It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Your pet peeves of other dog owners?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
lepp1892
Teenager
Teenager
lepp1892

Male Join date : 2014-02-18

Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 4:08 pm

The not picking up dog poop thing really angers me too! Living in an apartment where there are lots of dogs makes this a big pain. Our apartment even stocks poop bags and a garbage in places but they do run out on occasion so people must think it is ok for them to leave the poop because the apartment won't supply them at all times. It's your dog, It's your responsibility to pick up after them.
Back to top Go down
TheBadGuppy
Teenager
Teenager
TheBadGuppy

Female Join date : 2013-06-20

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 4:10 pm

Same with us. There is this one guy that lives in my building but still doesn't pick up after his dog. The poo bags are FREE!!! Just take one as you walk past! I wish i was a more confrontational person.
Back to top Go down
siku&nikolai
Senior
Senior
siku&nikolai

Female Join date : 2013-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 4:49 pm

I hate people that don't pick up there dogs poop. It drives me insane. However, I am one of those people at our house (I pick it up everywhere else). We live in a very small apartment building with these people who NEVER smoke outside even though they are constantly told to. Seriously, its like 6 people smoking 4 packs a day, its disgusting during the winter. But they really like to use the yard in the summer, so I told them when they stopped smoking in the winter indoors, then I would start picking up the poop every time so they could use the yard. They haven't done it, so I enjoy torturing them by leaving it. That might make me a terrible and gross person, but they really deserve it! And I do pick it up I just to let it build up for a little bit.

Erica, there is a dog park in Maine that just got shut down because people stopped picking up their dogs poop. I couldn't believe it, I had never heard of something like that but I guess its common. We are really lucky that almost everyone is responsible at our park and its always clean.
Back to top Go down
AMB
Senior
Senior
AMB

Male Join date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 18, 2014 8:46 pm

I don't really like how a lot of dog owners (or just people in general) seem to be overemotional and melodramatic about everything, especially when it comes to their pets. I also just keep quite around the average "dog person" most of the time, we generally have some very different (and strong) views about how the world should work and I'm not a fan of engaging people in rage battles. Outside of that they can be pretty cool though... :/

Oh almost forgot, I don't like it when people tell me how to raise my dog either unless I'm specifically coming to them for advice. It irks me when people think they know more about my dog than I do.
Back to top Go down
Lori-M
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 3:45 am

I just really do not like to see a dog not being properly cared for. (left outside in bad weather, not exercised, not acknowledged, fed regularly or lack of veterinary care) In the past I was the person who would be upset over these things but not speak out. Now, after having my dogs I am more likely to say something or make a call to report something than I previously was.

My second thing that bugs me to death is when we are out and I have my little girl with me in a pet friendly place. She adores animals and we smile and compliment or comment on the animal and the owner acts as though their dog is superior to my CHILD. Ummm no I don't think so! I love my dogs probably to a fault but I also realize that they are animals. Some only have pets and it is fine to love them like children but not to act as though they are superior to my children. Rant over lol. I will add that we would never walk up to pet or engage with a dog without the owners verbal permission because that is another of my pet peeves. I own a 1.75 lb Yorkie and a 4.5 lb Yorkie and it makes me upset when children are not supervised and come up to "pet" or grab my little ones. They are welcome to touch them but not pull them from my carrier or cart because they are just so little. They are easily dropped/hurt!
Back to top Go down
mishkaanfwolfgirl
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2014-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 2:03 pm

People (with there dogs) walk towards mishka when I'm trying to get her to walk away (she plays too rough and my town has mostly dogs which could result in injury) I've asked people to go the other way or go across the street so I can continue on with walking (and please note im a new husky owner I her from the pound and I've been working on her issues) and the people who think they have great control over there dog so the walk them without a leash and people who don't pick up after their dogs like seriously clean it up my dog wants to eat it if your dog poops and you don't have a bag go knock on the homeowners door and ask for one or do what I've had to do before and ask another owner who walked by for one (nicely) and received one and people who take their un fixed dogs to the dog park (mishka is fixed but I've seen it happen) also people who walk there dog on a very long lead u can understand if your going to a field or a park like I,do to do training but you dont have to walk your dog on a 15-20' leash there , your dog could chase a cat or run into the road and get hit you have no controll whatso ever of your dog also peoples dogs who get out and me being a kindheart towards animals i pick up and find no id tag so i have to take your pet to the pound and put you at risk of never seeimg your dog again
Back to top Go down
Rain City Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Rain City Husky

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 7:09 pm

So many! We live in an area with a ton of dogs! My biggest one is people who walk their dogs off leash or have them loose near their home. Second, we haven't got Link fixed, mostly because he hasn't had any behavior problems and is never loose. However, being lectured that I am being irresponsible or a poor dog owner. Especially since it isn't that I am against it but just have a dog that is well behaved the way he is and would responsibly do something if that changed. Other than that just poor manners is frustrating.
Back to top Go down
mishkaanfwolfgirl
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2014-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 9:00 pm

