It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Sister females fighting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bijiont
Newborn
Newborn
Bijiont

Sister females fighting Empty
PostSubject: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:28 pm

Hello everyone,

I joined this site a while back when we first picked up our sister huskies as this site is a great resource and community.

With that said I have an interesting issue. First I know that generally breeders should advise of common dual alpha issues and at times refuse to sell two from the same litter.

Recently our two 10 month old girls have been fighting. Now it is not constant and they generally play just fine. It seems that the fighting happens over toys and other play objects (sticks).

Is this just them being possessive or a form of both trying to be the alpha?

We love our pets and the last thing we want is for them or us to be hurt. We really don't want to give one up so any training or correction suggestions are very welcomed. We also have a check up with our vet to get suggestions.
Back to top Go down
kevo
Adult
Adult
kevo

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 1:21 am

Not an expert- but could be play mixed with alpha, but I put my thoughts on alpha. If there was video of it, it would be easier to say. Could just be playing though also. I hope to hear more input. I don't worry to much about whey my girls have their issues, normally its all noise and fizzles to nothing in seconds though.

good luck and welcome the forum
Back to top Go down
Bijiont
Newborn
Newborn
Bijiont

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:32 am

Thank you Kevo,

I did my research prior about the difference between play and fighting. They are clearly fighting, going for the front of the neck, getting very aggressive, nose curled up showing teeth.

It just is very strange as just yesterday they went at it over a stick. They were caged for the night then today it was as if nothing happened.
Back to top Go down
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 11:40 am

Are they both fixed? If not, That could have something to do with it.
Back to top Go down
Bijiont
Newborn
Newborn
Bijiont

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Yes, they are both fixed.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 3:19 pm

From the sounds of it it's just being possessive. You said it's over objects, and not just in general fighting.

Some times spats will happen, and they will figure it out - I honestly wouldn't worry about it until there is blood drawn. It's usually WAY worse sounding to the humans than it is to the dogs. Also, at 10 months they probably haven't figured out who "top dog" is yet anyway - let them work it out and everything will be fine. If you always interfere than they will keep at it - if you let them figure it out with some nasty - albeit harmless - teeth baring and mean sounds, then it will resolve itself.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm still not convinced it's not play, but that being said, while playing... my two will definitely have a spat with curled teeth/snarling. Someone bites too hard, the other gets annoyed and they have words over it... then they are fine.

However, if you noticed that it's always over something in particular (toys, food, etc), I would start by trying to decide or see if it's one of them causing an issue over the other. Who initiates it? Who is guarding? That will help you decide how and who to concentrate the training on.

Sister females fighting Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 3:24 pm

As usual, Riley and I are pretty much on the same page Wink

Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 5:23 pm

Bijiont wrote:

I did my research prior about the difference between play and fighting. They are clearly fighting, going for the front of the neck, getting very aggressive, nose curled up showing teeth.

It just is very strange as just yesterday they went at it over a stick. They were caged for the night then today it was as if nothing happened.

Riley & Tori expressed by thoughts. Really I can't think of another breed that plays/fights with such expressions of "I'll rip your throat out," like a Husky does. Here Adobo & Biko go at it sometimes like I think they really are going to rip the other. Then it stops as fast as it started.
I've noticed 2 trigger toys here that will start them but seriously think they just use those items to get the other one PO'ed and in the fighting mood. A few times I've yelled out the HEY HEY HEY, because even I wasn't so sure. They stop then I swear they kiss and make up, I'd love to catch it on video but it starts and stops so fast.
Back to top Go down
Bijiont
Newborn
Newborn
Bijiont

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:21 pm

I agree they play rough however they do in fact draw blood when this occurs.

It appears to always be over objects either one will guard or attempt to steal said toy.

Neither appears to "start" more than the other which is why the dual alpha didn't make sense.

Their behavior also doesn't go away instantly. It generally takes an entire day before they return to their normal selves.
I wondered if maybe the recent heat had any play into this as being over 100 outside aggravates even humans at times.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:24 pm

What everyone else said. Blaze and Kerian go at it several times a day it appears to be play but.. Sometimes We tell them to quit cause it looks like more than play. LIke Len said they go at it then it ends as quick as it starts..
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Bijiont wrote:

I wondered if maybe the recent heat had any play into this as being over 100 outside aggravates even humans at times.

I would think heat could definitely be a factor. Especially if they are not getting the normal amount of exercise. Its been in the 100 here for the past week and I haven't taken Raven on any walks. Lucky for us the heat wave seems to be over, hope you get some relief soon as well.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Drawing blood you say? How often has blood been drawn? How often do the fights break out? It sounds like resource guarding and not playing to me. Depending on how often and over what objects this occurs, I would start eliminating this behavior just like any other unwanted behavior. Controlled environment. Praise for good behavior and some form of punishment for bad - whatever that entails for your training methods.
Back to top Go down
Bijiont
Newborn
Newborn
Bijiont

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:08 pm

rileyflorence wrote:
Drawing blood you say? How often has blood been drawn? How often do the fights break out? It sounds like resource guarding and not playing to me. Depending on how often and over what objeOcts this occurs, I would start eliminating this behavior just like any other unwanted behavior. Controlled environment. Praise for good behavior and some form of punishment for bad - whatever that entails for your training methods.

Maybe once or twice a month as for blood this is only the second time. We started to remove those toys which seem to cause the conflicts.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 pm

You don't have a very bad case on your hands at all. Should be an easy fix. 1-2 spats a month isn't bad at all. I would expect a spat or two a month with young dogs living together. Drawing blood is when there's a problem.

Personally I wouldn't remove the toy, but I'd remove the dog. Bad behavior doesn't make the toy you want go away - but makes you go away from the toy you want.

Just remember that you will train out a behavior a lot faster if you praise the proper behavior instead of only punishing the bad behavior. It's not enough to say "don't do that!" you have to tell them "Do this! It's good! Good job!" - sadly that's the hardest part. We just expect the good behavior so when it happens we let it go by unnoticed.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:31 pm

Great advice from Riley. Without a single perpetrator, a lot of the sharing trainings I know won't apply. However, I would try to do a controlled praise. Bring over two valuable toys when they are next to each other. Place them down. Praise them after a few seconds and then give them a highly valued treat (like a hot dog piece or something). Try and increase the time you wait before you treat them each time. If they exhibit guarding, correct them and try again but wait less time in between (so you avoid the growl/guard). I hope this makes sense... it's been a long weekend and my brain is a bit fuzzy!

Back to top Go down
Bijiont
Newborn
Newborn
Bijiont

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Thank you very much for all the great advice. I feel less worried than before as everyone I talked to said I may have to give one up. I will still ask my vets advice as well for their regular check up however will weight the advice here much greater as well we are all husky owners.

Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:28 am

Heavens no! That is absolutely no reason to give one up. At all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sister females fighting   Sister females fighting Empty

Back to top Go down

Sister females fighting

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Advice and Discussion Forums :: Miscellaneous Questions-