It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS Empty
PostSubject: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 5:56 am

Is TOTW or Canidae better? Canidae also has grain free options and all life stage. I need to feed ALS because my 14 month old husky wants to eat the same food as my 2 month old malamute.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/
http://www.canidae.com.au/collection/view/38/39/34/35

Canidae is no longer manufactured by Diamond from what I heard. But TOTW is. I'm starting TOTW with the kids tonight and see how it goes. But I don't really want to risk another recall of the food as my malamute is really sensitive with food. Can't take any grain. Though they assured me that the TOTW supplied to Australia is from the CA plant not the SC plant, to be honest I'm a little skeptic about it.

Does anyone has some experience on these food?

Plz Note; Orijen, Acana and Wellness Core is not a choice as we don't get in in Australia.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 8:34 am

a lot of people on here still feed TOTW, I don't know about Canidae. I tried it with my greyhounds years ago and they wouldn't touch it.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 10:49 am

The Diamond recall was more over the risk of human contamination than anything. Salmonella really isn't going to hurt dogs, if it did no one would feed raw. We are still feeding it in our house, and we never had any issues. Have you thought about trying to get samples of Canidae to see how your dogs will do on it? That's one thing at least TOTW is good for, I emailed them and had 4 sample bags within a few days. Try different formulas too. The High Prairie formula gave our dog horrible gas but she's great on Pacific Stream.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 11:55 am

I'm gonna lean towards TOTW, I'm not a huge fan of Canidae. We stopped feeding TOTW because I'm a worry wart, but it is a great food. We really like the Blue Buffalo Wilderness Salmon and its rated 6/6 on dog food analysis and 5/5 on dog food advisor. Plus, it's easy for us to get. But, when we were feeding TOTW we fed Sierra mountain the most. The pups loved the lamb.

I have a hard time feeding fish if I don't where its coming from because a lot of fish in dog foods can have ethoxyquin in it and they aren't required to list it in the ingredients. Just do your research and feed what works for the pups.

If you can do Freeze Dried give it a try, I haven't met a dog yet who doesn't like some kind of Grandma Lucys!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Both are decent, between the two I would opt for TOTW since it's grain free while Canidae ALS is not.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 4:04 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Both are decent, between the two I would opt for TOTW since it's grain free while Canidae ALS is not.

Canidae PureSky, PureLand, PureElements, and PureSea are ALS. If you were going to go with Canidae I'd go with PureElements or PureSea, higher meat content, but that's just a personally preference.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 4:27 pm

hypers987 wrote:
Canidae PureSky, PureLand, PureElements, and PureSea are ALS. If you were going to go with Canidae I'd go with PureElements or PureSea, higher meat content, but that's just a personally preference.

Thanks for correcting me Brooke, I was not aware of those.

Puppy
Puppy
HarlosHealthyPets

Male Join date : 2012-05-01

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 6:05 pm

FYI, some Canidae is made in the Diamond plant as are other foods not owned by Diamond (that was the issue with the recall affecting so many brands...some not owned by Diamond...all made in the same plant).
Back to top Go down
http://www.harloshealthypets.com
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:49 pm

I made a comparison chart between TOTW and Canidae with their first 5 ingredients.

Canidae Pure Sky
32% Protein 16% Fat
Duck
Turkey Meal
Sweet Potatoes
Peas
Potatoe

Canidae Pure Land
25% Protein 15% Fat
Bison
Lamb Meal
Sweet Potatoes
Peas
Potatoes

Canidae Pure Sea
40% Protein 20% Fat CA:P=1.3:1
Salmon Meal
Potatoes
Potatoe
OceanFish Meal
Canola Oil
498 kcal/cup

Canidae Pure Elements
34% Protein 18% Fat CA:P=1.3:1
Chicken Meal
Turkey Meal
Lamb
Potatoes
Peas
498 kcal/cup

TOTW Wetlands
32% Protein 18% Fat CA:P=1.5:1
Duck
Duck Meal
Chicken Meal
Egg Product
Sweet Potatoes
375 kcal/cup

TOTW High Prairie
32% Protein 18% Protein CA:P=1.5:1
Bison
Lamb Meal
Chicken Meal
Egg Products
Sweet Potatoes
370 kcal/cup

TOTW Pacific Stream
25% Protein 15% Fat CA:P=1.7:1
Salmon
OceanFish Meal
Sweet Potatoes
Potatoes
Canola Oil
360 kcal/cup

TOTW Sierra Mountain

25% Protein 15% Fat CA:P=1.6:1
Lamb
Lamb Meal
Sweet Potatoes
Potatoes
Peas
338 kcal/cup

Apparently TOTW has more meat content than Canidae. I have to keep an eye on feeding Pacific Stream and Sierra Mountain as the CA:P ratio is too high for a 2 month old Malamute. For my 14 month old husky, that's fine I guess. Also, the pups seem to like TOTW more. Guess I'm sticking with it.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 pm

Can you get Blue Wilderness? The CA:P is less than TOTW
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 10:17 pm

