It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Fleas and Nails

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Female Join date : 2012-05-14

Fleas and Nails Empty
PostSubject: Fleas and Nails   Fleas and Nails EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Ok I have two questions.

1. I bought Quick Detecting nail clippers. I thought her nails were ready to be trimmed but the detector was red for the all. So I wanted to post pictures and have you all decide if they need trimming or if they're good. I just want to make sure the trimmer isn't defective.

Fleas and Nails A81cece5Fleas and Nails 3e2294c8

2. My baby has fleas :/ I washed her in Dawn and suffocated them. I started at the neck line to make a barrier and then washed the rest of her. I did not wash her head as she was very scared and whining Sad I found several dead fleas on her body from the neck down but found one live flea on her head and what I believe are eggs. Now what should I do? I hate to keep washing her. Advice? :-D
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

Fleas and Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Nails   Fleas and Nails EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:35 pm

There is a great thread about essential oils, garlic and apple cider vinegar. I've been using the ACV and garlic for right at a week now and all my babies are flea free Smile
As for the nails, when my Foster puppies nails get sharp I use fingernail clippers and cut the tips off then use an emery board and file the rough edges.

Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Fleas and Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Nails   Fleas and Nails EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:37 pm

Do you remember which thread exactly?

And good idea about the emery board. Will have to invest in one!
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

Fleas and Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Nails   Fleas and Nails EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:44 pm

It's under the grooming section...natural flea and tick preventative. Smile

Or there is always the commercial flea/tick stuff like advantage.
Are you giving her heartworm meds yet? You can look into the pills that offer complete protection against heartworm/worms/fleas/ticks too.

Dawn is the best for the initial attack on fleas though, you should get a flea/lice comb, and that will help remove the eggs and remaining fleas from her for now.
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

Fleas and Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Nails   Fleas and Nails EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:47 pm

Her nails could have the very tips snipped off. When you hold the quick-detecting clipper on the nail, are you holding it near the tip where you will actually make the cut? If you are holding it too far up, it would detect quick. I you do not feel comfortable clipping them, you should find a friend who clips their dogs nails to come over and give you some tips and pointers. Better to be safe and to try to always make nail clipping a positive experience for her!
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Fleas and Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Nails   Fleas and Nails EmptySun May 20, 2012 11:57 pm

Thanks guys! I do feel comfortable as I always did my cats when he had claws, which to me is far more challenging than clipping a dogs Smile Even though my boy sat good for me. But I will take a closer look at the clipper and just clip the tips with regular clippers.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Fleas and Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Nails   Fleas and Nails EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:25 pm

agree the tips should be cut off, they look a bit long to me. I'm surprised the vet didn't do it for you.
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Fleas and Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Nails   Fleas and Nails EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:26 pm

Just went to the vet today actually, but she still didn't do it. Should I use my clippers or can I use regular nail clippers for just the tips?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

Fleas and Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Nails   Fleas and Nails EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:27 pm

I use the gigantic toenail clippers to trim Kale's dew claws Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Fleas and Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Nails   Fleas and Nails EmptyFri May 25, 2012 10:30 pm

Yup, I got pair of those... I think that's what they are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fleas and Nails Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fleas and Nails   Fleas and Nails Empty

Back to top Go down

Fleas and Nails

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1