Btw I did not mean to offend people if I did about the fixing part
Back to top Go down
Rain City Husky
Newborn
Newborn
Rain City Husky

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 9:33 pm

No. Sorry if it sounded like I was ranting. It is something that I have had people lecture me about in the middle of the sidewalk. I don't think that there is always a right and wrong answer.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 1:11 am

Ignorance...I can't stand dog owners that are completely unaware of the other end of their leash. When you are out in public you need to be aware of your dog at all times...oh yes and pick up after your pet! Probably peeve 2 on the list.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 1:58 am

Ignorance/Stereotyping is my biggest peeve, right alongside irresponsibility.
I have come across an owner who refused to let her mini dog off leash at agility because  dogs like that (Que pointing at me and Orion) would attack it, I constantly have people leave the dog park before entering upon seeing me, people cross the street so they don't have to pass us, one lady I work with wouldn't come round for a cup of tea with her daughter because my dog is related to a wolf and you just never know what might happen - and that's all happened so far this week! So I'm relatively young, I have bright purple hair currently, visible tattoo's (if you look hard enough) and I have a large dog of not particularly common breed. Whoopity do da none of those things automatically make me a useless dog owner nor do they make Orion dangerous. Yet that is what people see - it drives me nuts.
It really gets me though when I come up against irresponsible owners - the ones with dogs choking themselves at the end of a leash lunging at my dog because "they're just so friendly!" nope they're exhibiting bad doggy manners and chances are they're terribly under socialized which means they're going to react badly to my dog and yet he will be blamed if shit goes down. The ones that allow there dogs to launch themselves at people, growl at children with food, or the ones with dogs so under exercised that they escape and roam the streets "but it's ok because wee fluffy is friendly"  Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 1625187496
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

Female Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 9:47 am

GeorginaMay wrote:
one lady I work with wouldn't come round for a cup of tea with her daughter because my dog is related to a wolf and you just never know what might happen

Wait, so other dogs aren't related (albeit distantly) to wolves? Does she not realize Canis familiaris is one species, the most diverse species of animal in the world? Not to knock on your coworker but the level of education of some people just absolutely baffles me ...
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 12:03 pm

When other. people. touch. your dog. Especially when they don't own a dog your dog is playing with. I.e. when Link and a husky puppy were playing at a dog park, as I was talking to the owners of the husky puppy and we were both comfortable with their level of roughness and Link was actually being quite gentle knowing it was a puppy, and some random guy comes and pulls Link off the puppy, shaking him and yelling at him, claiming he was aggressive, causing me to go into a right fit. Don't touch other peoples dogs, unless its actually being aggressive and the owners aren't doing anything about it, period.
Back to top Go down
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 1:14 pm

Yikes. I just thought of another one: Strangers giving your dog a treat without asking permission. How are they to know whether your dog has a food allergy, and how are you to know whether the treats came from a "safe" place and not somewhere like China? And, how are you to know that this person doesn't have ill intentions isn't going around giving dogs poisoned treats? It's very unlikely but I've heard of it happening.
Back to top Go down
GeorginaMay
Teenager
Teenager
GeorginaMay

Female Join date : 2013-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 7:42 pm

capellalayla wrote:
Wait, so other dogs aren't related (albeit distantly) to wolves? Does she not realize Canis familiaris is one species, the most diverse species of animal in the world?

Lol no is the short answer there. Her little miniature poodle is certainly no beast like Orion Razz

The other people touching your dog gets to me too, there was a new girl in one of our classes a while ago and I had Orion tethered since I was helping get equipment out when I heard this girl squeal. I immediately went for Orion thinking maybe she had gotten a fright but no, before I could get there she crouched down grabbed Orion by the ruff round his neck and with a stupid baby voice said "Oh my god you're just so fluffy!" then buried her face in his fur.
I was gobsmacked. Luckily Orion just stood there wagging his tail but seriously who does that?!

Megan I hope you gave that guy the proverbial what for after grabbing Link! That is disgusting, if anyone manhandled my dog like that I would loose it.
Back to top Go down
amymeme
Senior
Senior
amymeme

Female Join date : 2013-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 10:13 pm

GeorginaMay wrote:

"Oh my god you're just so fluffy!" then buried her face in his fur.
I was gobsmacked. Luckily Orion just stood there wagging his tail but seriously who does that?!

Barbie.

from Bimbo of the Month Club.
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 11:44 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
When other. people. touch. your dog.

Ding ding ding.

It just astonishes me how some parents will let their children run up to dogs and grab them.

