A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Miya and Jane!, our October HOTM winners! HOTM - November : TBA!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Miya and Jane,
our October HOTM Winners!
Spooktacular Huskies!





Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Free Spirit Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys


Share | .
 

 Question about food....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : MD

PostSubject: Question about food....   Thu May 31, 2012 8:52 pm

I've noticed that a lot of you feed something like Grandma Lucy's but you also feed a kibble, why do you do that? scratch Also is Blue Wilderness puppy a good food, I know dogfoodadvisor gives it 5 stars. Balon's poop is still mushy so I want to try something other then the Nutro Ultra he has been on. Remember he did not like Acana or Orijen. Thanks! Laughing
Back to top Go down
i<3neo
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-07-27
Location : Tennessee

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Thu May 31, 2012 10:37 pm

I cant answer for the Grandma Lucys, as I have never fed it, so Im not sure about mixing it with kibble. But, I fed Blue Wilderness for a while, and Mine did fine on it, had no issues whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Santa Cruz, California

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Thu May 31, 2012 10:41 pm

I feed grandma lucys and kibble because it's cheaper and the food lasts longer. It also helps him feel more full throughout the day.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : MD

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Thu May 31, 2012 10:45 pm

i<3neo wrote:
I cant answer for the Grandma Lucys, as I have never fed it, so Im not sure about mixing it with kibble. But, I fed Blue Wilderness for a while, and Mine did fine on it, had no issues whatsoever.

Can I ask why you stopped using it? Just curious...
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-05-02
Location : MD

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Thu May 31, 2012 10:45 pm

hypers987 wrote:
I feed grandma lucys and kibble because it's cheaper and the food lasts longer. It also helps him feel more full throughout the day.

ahh makes sense!
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Male Join date : 2011-11-16
Location : West Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Thu May 31, 2012 11:24 pm

I feed Grandma Lucy's Artisan pork. I feed the pork becuase it is the higest protein in the Artisan variety. Artisan is the cheaper..it has potatoes for carb. GL's Pureformance uses chickpeas and i hear is better quality than the Artisan. However, I mix in some raw chicken, egg, or beef in the evening just to give her some added nutrition and to make her feel a bit more full. I just ordered a small back of Evo Salmon and Herring to mix in as well. If i was using the Pureformance I don't know that I would mix anything in. She LOVES GL.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-25
Location : Santa Cruz, California

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Thu May 31, 2012 11:31 pm

kclee wrote:
I feed Grandma Lucy's Artisan pork. I feed the pork becuase it is the higest protein in the Artisan variety. Artisan is the cheaper..it has potatoes for carb. GL's Pureformance uses chickpeas and i hear is better quality than the Artisan. However, I mix in some raw chicken, egg, or beef in the evening just to give her some added nutrition and to make her feel a bit more full. I just ordered a small back of Evo Salmon and Herring to mix in as well. If i was using the Pureformance I don't know that I would mix anything in. She LOVES GL.

I just started feeding Evo salmon and herring as well. Kale LOVES it. He chows the kibble down before the Grandma Lucys now lol
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Thu May 31, 2012 11:34 pm

We are actually feeding EXACTLY what you are hoping to. I feed GL pureformance chicken and Blue Wilderness Salmon or Duck. The dogs love them both. At first I was nervous to switch from the acana we were using, but Delilah did incredibly well on BW Salmon befo, so we thought why not? Plus, it's much easiest to get than acana and I get a hefty discount because my mom works for petco.

We just switched to two a day feeding, but when. We we doing three a day meals looked like this for Cato :

Morning: 3/4 cup of GL

Lunch: 1/2 or 3/4 c. Of BW (depending on level of activity)

Dinner: 3/4 cup of GL

You can adjust accordingly but the GL pureformance is much higher in calorie content than kibbles, so you feed less. Also, a 10lb bag makes 51 lbs of food and is way cheaper per pound than kibble.

The dogs love it and in the grand scheme of things, your wallet will too. Prepare for jumps of joy at meal time,

BTW, per Claudia's advice on protein/fat ration we are actually feeding the BW Salmon to both of them, not the puppy. It's not that much of difference and with the pureformance as our primary food, I don't think it will make a huge difference.

Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/mheath2
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Thu May 31, 2012 11:35 pm

Sorry for typos. On my phone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/mheath2
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
avatar

Female Join date : 2010-10-12
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:07 am

Balonsmom wrote:
I've noticed that a lot of you feed something like Grandma Lucy's but you also feed a kibble, why do you do that? scratch Also is Blue Wilderness puppy a good food, I know dogfoodadvisor gives it 5 stars. Balon's poop is still mushy so I want to try something other then the Nutro Ultra he has been on. Remember he did not like Acana or Orijen. Thanks! Laughing
Grandma Lucys and The Honest Kitchen are higher quality food, with a higher price point. If you can afford to feed 100% of food like this, great! However, most of us that do a mix with kibble is to stretch the cost out to make it for affordable. Or, some may do a mix for rotation or so that they know that if they had to, they can make a cold switch and feed 100% of either food without transition.

