It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pet Insurance?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

Pet Insurance? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 4:08 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I tink you pay the deductible when an incidence happens. I just like the fact that its an annual deductible, not case by case.
Deductible is usually per case.
So, if you went to the vet twice in a year, and you submitted a claim for both vet visits, you would pay the first $100 for EACH vet visit, making it a total of $200 for that year.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Yeah, but with this plan it isn't case by case. I called and asked. Which is nifty.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MorganHamper
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyFri May 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Pet insurance was always confusing to me, it seems like they have so many exclusions on things you end up having to pay for.. I do have a membership with "Pet Assure" though; I guess they're more of a discount program than pet insurance, but I don't think they exclude anything from their coverage.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 12:02 pm

Melissa, what did you end up going with? We are still up in the air with everything.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 12:37 pm

BTW, we got petassure. We automatically get 25 % off all vet services at our vet that we are already attending, including surgery.
Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyThu May 31, 2012 1:20 pm

i have them both on Banfield [through petsmart] wellness plans... the puppy is 32 $ per month and Colby is 26 $ per month.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 02, 2012 10:01 am

MelissaI wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:
Alright, we decided on petsheatlh care plan - its 10/month with a 250 deductible annual for emergency. or 13/month with 100$ deductible - accident only but still pretty awesome.

https://www.petinsurancestore.com/

I just looked into this and level 2 sounds like it might work for us. I get so confused with insurance though. So you have to pay the $100 annual deductible regardless if you put any claims through? In addition to the $23 a month (per pet)?

No the deductible would be what you must pay for your first claim, in others words say your deductible is 150.00 per year, so your dog breaks his leg incurring a bill of 2,000, you would be reimbursed 1,850. That is how you pay your deductible.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 11:03 pm

We ended up getting trupanion. No.deductible, covers 90% ans for both dogs we pay 83/month
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 11:35 pm

I have RSPCA (Australian version of ASPCA I guess) insurance for Freya. I pay just under $40 a month. 10% of everything I pay goes to helping stop aminal cruelty.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Xhermes
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 10, 2012 10:16 am

I cant comment on and companies because I'm from the Netherlands. What I do know is that I glad we had one with our previous puppy. She had 2 surgeries and a couple of scans, bloodwork etc. In the 3 months we had her. It would've cost us around 3000 euro ( I believe around 4000 USD? ). Now it cost us around 500 euro ( 700 USD? ) in total. But thats including regular shots, anti-flea, tick, worm etc.

So with Dex it was a no-brainer actually. I'm glad to pay the fee and have peace of mind I can give my dog what it needs, when I need it.
Back to top Go down
kell05
Newborn
Newborn
kell05

Female Join date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 1:28 am

I am confused though about how it works? My vet always wants their payment in full at time of service? And when I asked they said " we don't have pet insurance".?

Is it a back pay type thing? or how does it work?
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:56 am

kell05 wrote:
I am confused though about how it works? My vet always wants their payment in full at time of service? And when I asked they said " we don't have pet insurance".?

Is it a back pay type thing? or how does it work?

See Claudia's reply 8/15/2012 8:05PM she explained it well.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t5476p40-should-i-get-pet-insurance
Back to top Go down
Xhermes
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 12:11 pm

How it works with us :

Bills till 500 euro you have to pay in full upfront. You can file those in with the insurer and they book it back to you ( minus some administration payment, so it saves to add up bills from the vet and declare them at once )

Bills over 500 euro the vet sends them to the insurer directly.

All depends on the insurer and the vet though so make sure to inform if your vet does business with the insurer of choice.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 6:45 pm

I recently got VPI insurance for my two pups. I got the careguard coverage that reimburses for routine visits for Yukon, since I have to get all of his shots/neuter done. Since Nikko already got his puppy shots and neuter I just got that standard medical plan for accidents and illnesses. For the regular annual visits it is not worth the money to get the routine coverage, it is only worth it to get it if you have a puppy that needs all of the shots and spay/neuter. My monthly premium is about 50 per month for both of them. Without the routine it would be only about 28 per month. I am able to get it deducted from my paycheck so it is pretty convenient!

I went for my first vet visit with Yukon on September 1st and it cost me 108 bucks for: Distemper booster, fecal test, deworming, kennel cough and the exam. I submitted the claim via email on the 1st, and yesterday I got a check for $58.00.

