It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

The things we do for love.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

The things we do for love.  Empty
PostSubject: The things we do for love.    The things we do for love.  EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 5:51 am

I've just spent an hour rolling beef mince into 1cm balls.

The things we do for love.  FREYABorn20-4-2012121

Freya seems to react to the treats I was giving her. I had her on Loveems 100% dried beef liver but she was getting the runs from them.
Idont know if it was the fact it's liver and too much can cause dhiarrea or they were too rich for her.
I decided to make my own little training treats and bake some beef balls. She thinks they're great, I feel so good about doing it too. Chock' full o' love.

Any one got any good recipes or tricks of the trade?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The things we do for love.    The things we do for love.  EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 8:04 am

I make these for my pup they are good for them and they love them.

Flax seeds are full of omega-3 fatty acids, which is part of the foundation for a healthy heart.
That's why we've developed these cheesy flax squares, with a whole cup of ground flax, to help you get the needed nutrition into your dog's diet.
Flax seeds do more than contribute to a healthy heart. Flax is full of fiber, so if your dog needs to drop a pound or two, you can add foods with fiber to help him feel full with less calories. They also aid the health and maintenance of your dogs skin and coat.
Cheesy Flax Squares
are Heart Healthy Dog Treats
Ingredients:
• 1 cup ground flax (see note)
• 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
• 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
• 1/2 cup water
Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 400° F
2. Whisk the flax, cheese, and garlic together in a medium bowl.
3. Stir the water into the flax mixture.
4. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly spray the parchment paper with non-stick cooking spray.
5. Pile the mixture into the middle of the prepared baking sheet.
6. Cover with another piece of parchment paper and roll out (see note below). It should be no more than 1/2" thick, 1/4" is best.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the center is no longer soft or spongy.
Storing - This heart healthy, like other recipes for dog treats will stay fresh in your refrigerator for about 2 weeks. Keep them in the freezer for 6 months.
Yield - Using a pizza cutter, you will get about 24 2 inch squares with a few irregular squares of various sizes to nibble.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: The things we do for love.    The things we do for love.  EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 8:43 am

THanks so much, they sound great!
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The things we do for love.    The things we do for love.  EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 9:49 am

I use this recipe and Tika loves it.

Pumpkin & Peanut Butter Dog Treats

•2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
•3 large eggs
•1/2 cup canned organic pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
•3 tablespoons organic peanut butter
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•water if needed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer. Sprinkle with water if needed to form ball. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into shapes. Bake until hard, about 30 minutes. Cool completely before serving.

~Kelly
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: The things we do for love.    The things we do for love.  EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 9:51 am

Kelly I was going to make some of those Monday but life got in the way..

Maybe I can today or tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: The things we do for love.    The things we do for love.  EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 10:18 am

They are so popular in our house. when I make a batch I have Tika sitting in the doorway staring the whole time. I have yet to make them with Ripley, maybe this weekend!

Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: The things we do for love.    The things we do for love.  EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 10:28 am

Is there anything I could substitute the peanut butter with? My son is allergic to nuts so we dont have anything with nuts in the house.
Also could I boil up some pumpkin and mash it? Would it work the same? We dont get canned pumpkin here in Australia.

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: The things we do for love.    The things we do for love.  EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 10:37 am

the peanut butter replacement I really dont know. we have a few products here in Canada that are peanut free-peanut butters, but I dont know how good they are for dogs (or how available they would be in Australia.

The pumpkin for sure you can use mashed pumpkin! My suggestion would be to make sure that it is mashed really well, since I use the "pie filling" version of pure pumpkin, its easy to spread into a batter. maybe a food processor to really get it nice and mushy?
Last Halloween when I carved our jackolanterns I kept feeding Tika chunks of the pumpkin directly from my carving. she loved it.

Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

PostSubject: Re: The things we do for love.    The things we do for love.  EmptyWed Jun 20, 2012 7:07 pm

yeah I'll puree the pumpkin.

We're not big on Halloween here in Australia, I have to confess I've never carved a Jackolantern let alone gone trick or treating.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The things we do for love.    The things we do for love.  Empty

Back to top Go down

The things we do for love.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1