I know a few on the forum that has fed Blue Wilderness Puppy withut issue. You could also take a look other all life stage dog food but make sure that the Ca:P ratio is close to 1.5:1.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-05-13
Location : Colorado Springs, CO

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:32 am

A lot of people also add in kibble or raw meat with GL/THK to add extra protein.
Back to top Go down
TooManyHuskies
...is a fool


Join date : 2012-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
I've noticed that a lot of you feed something like Grandma Lucy's but you also feed a kibble, why do you do that? scratch Also is Blue Wilderness puppy a good food, I know dogfoodadvisor gives it 5 stars. Balon's poop is still mushy so I want to try something other then the Nutro Ultra he has been on. Remember he did not like Acana or Orijen. Thanks! Laughing

I think a lot of people have good intentions with recommendations but most are from people that really shouldn't be giving nutritional advice. They are entitled to their opinions but what they talk about is just parroted from other websites.

First, forget about dehydrated diets. The people that run Grandma Lucy & The Honest Kitchen know enough about dogs to cut their nails and brush them. They have no experience with dogs on a scientific level and the products are a total rip-off. Second, forget about puppy food. Just use a good ALS food.

Look for a simple chicken/beef/fish formula with about 25% protein and 15% fat. Good ones are, in no particular order:

Precise Foundation/Chicken & Rice
Dr. Tim's Kinesis
Annamaet Encore, Salcha, Ultra, Extra
Verus Life Advantage
Victor
Hi-Tek Rations
Pro Plan ALS
Canidae Chicken & Rice
Pro Pac
Nutrisource

Forget the fads like dehydrated foods and avoid anything made by Champion Foods.


Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
avatar

Female Join date : 2009-12-13
Location : South Fl

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:22 pm

TooManyHuskies wrote:
I think a lot of people have good intentions with recommendations but most are from people that really shouldn't be giving nutritional advice. They are entitled to their opinions but what they talk about is just parroted from other websites.

First, forget about dehydrated diets. The people that run Grandma Lucy & The Honest Kitchen know enough about dogs to cut their nails and brush them. They have no experience with dogs on a scientific level and the products are a total rip-off. Second, forget about puppy food. Just use a good ALS food.

Look for a simple chicken/beef/fish formula with about 25% protein and 15% fat. Good ones are, in no particular order:

Precise Foundation/Chicken & Rice
Dr. Tim's Kinesis
Annamaet Encore, Salcha, Ultra, Extra
Verus Life Advantage
Victor
Hi-Tek Rations
Pro Plan ALS
Canidae Chicken & Rice
Pro Pac
Nutrisource

Forget the fads like dehydrated foods and avoid anything made by Champion Foods.



Would you like to give us your actual personal experience with these foods? Because you and your counterpart who visited a few weeks ago do nothing but trash other foods and name plug a bunch of kibbles the majority of us wouldn't touch. We don't know anything about you, what your dogs are like, what they do, or if you even have any. If you're looking to sell or just trash other foods you have come to the wrong place.

People are more than willing to listen when you say things such as "THK and GL aren't good because of abc, but these other foods are good because of xyz."

However calling the people who run those companies nothing more than incompetent petco bathers, and spouting low grade kibble as a far superior diet gets you no where.

_________________
Force Free Training Thread
Cheyenne, Mishka, Mickey, Rodeo, & Odin

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
avatar

Female Join date : 2010-09-09
Location : Deltona, FL

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:38 pm

But Kristina, he talks with the pros you know! We should all bow to his wisdom!

There's no use asking him/her any questions or stating any facts. He/she won't listen and just repeat the same things over and over and over.

_________________
-Sara

Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-08-07
Location : Michigan

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm still trying to figure out how THK and GL are lower in quality then the crap he tried to convince us the pros use.

PRO PLAN? Did he really just suggest PRO PLAN? I think I'm gonna faint.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief


Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:01 pm

TooManyHuskies.............................. TooFewBrainCells
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-01-29
Location : Broken Arrow, OK

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Without providing any facts or document on these foods I do not feel you are worth listening.

I agree with Kristina if we had more information on your dogs, pictures, how many you have what kind whether siberian or what??it may provide some validity your what you are saying or spouting.

I Have not been a member here that long but I have found some really good information with facts backing it.

bounce
Back to top Go down
brady.law
Adult
Adult
avatar

Male Join date : 2011-04-14
Location : Roseville, CA

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:23 pm

TooManyHuskies

You have a charm and tact I am most certainly jealous of, I know with a lot of time and hard work, I can hopefully become half the husky god you are... I believe in me, but the question is sir, do you?


