It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 7:36 pm

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
Glad she is feeling better! Hopefully your vet will not continue to carry that product. We have had good luck with Frontline. Tried Advantix but it made Luka super itchy. What we do is buy the 44-88lb dose, and split it between the two dogs, since Luka is just 45lbs, and their combined weight is less than 88. I use to get 6 months of free frontline per year when I worked at a vets office, and this is what the techs and vets did if they had more than one dog. The three vets I worked with said it was safe, but for legal reasons could never suggest it to a client.
Are Kat and Luka about the same weight or close? I would look at splitting a dose between my 2 but there's a 20 lb difference between Ginger and Storm - would that matter?
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 7:47 pm

There is about a 10-12lb difference between the two. Their combined weight fluctuates between 75-80lbs. Since there is more of a weight difference between your two, I would just give Storm a bit more than Ginger. If their combined weight is over 88, you could go to the next dosage level, which is 88-132. As long as you have enough product to cover their combined weight, I wouldn't worry, I would just give Ginger less.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 7:51 pm

I've never used any form of flea or tick prevention. I'm allergic to the pesticides as is Koda so they're not an option, and I've never used a natural remedy either. Are they even really an issue in your area Claudia?
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:00 pm

So glad she's ok, Claudia! We've been giving the dogs Trifexis (flea plus heartworm meds) and they've been doing great. I'll never apply a topical again after it dripped onto our floor and ate through the finish/dark stain!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:10 pm

Claudia, what if you just used diatomaceous (sp?) earh a few times a month in their coats, just in case? Rather than using topicals. And when you vacuum us it as well? No chemicals, no problem.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:17 pm

I am so glad she is better!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Heather! wrote:
I've never used any form of flea or tick prevention. I'm allergic to the pesticides as is Koda so they're not an option, and I've never used a natural remedy either. Are they even really an issue in your area Claudia?
I don't think it's an issue at home, but it's when we go hiking, we usually end up in the trees for part of a hike. What I don't know is how much chance I would be taking to them ending up with a tick (not so much fleas) going hiking during the summer months if they are unprotected.

I think Jenn would be able to answer this question as she goes hiking almost every weekend during the summer, and I don't believe S&J are on any flea protection.

Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 9:32 pm

I just think it's not worth the risk. I personally know too many dogs who have died from pesticides, so... if Jenn is tick and flea free I think you'd be good haha.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 14, 2012 10:30 pm

Why yes heather I am flea and tick free Smile so is S&J.
Claudia, with our hiking most of the time we are just at tree line or above, so no danger of ticks. When we do go camping I just try to really look them over for any ticks, I have never found one, I think eddy has found like one. If I was back in PA I would for sure use somthing as a walk in the woods would result in like 5 ticks but in CO I have not had one on me.

Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 12:30 am

Just something to consider. If I was back in North Carolina or something I would use a natural remedy, but I've never really been worried here or in AZ. Honestly, I'd rather pick off a tick than put pesticides on my dog. The risks are too much for me.
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 3:08 am

That's so scary, but I'm glad that Ginger's feeling better. We sell Certifect where I work at and haven't had any complaints about it, but I've always been wary of it because Ava's had reactions to Frontline and I can't imagine what she would do with a "stronger" version of it. Ick.

Are you submitting a case with Merial about it?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 15, 2012 10:57 am

jbealer wrote:
Why yes heather I am flea and tick free Smile so is S&J.
Claudia, with our hiking most of the time we are just at tree line or above, so no danger of ticks. When we do go camping I just try to really look them over for any ticks, I have never found one, I think eddy has found like one. If I was back in PA I would for sure use somthing as a walk in the woods would result in like 5 ticks but in CO I have not had one on me.
So you're hiking majority of the time above tree line, and we're hiking majority of the time at/in/through trees. So I wonder how much of an increase in chance it would be for G&S to just go without? Definitely something to consider. However, I thought I read that back in 2009, there was a growing number of cases of Lyme disease in Colorado - I suppose that's what made me want to have G&S protected.

Heather! wrote:
Just something to consider. If I was back in North Carolina or something I would use a natural remedy, but I've never really been worried here or in AZ. Honestly, I'd rather pick off a tick than put pesticides on my dog. The risks are too much for me.
We've all discussed natural remedies for flea control on the forum, but does that also apply to ticks? I can't remember... I would assume so, but just want to confirm.

Myndi wrote:
Are you submitting a case with Merial about it?
My vet has reposrt a case to Merial and she is charging them the vet services that was given to Ginger and did not charge me.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention   flea - DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

DO NOT use Certifect for flea prevention

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2