Once during a walk at a fairly busy park, some kids just ran by and brushed Lycus through out his side as they ran past him. Mother didn't even care. Luckily, Lycus didn't care either, especially since he's used to kids. If it were another dog, the results could have been different.
Back to top Go down
Sheba&Kennedy
Senior
Senior
Sheba&Kennedy

Female Join date : 2012-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 4:51 am

capellalayla wrote:
Yikes. I just thought of another one: Strangers giving your dog a treat without asking permission. How are they to know whether your dog has a food allergy, and how are you to know whether the treats came from a "safe" place and not somewhere like China? And, how are you to know that this person doesn't have ill intentions isn't going around giving dogs poisoned treats? It's very unlikely but I've heard of it happening.

OH MY GOSH!! There is literally this guy that drives around town and hands out dog biscuits to people walking their dogs. I equate it to a guy carrying around candy and handing it out to little kids. And of course, it's off brand milk bones he gives out. I take my dogs to my sister's city rec coach pitch and soccer games, and he will just walk up to my dogs without even saying anything to me and give them treats. One day I FLIPPED out and told him to STOP giving my dogs treats because they are allergic and can only eat specific treats (not true, but damn!). This is the same guy that I'm not kidding you, made out with Kennedy. He was licking her while she was licking his mouth...it was horribly disgusting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/groups/379867695570/
capellalayla
Senior
Senior
capellalayla

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 8:50 am

Sheba&Kennedy wrote:

capellalayla wrote:

OH MY GOSH!! There is literally this guy that drives around town and hands out dog biscuits to people walking their dogs. I equate it to a guy carrying around candy and handing it out to little kids. And of course, it's off brand milk bones he gives out. I take my dogs to my sister's city rec coach pitch and soccer games, and he will just walk up to my dogs without even saying anything to me and give them treats. One day I FLIPPED out and told him to STOP giving my dogs treats because they are allergic and can only eat specific treats (not true, but damn!). This is the same guy that I'm not kidding you, made out with Kennedy. He was licking her while she was licking his mouth...it was horribly disgusting.

affraid 
Back to top Go down
barbianj
Puppy
Puppy
barbianj

Male Join date : 2013-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 12:39 am

So I meet crazy pit bull girl last night. She tells me that her dog has "stranger danger" issues and was really sick with 3 weeks of bed rest, whatever that means. He's a year old and not neutered. I tell her that Siku is recently neutered and tends to jump. She asks if it's OK for Siku and stranger danger dog to meet. I say I don't think so, and she approaches anyway. Really? I hold Siku's leash real tight, and as soon as her dog gets close it goes nuts. Siku goes up on his hind legs and wants to jump on him. Of course her dog never acts like this. Ugh. She asks to meet Siku if she ties her dog up. I say sure, thinking she is actually going to tie him up. She wraps the leash around a pole a few times and walks over. Of course Siku is all lovey dovey. I'm not about to take my eyes off of her dog. If he gets loose, there's a curb stomping coming his way. She asks if it's OK for Siku to have a treat, they're all natural, and gives it to him. REALLY, he ate it already. She goes on to tell me about the migratory habits of dogs and wants to know if we walk this time every night so our dogs can meet again. What? I tell her I don't think it's a good idea and we have to go. She agrees, and as we are walking away, she wants to walk with us, then wants our dogs to meet again anyway. Again her dog goes nuts. We head the other direction, and as we are walking away, she says to let her know if we need a good dog walker.  How many peeves did she cover, lol? I'm just glad nobody got hurt. Sheesh.
Back to top Go down
Kye
Newborn
Newborn
Kye

Male Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 9:14 am

HA! PET peeves, get it? I agree with all of the above and would also like to add: When people know that I'm trying to train my dog not to jump on people and they are encouraging him to and playing with him when he does, even saying "Kye, you're not supposed to jump on people" in a baby-voice while they pet him.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 2:11 pm

It just makes me so mad when people look directly at your dog and where it's capable of going then completely ignores it and enters its range of contact.

This goes along with my other pet peeve, but for Easter we had a family reunion at the park. We reserved a big shelter house at the end of a dead end road at the park and I took Kenzi, of course. There wasn't really any reason for anyone to be down where we were other than to be nosey and this one lady kept walking her dog right through the middle of our reunion to get to the river even though there were a million other water access points. I had Kenzi staked out on a 50' line and the lady walked that dog right down the middle of her radius. I held Kenzi the first time, being forgiving since the gal probably couldn't tell how long her line was, but her dog was leash reactive and she would stop every time the dog would freak out and give the dog a kick in the butt to calm it down. Once she got past I let Kenzi go to the end of her rope. The gal looked right at her, knew perfectly well how long her range was, but as soon as she started back she walked right down the middle of her radius again. Kenzi almost had Australian Shepherd for lunch that day and to make matters worse, even after her narrow miss with a dog fight the lady still takes the time to stand there kicking her dog to get it to calm down inside Kenzi's range before moving on.

PostSubject: Re: Your pet peeves of other dog owners?   Your pet peeves of other dog owners? - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Your pet peeves of other dog owners?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next