Making a new account and having your first post be trying to sell us something won't make that many friends...

Making a new account and trying to sell us something while insulting everyone in the process, repeatedly, even less friends.

So instead of being a little know it all butthole why don't you list where you gained your wealth of knowledge that surpasses everyone on this forum?
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2011-02-10
Location : Virginia

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:38 pm

TooManyHuskies wrote:

I think a lot of people have good intentions with recommendations but most are from people that really shouldn't be giving nutritional advice. They are entitled to their opinions but what they talk about is just parroted from other websites.

First, forget about dehydrated diets. The people that run Grandma Lucy & The Honest Kitchen know enough about dogs to cut their nails and brush them. They have no experience with dogs on a scientific level and the products are a total rip-off. Second, forget about puppy food. Just use a good ALS food.

Look for a simple chicken/beef/fish formula with about 25% protein and 15% fat. Good ones are, in no particular order:

Precise Foundation/Chicken & Rice
Dr. Tim's Kinesis
Annamaet Encore, Salcha, Ultra, Extra
Verus Life Advantage
Victor
Hi-Tek Rations
Pro Plan ALS
Canidae Chicken & Rice
Pro Pac
Nutrisource

Forget the fads like dehydrated foods and avoid anything made by Champion Foods.

I understand that a dog may do fine eating some of those brands you listed. I have used some myself over the 23 years that I have owned huskies. Nutrisource makes a good food and I occasionally contemplate switching back to it. However, here's my question for TooManyHuskies... Is feeding The Honest Kitchen or Grandma Lucy's detrimental to a dog? If it is, it is certainly nice of you to try to stop us from hurting our dogs. It would be nice for you to tell us why as well. If, in fact, you just have problems with us feeding expensive food that, in your opinion, is not worth the money, then it is not really your place to admonish our choices unless we ask for your opinion.

My first husky lived 17 years and many of those years she ate Pro Pac because back in the days of few food choices it was one of the foods she could tolerate. I'm fine with you suggesting a particular brand of dog food. Just don't come on this forum demeaning our food choices for no reason. I really don't care if these guys are feeding their dogs caviar... It is not my business!! (Unless caviar is poison to dogs... I wouldn't know... I've never feed it... )
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-05-13
Location : Colorado Springs, CO

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:58 pm

I'm going to school to be an animal nutritionist and specialize in natural diets. I'm not uneducated and know what is worth spending my money on. 25% protein? No thanks. I have no interests in any of those foods and the only one I have respect for is Annamaet since that is what most mushers I know use, however it is nowhere near the best. Best food on the market that is not actual raw is Ziwipeak though it is pricey. I'll never feed my dogs food with grains of any kind or with a low percentage of protein. Coming on here and acting like your word is absolute is not going to get you anywhere, you just come across ignorant sitting here saying we all are stupid and these foods are what to feed just because you say that it is so. You have no reasoning behind it except saying that the companies are only able to do as much as a bather... Obviously not when both companies have had their food make a substantial difference in thousand's of dogs quality of life and has proven to even help certain medical conditions become much more mild or manageable. There's a reason why their price tag is that high and people still buy it. It's not just to waste money. Raw will always prevail in my book but for off days or those who can't find cheap meat/don't feel comfortable with raw, GL, Addiction, NRG, THK and Ziwipeak are far superior ingredients wise and the way they process than the foods you listed.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
avatar

Female Join date : 2012-01-11
Location : Illinois

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:06 am

Any of you heard of or use Native performance dog food? I was at a outdoor show recently and Native had a booth there. The rep gave me a sample bag. Raven is on TOTW High Plains or Prairie lol the bison and venison one, and she's doing great. Any opinions or info on Native?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
avatar

Female Join date : 2010-10-12
Location : Denver, CO

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:20 am

I have heard of Native. It's what Storm was on before we adopted him. There are different levels depending on how active they are. The price point on the bag is affordable. It does have rice, oat and barley. But I'm not a big fan of it because it does have grain and although Storm can handle it OK, he's does better without it.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief


Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:57 am

paleobones wrote:
Any of you heard of or use Native performance dog food? I was at a outdoor show recently and Native had a booth there. The rep gave me a sample bag. Raven is on TOTW High Plains or Prairie lol the bison and venison one, and she's doing great. Any opinions or info on Native?

4 of 5 star rating, it should be good quality even though it doesn't make TooFewBrainCells list.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/native-performance-dog-food-dry/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Question about food....   

Back to top Go down
 

Question about food....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

 Similar topics

-
» Question re food
» worm casting question
» question about worms
» Hey people, food question...
» Food acidification question before canning

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Nutrition and Feeding-