It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

I saved a life! Meet Bella.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

Female Join date : 2012-07-01

I saved a life! Meet Bella. Empty
PostSubject: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 6:42 am

Hello everyone! My name is Christian and I am the new owner of a Husky(mix)! I rescued her from my local animal shelter last week. She's one year old. I just fell in love with her eyes, One is like a light blue and the other one is half blue and half brown. She came home with kennel cough and was coughing up a storm and spitting stuff out the first few days. She wouldn't eat and was very lethargic. Luckily the shelter gave me medicine and she is getting better! I'll go out now and she'll run towards me putting her head against my knee so I pet her then she will shower me with kisses Smile. I'm in the process of teaching her how to sit. A few days ago she jumped on me with her muddy paws and got my white T-shirt dirty Mad . Any tips for a newbie?

Pictures of Bella.
I saved a life! Meet Bella. 2vl9noz
I saved a life! Meet Bella. 15yalcg
I saved a life! Meet Bella. Adpahc
I saved a life! Meet Bella. 2qdbloh
I saved a life! Meet Bella. 1goqv6
I saved a life! Meet Bella. Dolxes
I saved a life! Meet Bella. Wsjn6x

I was told she was a Husky mix. Is there anyway to tell what she is mixed with?
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 8:39 am

Congrats! She's beautiful! She looks mostly/mainly siberian husky to me. Maybe a little GSD.

I saved a life! Meet Bella. Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 8:41 am

She looks happy (Last pic) so it doesn't really matter what she is mixed with. Looks darn close to full Husky though.

Thanks for saving a life.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 8:42 am

She is beautiful thanks for rescuing.

Back to top Go down
lizzyduhh
Puppy
Puppy
lizzyduhh

Female Join date : 2012-04-10

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 10:08 am

very pretty dog. congrats on your new addition
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 11:25 am

Thanks for rescuing, she is beautiful. I've used this test on mine but I did it for fun because I'm a geek.

Http://www.canineheritage.com
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Welcome! Regardless of what she's mixed with (and I say she's mostly Husky), she's gorgeous! Glad she's doing better with the kennel cough, and thanks for rescuing!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

I saved a life! Meet Bella. 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 1:04 pm

She's definitely mostly husky! Sometimes they just say 'mix' because they don't have papers, but you can do a DNA test if you want to know for sure. Thank you for rescuing her. She looks a lot happier in that last pic compared to the first!

There's a thread on jumping in the training forum at the moment... What I would do is fold your arms and turn away without saying anything to her. She'll learn soon enough.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 3:47 pm

Congrats, she's gorgeous! Thank you for rescuing her! Smile

Our shelters here always say "mix" because they don't want people reselling dogs on craigslist (dog flipping). She looks pretty much full husky - maybe a tiny bit of GSD in there.
Back to top Go down
RangersMom
Newborn
Newborn
RangersMom

Female Join date : 2012-04-21

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 4:00 pm

I'd say definitely full husky as well. Thank you for rescuing her, she will have a great and happy life with you for sure. I love her 1 party eye and then the full blue eye, she is just such a cutie.

As Ghost said, for the jumping just turn your body away from her and no touching, talking or looking at her, she will learn fairly quickly that she does not get attention from this behavior and actually gets ignored so will stop doing it. I don't know a husky who likes been ignored.

If you know what motivates her, generally it is food and treats they will work wonders for training. The basic sit, down (lay), stay, come and hustle I would try getting her to learn first before the fun stuff.
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 4:15 pm

SaraB wrote:
Congrats! She's beautiful! She looks mostly/mainly siberian husky to me. Maybe a little GSD.

That's what I was thinking as well.

Here4thePics wrote:
She looks happy (Last pic) so it doesn't really matter what she is mixed with. Looks darn close to full Husky though.

Thanks for saving a life.

That was after a 5 mile walk so she better be happy! haha. I know it doesn't matter what she's mixed with. I'm not going to love her less because she isn't a full breed Husky. I'm just curios to know.

Ghost wrote:
She's definitely mostly husky! Sometimes they just say 'mix' because they don't have papers, but you can do a DNA test if you want to know for sure. Thank you for rescuing her. She looks a lot happier in that last pic compared to the first!

There's a thread on jumping in the training forum at the moment... What I would do is fold your arms and turn away without saying anything to her. She'll learn soon enough.

Do you know where I can get DNA test from? I'm from Los Angeles. I was actually looking at that thread last night after I posted mine. Very helpful stuff in there. I'm glad I found these forums! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 4:26 pm

thank you for saving a beautiful life!!

Lordbroll wrote:
Thanks for rescuing, she is beautiful. I've used this test on mine but I did it for fun because I'm a geek.

Http://www.canineheritage.com

I checked the link above and they are going to stop doing DNA tests for pets Sad

But I think you get DNA tests at these locations in Los Angeles:
http://www.wisdompanel.com/find_wisdom_near_you/?F_City=Los%20Angeles&F_State=CA
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 4:37 pm

If you are really wanting to do a breed analysis- i'd spend money on the blood test. The cheek swabs aren't reliable much of at all. Just remember that most mixed breeds aren't a mix of 2 purebred dogs. So even with a more accurate blood test... it's all just a big mathematical guess.

http://www.wisdompanel.com/professional/

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 4:43 pm

arooroomom wrote:
If you are really wanting to do a breed analysis- i'd spend money on the blood test. The cheek swabs aren't reliable much of at all. Just remember that most mixed breeds aren't a mix of 2 purebred dogs. So even with a more accurate blood test... it's all just a big mathematical guess.

http://www.wisdompanel.com/professional/

Is there a place I can go to that does it for you? I hate needles and I wouldn't feel comfortable sticking one in my dog haha. And wow. I've never seen a brown and black Husky. He/She looks absolutely beautiful.

