It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Flea infestation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Female Join date : 2012-03-01

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptyFri May 11, 2012 2:27 pm

Ok, with Tori (Koda)'s permission, I'm posting this here.

When I rescued Cinder, (The piebald) I also rescued a 7 yr old Great Dane. Her story totally pulled at my heart, and my girlfriend's, so we took her. She is a fully papered, AKC dane. She was born in NO, and was found by her owners, after going back, in the rubble of Katrina aftermath. She switched owners 3 times since then, and her last owner decided she was too old, and dumped her.

Here are some pics of her:

Flea infestation Kizmit10

Flea infestation Kizmit11

Flea infestation Kizmit12

HERE IS THE ISSUE:

She is INFESTED with fleas. I have been bathing and soaking her for 2 hours already. I am going to take her to the vet first thing Monday, but I was wondering if anyone would know what I can do to help her feel more comfortable while she heals. She is itching and has sores all over her. I have been putting coconut oil on the sores, mixed with alittle antibiotic cream, but she just looks miserable.

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 1:36 am

For a flea infestation the way to go is Advantage, Frontline or any of the other kick ass flea killers. Organics might work but take longer and then you'll be fighting a battle of various flea cycles. (eggs, nits, adults)
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 1:43 am

Comfortis is worth its weight in gold to me. We got a really really bad infestation a few years ago and I tried everything with no luck. Bought a box of Comfortis and it worked like a charm. I bought the 6 dose box in 2010 and still have half of it left because I just don't need to use it. I haven't used anything for fleas since, but I keep it on hand just in case. You might wanna look into it, followed by some essential oils (lavender and cedarwood work for fleas, I think). Val knows tons about oils and will probably pop in somewhere :p
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 2:41 am

Myndi wrote:
Comfortis is worth its weight in gold to me. We got a really really bad infestation a few years ago and I tried everything with no luck. Bought a box of Comfortis and it worked like a charm. I bought the 6 dose box in 2010 and still have half of it left because I just don't need to use it. I haven't used anything for fleas since, but I keep it on hand just in case. You might wanna look into it, followed by some essential oils (lavender and cedarwood work for fleas, I think). Val knows tons about oils and will probably pop in somewhere :p

Comfortis didn't work on Kale. He started itching a ridiculous amount and I saw fleas crawling around his belly (and I am extremely consistent with flea control, to the day). And that's with spraying the yard with IGR. Comfortis and Trifexis are notorious for not working on some dogs and working great on others, Kale just turned out to be the unlucky one. Sad

I'd go with Advantage, It kills the fleas 2x faster than Frontline Plus. But if you also have a tick problem, I'd go with Frontline since Advantage doesn't have anything in it for ticks.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 2:55 am

Quote :
Comfortis didn't work on Kale. He started itching a ridiculous amount and I saw fleas crawling around his belly (and I am extremely consistent with flea control, to the day). And that's with spraying the yard with IGR. Comfortis and Trifexis are notorious for not working on some dogs and working great on others, Kale just turned out to be the unlucky one. Sad

I'd go with Advantage, It kills the fleas 2x faster than Frontline Plus. But if you also have a tick problem, I'd go with Frontline since Advantage doesn't have anything in it for ticks.

That's so strange! Maybe its because we live in such different areas, but I can hardly find anyone locally that can still use Frontline/Advantage with success. Everyone returns it lately. I've only heard from one person about Comfortis or Trifexis not having an effect on fleas and we sell a ton of it where I work at. I wonder if it could be a regional thing?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 4:59 am

I'd start with a bath in Dawn dish soap (maybe followed by a medicated shampoo for the sores if your vet suggests such a thing?) and a dose of Capstar first, and then a good chemical flea/tick product such as Advantix or something similar. If you care to do oils in addition to that, it's entirely up to you. Have you determined the reason for the sores?

Teenager
Teenager
Snow White

Female Join date : 2012-04-02

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 9:47 am

We use advantix in our house because there are alot of ticks around here.

Sura is flea and tick free. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 11:55 am

I have used the oils on my dogs for about 3 months now, so I will be switching to those soon, but I couldn't use those to get rid of the eggs etc.

Dawn was the FIRST thing I used. I did a 2 hour bath of alternating dawn and a flea shampoo that my vet gave me. I don't remember the name, and I threw away the bottle, Flea infestation 1625187496

I got Advantix and put it on her. This is the only time I will use chemicals, because it's a topical and I don't like the topical solutions. Comfortis didn't work on my dogs either, so I didn't even try to use it on Kizmit (that's her new name)

I think I got them all off, I don't see anymore, and I'd brushed her with a horse brush to make sure that there was nothing I missed.

I was really more concerned with the pain she was in from the fleas, and wondered if there was some kind of itch relief etc that I could give her BUT she is feeling fine it looks like now.

The advice here confirmed what I thought to do.

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 12:30 pm

You can also get an IGR or insect growth regulator to spray your yard and house. Its non insecticidal and is safe to use around pets and children. It would help the flea population that kizmit introduced decrease dramatically. Brand names that are trusted are Nylar and Archer. Smile

ETA: you might be able to use some hydrocortisone spray that people use for athletes foot to help stop the itch and resuce some of the pain, as long as she doesn't lick it off. I used that on Kale when he had a hot spot a year and a half ago and it really help him leave it alone so it would heal.

Last edited by hypers987 on Sat May 12, 2012 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 12:42 pm

While I understand the urgency to get the fleas off her and keep them off... Bathing a dog (especially in such strong shampoo such as flea/tick) would render the topical product essentially useless if applied directly after...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 12:51 pm

arooroomom wrote:
While I understand the urgency to get the fleas off her and keep them off... Bathing a dog (especially in such strong shampoo such as flea/tick) would render the topical product essentially useless if applied directly after...

The bathes were an hour prior to putting the advantix. I made sure that she was completely dry and had waited the recommended hour.

Last edited by Tiff&Kya on Sat May 12, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 12:52 pm

hypers987 wrote:
You can also get an IGR or insect growth regulator to spray your yard and house. Its non insecticidal and is safe to use around pets and children. It would help the flea population that kizmit introduced decrease dramatically. Brand names that are trusted are Nylar and Archer. Smile

We just did this as well, but we used the ortho max spray that we have been using for a few years now. We just have to wait til it dries to let the dogs out.
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 12:54 pm

I missed Val's portion about the sores:

The sores are because of her scratching and chewing, I'm supposing. The vet said it probably was too.

She seems to be acting a lot better, and not scratching so much.
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 1:00 pm

Tiff&Kya wrote:
arooroomom wrote:

The bathes were an hour prior to putting the advantix. I made sure that she was completely dry and had waited the recommended hour.

From my experience it's best to wait at least 24 hours but 48-72 is better... It disperses through the oils in the skin and if the bath has stripped that...

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Tiff&Kya
Adult
Adult
Tiff&Kya

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation EmptySat May 12, 2012 1:07 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Tiff&Kya wrote:
arooroomom wrote:

From my experience it's best to wait at least 24 hours but 48-72 is better... It disperses through the oils in the skin and if the bath has stripped that...

I will probably reapply then, later in the week. I put it on mainly because I needed to get the rest of the fleas off that I couldn't with the bath.

I'll ask the vet on monday to make sure it is safe to reapply it.

ETA: I couldn't let her stay in the house until the fleas were gone, that's why I was in such a rush to get her cleaned up, and flea free.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flea infestation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flea infestation   Flea infestation Empty

Back to top Go down

Flea infestation

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1