocked the door, slid a 150 pound toolbox up against the door and finally crammed a treadmill in there to lock it all in place. He still got out. Oh, I do NOT miss those days.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 4:11 pm

Check out this link

http://members.petfinder.com/~CO32/Training.shtml
Back to top Go down
Tommy
Newborn
Newborn

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 7:16 pm

I would try a product called Bitter Apple. You should spray it on anything she will put in her mouth and one taste of this stuff she will rethink what she tries in her mouth. Worth a shot.Bitter Apple
Back to top Go down
Muddy~Mira
Adult
Adult
Muddy~Mira

Female Join date : 2010-09-07

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptySat Sep 11, 2010 12:56 am

harrise wrote:
Most of my dogs (except Bubba) have spent up to a year being crated. My four pounder still stays in her crate since she has a penchant for carpet eliminations. I wish I could have started Sioux earlier with the crate thing. He did this one day...

... and that led to him being crated. It took tremendous effort and stress to get him used to it. He busted out of the metal wire crate by chewing off the welds. So we put the crate in a hallway so it was surrounded by walls, put 50 pounds of free weights on top, padlocked the door, slid a 150 pound toolbox up against the door and finally crammed a treadmill in there to lock it all in place. He still got out. Oh, I do NOT miss those days.

Oohhh I Been there ,,, Sofa Love seat Coffee Table My Explorer all 4 door Panels .. MMm How I Miss That ! ~LOL
Back to top Go down
Kat_Ameller
Newborn
Newborn
Kat_Ameller

Female Join date : 2013-04-11

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptyThu Apr 11, 2013 1:32 am

I have a 1 year old named Max he is a bit of a handful he tends to eat everything in sight and I mean anything! A few months ago I was cleaning the house and left some of the bedroom doors open ( I shampooed the carpets.) well Maxed went into our roommate Dylans room (he works on cars.) well he found a engine bolt ate it along with my mothers china she gave me, my couch, the middle of my mattress, and the carpet in the hallway. We had to take him to the vet to have some of his intestines removed I think it was about an inch, even after we puppy proofed the house kept the doors closed he started chewing/eating his dog beds in his kennel and now the chew on the kennel its self! He has chipped two teeth doing this and I honestly do not know what to do. I never have owned a dog he is my boyfriends I'm more of a reptile person, so I new at this and I have tried everything from Thunder-shirts to aroma therapy nothing has worked. I need help and I do not want him on meds.
Back to top Go down
Papabear
Puppy
Puppy
Papabear

Male Join date : 2013-03-09

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 3:04 pm

I'd be concerned about the wires, too. You could always try to double his current exercise regimen. I notice a huge difference in Loki's behavior when bike him before leaving.

harrise wrote:

Wow that's horrible!
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Quote :
I need help and I do not want him on meds.
What is his mental stimulation like? Huskies don't only require physical exercise but also mental exercise as well. They are extremely smart dogs. For Christmas we got Karli to treat toys that we put one meal a day into and she has to work to get it out. This is on top of going over her training she has learned (sit, lay down, shake, etc) a couple times a day to refresh her memory and work her brain out. It helps to keep her from chewing on things she's not supposed to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eating/Chewing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eating/Chewing   Eating/Chewing Empty

Back to top Go down

Eating/Chewing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1