Last edited by Juturna67 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 4:47 pm

You can only do that at a vets office. There is a finder tool that lets you search for local vets who provide that test.

http://www.wisdompanel.com/find_wisdom_near_you/

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 5:02 pm

Christian - I just looked up Los Angeles on the link Kristina posted, what are you in? Do you have a vet you're happy with?
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 5:08 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Christian - I just looked up Los Angeles on the link Kristina posted, what are you in? Do you have a vet you're happy with?

I'm actually in Whittier, CA(LA County), I currently do not have a vet. I adopted her from SEAACA in Downey and I can use their services for 2 months free of charge.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 5:09 pm

She's gorgeous! Looks mostly Siberian to me Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Juturna67 wrote:
hollywoodhuskies wrote:

I'm actually in Whittier, CA(LA County), I currently do not have a vet. I adopted her from SEAACA in Downey and I can use their services for 2 months free of charge.

Congrats! SEACA has great services, I bet they even gave you some food to take home? They're so much better than the county or city shelters!

We live near Hollywood so not familiar with vets in your area but I cross-referenced the Wisdom Panel vets with the reviews on yelp and this is your best bet:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/washington-blvd-animal-hospital-whittier#query:whittier%20vet

We're definitely thinking of having it done next vet visit, too - for our Chili, possible part Mal. Or possibly just large grumpy husky. Smile
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 5:26 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Juturna67 wrote:
hollywoodhuskies wrote:

Congrats! SEACA has great services, I bet they even gave you some food to take home? They're so much better than the county or city shelters!

We live near Hollywood so not familiar with vets in your area but I cross-referenced the Wisdom Panel vets with the reviews on yelp and this is your best bet:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/washington-blvd-animal-hospital-whittier#query:whittier%20vet

We're definitely thinking of having it done next vet visit, too - for our Chili, possible part Mal. Or possibly just large grumpy husky. Smile

Yes they did! They gave me a bag of Science Diet(or something like that). They really are great. I went back on Wednesday because she wasn't eating and the vet gave her 1 vitamin shot and 2 penicillin shots along with more pills all for free.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 5:52 pm

That's great that they do that - I wish all shelters did! Smile

When you get about halfway through that bag, we can help you research alternate foods - I don't want to overwhelm you yet! This forum is a great resource for huskies! Smile I'm sure SEAACA receives foods from the manufacturer and most of us aren't fans of Science Diet and researched sites like dogfoodadvisor.com to find a food. Some huskies have sensitive tummies so some of us are very careful with what we feed. Chili gets the runs from anything with wheat in it (TMI?). Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Juturna67
Puppy
Puppy
Juturna67

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 6:05 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:

When you get about halfway through that bag, we can help you research alternate foods - I don't want to overwhelm you yet! This forum is a great resource for huskies! Smile I'm sure SEAACA receives foods from the manufacturer and most of us aren't fans of Science Diet and researched sites like dogfoodadvisor.com to find a food. Some huskies have sensitive tummies so some of us are very careful with what we feed. Chili gets the runs from anything with wheat in it (TMI?). Very Happy

The bag is finished, The people in our back house have a dog as well and we let them use some of ours. I actually purchased Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken flavor and she loves it so far.

edit: I just called the vet someone listed and they said the DNA cost $230 dollars! silent
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 6:44 pm

Juturna67 wrote:
hollywoodhuskies wrote:

The bag is finished, The people in our back house have a dog as well and we let them use some of ours. I actually purchased Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken flavor and she loves it so far.

edit: I just called the vet someone listed and they said the DNA cost $230 dollars! silent

Oh good! That's one of the better foods available at Petco/Petsmart! Smile If her poop gets a little soft as you transition, you can add a tablespoon or two of canned pureed pumpkin (non-spiced) to her food.

Yup - the test is pretty expensive and why we haven't done it yet. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 7:01 pm

hollywoodhuskies wrote:
Juturna67 wrote:
hollywoodhuskies wrote:

Oh good! That's one of the better foods available at Petco/Petsmart! Smile If her poop gets a little soft as you transition, you can add a tablespoon or two of canned pured pumpkin (non-spiced) to her food

Yup - the test is pretty expensive and why we haven't done it yet. Smile

The link I posted was a cheek swab for less than $100, I didn't realize they were no longer offering the test Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
ashleylou
Teenager
Teenager
ashleylou

Female Join date : 2012-07-03

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Shes really pretty! Love those eyes. She looks mainly husky to me maybe a little German shepard or possibly malmute? Not for sure though. Also congratulations and thanks for saving that beautiful face Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I saved a life! Meet Bella.   I saved a life! Meet Bella. Empty

Back to top Go down

I saved a life! Meet Bella.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1