Unfortunately we don't get Blue Wilderness, Acana, Orijen or Wellness Core in Australia. We used to get Orijen. But because of the irradiation treatment that is required on some dog food before entering Australia, the quality of Orijen changed, causing sickness in cats and they stopped supplying to Australia. TOTW did not go through the irradiation treatment.
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyThu Jun 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Raven is on TOTW High Prairie and is doing great, no gas lol! With this crazy heat she is eating a lot less though.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:02 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Can you get Blue Wilderness? The CA:P is less than TOTW

I'm assuming that the OP's 2 month old Malamute will be on whatever food is chosen and a higher Ca:P ratio is actually better for large breed puppies. Wink

Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:09 am

I read somewhere in this forum that the acceptable CA:P ratio for large breed puppies are 1.5:1. So I can do all four flavours of TOTW with the exception of feeding less Pacific Stream until he gets a little older or he might end up with bone disorder or something like that. Both parents were tested for hip dysplasia so I wouldn't be too concern with that.
First Malamute!! Gotta be careful with that. Razz
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 11:09 am

maggie eats totw. It is the only food she doesn't have a protest against. my parents feed canidae to their dogs. they love it a lot. I prefer to feed totw but sometimes I have given maggie canidae. You must be new, yay another malamute owner!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 3:51 pm

Titus&Lycan wrote:
I read somewhere in this forum that the acceptable CA:P ratio for large breed puppies are 1.5:1.

That is correct and I believe I was the first person on this forum to even divulge in the subject. Wink The point of my previous post, however, was the that you don't need to be aiming for lower Ca:P ratios in general. I wouldn't freak out if the levels were just a tad over is all.

Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyFri Jun 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Right I joined the forum a few days ago.
I'll stick with TOTW for the moment until I move to Malaysia in January'13. I checked!! They have Acana, Orijen, Wellness Core etc there
Back to top Go down
TooManyHuskies
...is a fool

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 11:46 am

Titus&Lycan wrote:
Is TOTW or Canidae better? Canidae also has grain free options and all life stage. I need to feed ALS because my 14 month old husky wants to eat the same food as my 2 month old malamute.

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/products/
http://www.canidae.com.au/collection/view/38/39/34/35

Canidae is no longer manufactured by Diamond from what I heard. But TOTW is. I'm starting TOTW with the kids tonight and see how it goes. But I don't really want to risk another recall of the food as my malamute is really sensitive with food. Can't take any grain. Though they assured me that the TOTW supplied to Australia is from the CA plant not the SC plant, to be honest I'm a little skeptic about it.

Does anyone has some experience on these food?

Plz Note; Orijen, Acana and Wellness Core is not a choice as we don't get in in Australia.

Your information on where Canidae is made is incorrect. Yes the company bought a plant in Texas but it will only produce a very small portion of the food. The GF foods will still be made by Diamond and the rest by a combination of Diamond, American Nutrition (junk) and the Canidae plant.

You would be better off trying Earthborn. TOTW is crap. Midwestern Pet Foods is a much better company and I know Pro Pac is very popular in Australia so Earthborn should be easy to get.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 4:25 pm

^ So close to being a civilized post until you just had to throw in "TOTW is crap." with nothing to back it up. You're getting better! Very Happy

TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
TooManyHuskies
...is a fool

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 6:29 pm

You can't trust anything made by Diamond. Nothing. The only reason why TOTW is popular is because it is a cheap grain free food. People believe grain foods are superior so people are naturally attracted to a "bargain".

I stand by what i said.

A better value GF food is either Victor or Hi-Tek, but a high protein, high fat food with whole grains is superior.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 6:43 pm

SaraB wrote:
^ So close to being a civilized post until you just had to throw in "TOTW is crap." with nothing to back it up. You're getting better! Very Happy
Quoted for truth.

TooManyHuskies... we would love your input more if you used more facts to back up your posts and expressed them in a mature and civilized manner. We are starting to crack down on immaturity here and I would hate to have your opinion and expertise get squashed in the process because you can't formulate a respectful and informative post.

TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS Hailey10
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 6:53 pm

TooManyHuskies wrote:
You can't trust anything made by Diamond. Nothing. The only reason why TOTW is popular is because it is a cheap grain free food. People believe grain foods are superior so people are naturally attracted to a "bargain".

I stand by what i said.

A better value GF food is either Victor or Hi-Tek, but a high protein, high fat food with whole grains is superior.

Oddly enough, you joined this forum and your first post was about a "bargain" food which based on ingredient analysis was "crap"

You are a hypocrite dear.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS EmptyMon Jul 02, 2012 12:45 am

I was feeding them Earthborn Primitive Natural and Coastal Catch previously. But they seem to like TOTW more. Anyway, when I compare both products, TOTW has a higher meat content than Earthoborn.

Also, I feed them grain free food because one of my furkids is grain sensitive. Regarding the price, Earthborn and TOTW are almost the same for big packs. But I only buy the medium packs even though the price is more expensive because I want to keep the food more fresh. I bought my dog food from this website www.naturalpetstore.com.au/ You can take a look at the price.

If we have Acana or Orijen in Australia, I will definitely go for those. What's more than to see my furkids eat better? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS   TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS Empty

Back to top Go down

TOTW ALS or Canidae ALS

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1