This is with all pet insurance policies. You have to pay your vet up front, submit the claim form with the vet records and they will process it and send you a reimbursement check within 30 days if it is covered.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Does anyone have any experience with Embrace?
Callie's quote would be $15 a month with a $500 deductible and 80% reimbursement.
I don't mind the deductible because I figure if anything were to happen, I'd be paying that anyway. This plan covers illness & accident.
Guess I'm just looking to see if Embrace is a good company to go through. I'm kind of on the fences because all other quotes I've gotten for her are around $30 a month so it makes me wonder why this one is less.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 6:11 pm

Thought I'd toss this in:

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/my-top-five-pet-insurance-success-stories?WT.mc_id=Email;NewsLetter;Petwire;Sept-19;Popular_blog_posts

Love Dr. Patty's blog postings.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 12:50 pm

So I got myself all panicked about a million different scenarios and went ahead and signed Callie up for insurance. For her, my best option was to go with Embrace. It'll cost me a little over $16 a month, $500 annual deductible and $5,000 annual limit. I did include Rx drug coverage but I can take that off at any time. It's only and extra $2 a month so I figure if the day comes that Callie should ever need a prescription drug, $2 will make $200 so much more worth it. Plus, if she does need meds, she'll meet her deductible sooner. Mostly, with her being a mixed breed and me knowing nothing about her parents, this gives me a huge piece of mind that if anything else should come up medically wrong with her, I'll have a little bit of backing. The good thing about Embrace is they cover genetic and breed specific issues so if there is something she inherits from her parents, we'll be covered.

I really didn't need another monthly bill, especially given that I have no idea what my working situation will be like once I move, but I really think this was necessary. I would hate to be in a situation where I couldn't afford to help Callie through something.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 4:50 pm

Time to revive this thread.

One a Siberian FB page I belong to, I just learned that Trupanion, the company that I currently have, does NOT cover if your pet..

-Isn't vaccinated (I titer, I do vaccinate)
-If your pet isn't altered by a year of age (Sheba is not fixed yet)
-And if you don't sign up within 30 days of adopting (I had Kennedy for a year+ before signing up).

Soooooo..... this question is for those of you who went with Trupanion.

DID YOU KNOW THIS?

Now I need a new company.. but I don't know how to read these policies. Any tips?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
wpskier222
Senior
Senior
wpskier222

Female Join date : 2013-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 5:00 pm

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 8:04 pm

They don't stop covering you for everything, just certain things and they don't know when you adopted her. I personally do something different with vaccines...you can message me if you want. Vaccines are preventative care and they won't pay for parvo care if you didn't prevent parvo...thats how they look at it. They won't cover anything that pertains to her not being spayed - so that means if she gets mammary tumors because she wasn't spayed before 1 year of age they won't cover it. That doesn't mean they won't cover a UTI or infection. Delilah was put on after being with us for 30 days and we have submitted two claims for her.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 12:54 am

Okay Megan, I'll message you!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

Male Join date : 2014-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2015 6:20 pm

So I see it has been a while since the last post, maybe there have been more experiences with the insurance companies that could help me with my decision.

I'm looking at three difference insurance companies. PetPlan, HealthyPaws, and Trupanion.
They all have a 90% reimbursement, 200 dollar deductible - except HealthyPaw it's 250.

PetPlan is 30 a month for the silver package with up to 14k in coverage.
HealthyPaws is 36 a month for unlimited coverage.
Trupanion is 33 a month for unlimited coverage.

There are just certain differences between them that is making it hard for me to decide.  Question
All of them cover accident, emergency, congenital, and hereditary. None cover routine visits, or vaccinations.

With PetPlan they have a limit, I'm not so sure that I would even reach that limit but still, it's a limit that the other two don't have.

With HealthyPaws it's more expensive than the other two and either way my premium might go up when Klaus isn't a puppy anymore. Also, HealthyPaws has a 12 month wait before hip dysplasia is covered. However this is the only plan out of the three that has a YEARLY deductible not by illness.

Trupanion covers what the other plans do, but it is extra for alternative therapies which the other two include, and I think it also costs extra for hip dysplasia, I couldn't find if there is a special wait for the dysplasia or not.

I feel like I might be safe with any, I guess the HealthyPaws just worries me because of the wait on hip dysplasia? I just want to be covered for accidents, and possible husky problems such as cataracts and the hips. How were you able to decide on one?

Sorry for the longggg post. Guess I'm just nervous about picking the wrong plan.
Back to top Go down
AnyaLuv
Teenager
Teenager
AnyaLuv

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 12:40 am

^ For all pet insurance, make sure you read the fine print in terms of hip dysplasia. Some have a waiting list, but others won't cover certain breeds who are known to be prone to hip dysplasia--some companies include Huskies on that list.

How old is your dog? If he's young, a year waiting on hip dysplasia coverage shouldn't be a big deal (unless you're concerned about his breeding/parents/genetic issues).

Back to top Go down
http://www.siberiansamoyed.com
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 12:13 pm

There is no waiting period of HD with Trupanion. I love it and we have been very happy with Trupanion.
Back to top Go down
mssuchy
Teenager
Teenager
mssuchy

Male Join date : 2014-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 04, 2015 2:37 pm

Update: I did end up going with Petplan. They had a 1 day waiting period for accidental coverage, and 14 days for illness. We're past the waiting period now so he's covered for everything including HD. They had a better price for me and pretty much the same coverage.
He's only 4 months so hopefully we don't have to use our insurance any time soon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pet Insurance?   Pet Insurance? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pet Insurance?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Medical Issues-