It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Collar thinning hair?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

Collar thinning hair? Empty
PostSubject: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 3:53 am

Obviously Delilah wears a collar. Honestly, im worried that its thinning her hair in that area. Have any of you ever experienced this?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 5:18 am

What kind of collar are you using? I've never had this issue but I've seen this discussed on other husky forums in the past and *I think* rolled leather collars have been suggested to help with that. I'm sure you'll get more/better advice from others, but you are definitely not alone.

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 5:52 am

If its a nylon collar give it a sniff test, then if you wrinkle you nose at the smell toss it in the washing machine for a good cleaning. All the stuff that stinks might be carrying lord knows what that could be irritating the neck.collar area skin.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 8:57 am

Len has good advice. We bought these so that we could keep their tags on at all times (especially with Koda getting loose). It doesn't thin their hair or irritate their skin because it's so thin:
Collar thinning hair? 41wbevTwDZL._SL500_AA300_
http://www.amazon.com/Thin-Mountain-Rope-Dog-Collar/dp/B003Y0D7MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342094197&sr=8-1&keywords=thin+dog+collar

Collar thinning hair? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 11:24 am

Some collars can mat the fur around the neck, or even cause breakage and rip it out. I have rolled leather collars for my two after I noticed Indy had a ring of brittle fur around his neck. They work great! Even the collar Tori suggested would work. Anything that's thing enough and rolled will keep from matting or ripping out and breaking their fur. It's a better alternative to leaving collars off and having them escape without their tags.
Back to top Go down
nash
Puppy
Puppy
nash

Male Join date : 2012-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Our old Keeshond also had a problem with normal (flat) collars. We bought him a round leather collar, and never had a problem after that. Right now were using a normal flat collar on Dalton, but I think once all of his puppy fur goes away we'll have to get a round one for him as well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.toocutetokill.blogspot.com
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 2:02 am

Tori, I'm gonna order those right now. I like them to have their collars on at all time, but I don't want it irritating them.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 9:30 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Tori, I'm gonna order those right now. I like them to have their collars on at all time, but I don't want it irritating them.

Thanks!
Make sure you measure their necks. Koda is a Large, but Hailey is a Medium. Smile

Collar thinning hair? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 9:55 am

I was told these are very soft and won't break hair.

http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/

Collar thinning hair? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyFri Jul 13, 2012 3:06 pm

We have always liked the rolled leather. It kind of hides down in all the husky fur and makes their general appearance look better...in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
pandactivity
Teenager
Teenager
pandactivity

Female Join date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 5:48 am

Ahh I noticed trillions neck fluff all brittle and rough, and way shorter than the rest of her fur around her neck.

Sad it looks awful, like when you wear tight pants for too long and you have that indent on your waist lol, we will have to get her a rolled collar I suppose :p
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 10:59 pm

Like SaraB suggested WhitePine. That's pretty much all I use any more. They don't break or damage the hair and don't discolor the hair either. I leave Denali's on all the time and you can't even tell he ever wears a collar when we take it off of him for show grooming-
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
MicroBrewer
Teenager
Teenager
MicroBrewer

Male Join date : 2011-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 11:31 pm

I am happy with Ruff Wear's Knot-a-Rope:

http://www.backcountryk9.com/369/0/Products.aspx
Back to top Go down
ArkansMom
Newborn
Newborn
ArkansMom

Female Join date : 2011-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:21 am

Lots of longer haired dogs seem to have this problem with collars....rolled works well for most. Arkan has a flat leather one, but I take it off at night and we havent had a problem yet.
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

Female Join date : 2012-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 2:03 am

Interesting, so thats why the rolled up collars actually exist? I always thought it was just for fashion. I'm having the beginning of this problem as well, I use a beautiful croc pleather crystal flat collar on my girl, but if its giving her this problem, then I might have to toss it Sad and get a rolly.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 6:10 am

SaraB wrote:
I was told these are very soft and won't break hair.

http://www.whitepineoutfitters.com/

Sara, I actually bought these after a breeder-friend suggested it. they are amazing!
Back to top Go down
newhusky_lover
Newborn
Newborn
newhusky_lover

Female Join date : 2012-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 2:31 am

i so far havent had any issues with my collar on my husky, but i am getting one of those invisible fences for her and i'm worried about her hair being so thick she won't feel the collar give her a warning about the boundary being crossed. is it okay to trim around her neck where the collar is? or what could i do to ensure she would feel the shock?
thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 2:52 am

It is not wise to trim a Huskies fur, ever. Invisible fences are notorious for not working with huskies. I'd recomend not even bothering, but it's always going to be a very heated topic. IMO, either fence in your yard, or keep her on a secure tie out.

http://www.siberescue.com/Common/InvisibleFence/invisiblefence.html
Back to top Go down
newhusky_lover
Newborn
Newborn
newhusky_lover

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 9:41 am

thanks! yea, i have a small fence for her, just not quite big enough for her to really play, it was built for a place for the dogs to do their business primarily... do you have any advice on good, secure tie outs? i have the kind that you screw into the ground, and i even take a malet to bang it in even more. but within a day or two she has it out. i think when she runs around in circles it gets loose.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 10:40 am

Rachel- They make longer and pointier prongs for shock collars that you can get. My mom has to use those on her samoyed mix, cause he'll jump her fence and she has an invisible fence along her real fence. It should help get contact with the skin, but I have heard many stories about invisible fences not stopping a siberian.

Oh and about the white pine collars, found out one of the collars I stole from my mom (she gets TONS of collars and leashes with all her rescues. lol. I like to pick and chose and of course I ask first. Smile ) is a white pine collar. I love it. So soft and it's a semi slip.

Collar thinning hair? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
SLB
Puppy
Puppy
SLB

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 11:59 am

I have a half check on my Long haired boy, I am soon getting him a half check rolled collar though - if the lady who made my pups collar can do it for me.

My dogs never wear collars in the house because there is risk of them playing and getting jaws caught in the other ones collar. I heard of a Dane owner who's dogs were playing - ones jaw got caught in the other, jaw was broken and now that dog is scared of the other one because she thinks he attacked her.. Sad
Back to top Go down
jalepeno
Senior
Senior
jalepeno

Male Join date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2013 3:05 pm

A limited slip collar won't break the hair.
My dog has a collar on all the time, except when he is being bathed.
Back to top Go down
newhusky_lover
Newborn
Newborn
newhusky_lover

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks Sara! yea, i think i'm just going to give up on the invisible fence. i'm not going to take the chance of her getting out of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Collar thinning hair?   Collar thinning hair? Empty

Back to top Go down

Collar thinning hair?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1