It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups!   Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Welcome and your kids are adorable! Large breeds usually do well with special needs kids, but so can some smaller breeds. My nephew is autistic and my 2 greyhounds (now in heaven) loved him, they knew to be careful around him and not to bark (he hates loud noises). My current 1 year old lab loves him and so does my 4 month husky puppy! My sister has a miniature schnauzer and he also does well with my nephew. If trained correctly, and obviously they will both grow up with your kids, they will learn how to behave around them.

I would suggest socialize socialize socialize, I take my two around everything I can find, including the outside area of a nursing home so they could get used to wheelchairs and the like. A puppy kindergarten class would be so useful for you as well if you can find the time.

Bless you for you sound like such a great mom!!!! Good Luck.

Last edited by Balonsmom on Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelled word)
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups!   Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Welcome to the forum! I read most of what's already been written and agree. BUT if you do get two, I highly suggest enrolling them both in different puppy classes. That way they spend some time away from one another and get one on one training! Also take them both on individual car rides and trips alone, so they learn that it's okay to be alone and independent. If you do have the time and energy and are ready for husky ownership, then I think it can be done with a lot of hard work put into it during the first year. If you have time, try to find "Another Piece of the Puzzle: Puppy Development" by Pat hastings and Erin Ann Rouse and "The Siberian Husky Able Athlete, Able Friend" by Michael Jennings. The first has a lot of info about raising puppies and the second has a ton of info about the breed and is a very good read. Both are pretty cheap on Amazon or if you're lucky, your local library might have them.

Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups! - Page 2 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
HarlosHealthyPets
Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups!   Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 10:55 am

Just came across this article about adopting (or purchasing) two puppies at the same time: http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/13_1/features/Problems-Adopting-Two-Puppies-At-Once_16190-1.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups!   Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups! - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 16, 2012 11:30 am

Congrats on the new additions. Since you have already made your decision, this probably won't matter now, but it might be something to keep in mind for the future if you decide to go through a breeder again. As posters said earlier, 6 weeks is too young to let a puppy leave it's litter. A good, responsible breeder will know this and strictly enforce it. If the breeder is just breeding to make money and sell puppies (aka a BYB), they want to get them out of there as soon as they can, even if it's earlier than is good (or even legal in some states). A responsible breeder who cares about the betterment of the breed will care about the good of the puppies first and foremost.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups!   Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Soon to be proud parents of two husky pups!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2