It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 3:00 pm

glad to hear!!!! Very Happy I dont think they learn as puppies until they are a little older. hahaha shadow keeps goin for it knowing he'll get bopped! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Female Join date : 2012-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 3:40 pm

MGoBlue wrote:
I'm glad she's feeling better! I love looking at your posts. I just can't get over how adorable Snow is.

Aww thanks Smile

She's won't sit so I'm assuming she's still sore and she isn't playing as much and prefers to lay on her bed but she's walking around more and attempting to play so I'm not too worried today. Still keeping an eye on her.
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:38 pm

So. Snow has regressed again. I don't understand how shots can make her seem THIS uncomfortable. I called the vet and she can be seen tomorrow or Saturday. Until then give her half a baby aspirin :/ I hate this. She was in her crate and wouldn't come out. When she finally did she went to the door to ring her bells and go out. When we went out she pooped and was groaning and her legs were shaking Sad
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Oh my, I am concerned. It really could be vaccines. I can't promise that, but vaccinosis is more common than you think. Do you know which vaccines she was given?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:49 pm

What is vaccinosis?

I can't remember without looking at the card but I know she only has one more round to go before she's done with puppy vaccines. She also got her rabies shot yesterday. Remember she got hold of the ant stuff? It's not from me giving her hydrogen peroxide is it? I'm just trying to think of everything. She never even threw it up :/
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:04 pm

http://www.dogs4dogs.com/truth4dogs.html

That is specifically about rabies vaccinations and their side effects.

http://www.theskyesthelimit.com/Dog%20Owners%20Should%20Vaccinate%20with%20Caution.pdf

This site has a bunch fo links to meaty articles. I truly respect Dr. Pitcairn, so I recommend you at least read his article.

http://www.kingdomcavaliers.com/vaccinosis.html
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Unfortunately vaccines can wreck havoc on animals more so than you'd think. How old is she? If she's at least 4 months (I assume she is as she's gotten Rabies) and they "fully vaccinated" her the other day you do NOT need another round. If this is a reaction to the vaccines I wouldn't get her another "booster" and if you plan on routinely vaccinating I would do it as sparingly as possible and spread out the vaccines (meaning not all in one day, preferably a few weeks apart.)

"Vaccinosis" is a term used for reactions to vaccines or over vaccination.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Diego&Roscoe
Newborn
Newborn
Diego&Roscoe

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:10 pm

we shop at a very holistic pet store the owner, Marcia is brazilian and has had her store 25+ years and even she has said to me that vaccines, although a first round is necessary, do actually take away from a dog's lifespan. I don't even vaccinate my cat anymore she's had her kitten shots, 1 year shots, 2 year rabies and that's it. she just turned three. roscoe got a 3 year rabies a couple months ago I'm not sure if it helps but in my mind it means a couple less shots from here on out. diego wasn't old enough at the time for a 3 year but he got his rabies at a much younger age thanks to the damn city codes in chicago but he did develop a massive hernia exactly where he got his rabies and had to be shaved/have surgery to remove it :/ hope Snow gets better soon and keep an eye on her just like you have been doing. Diego threw up after his last shots and acted completely different for almost two weeks it scared me half to death! Hope the your girl has a speedy recovery!
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:25 pm

I'm really freaked out right now. (Thank you panic attacks) I tried calling her and talking to her and she just lays there. She moved a little on her bed but this just doesn't seem right.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:27 pm

List of vets in NC that are Holistic

Return to Search Page
EVE BOGGS , DVM CVA, CVFT
HEALTH IN HARMONY INTEGRATED MOBILE VETERINARY SER
1003 PROPER COURT
APEX , NC 27502
Phone:
Modalities Practiced: (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(CHI) CH WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL HOUSE CALLS
healthinharmonyvet.com

LAUREL DAVIS , DVM
SunVet Animal Wellness Clinic
251-A HAYWOOD ST
ASHEVILLE , NC 28801
Phone: 828-254-2221
Fax: 828-254-2227
AC AC(IVAS) AK BF CR CN CM H NAET NU VOM WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL

KATHERINE DEVORE , DVM BS
DR. KATHERINE DEVORE
7682 HARLOW DR
HIGH POINT , NC 27263
Phone: 336-431-0038
AC CH CM NU
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL HOUSE CALLS

ROBERT FITCH , DVM
BONNIE BRAE VETERINARY HOSPITAL
155 SHUFORD ROAD
COLUMBUS , NC 28722
Phone: 828-894-6064
Fax: 828-894-6080
CH CR CR(AVCA) CM H PROLO THERAPY
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EXOTIC HOUSE CALLS
www.bonniebraeveterinaryhospital.com

PERRIN HEARTWAY , DVM
PERRIN HEARTWAY, DVM
(UNLISTED)
PITTSBORO , NC 27312
Phone: 919-444-1371
AC CH CR CR (HOWC) CM GT NU WH Prolotherapy
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE FARM HOUSE CALLS
www.heartwayholisticvet.com

KIM HOMBS , DVM BS
ATRIUM ANIMAL HOSPITAL
6520 MCMAHON DR
CHARLOTTE , NC 28226
Phone: 704-542-2000
Fax: 704-543-8455
AC(IVAS) AC(CHI) BF CH CR CN CM NU TUI-NA
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL
www.atriumanimalhospital.com

CHARLES LOOPS , DVM BS
OFFICE OF VETERINARY HOMEOPATHY
38 WADDELL HOLLOW RD
PITTSBORO , NC 27312
Phone: 919-542-0442
Fax: 919-542-0535
CH HC NU WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE FARM AVIAN
www.charlesloopsdvm.com

ANGEL MITCHELL , DVM CVA
BONNIE BRAE VETERINARY HOSPITAL
155 SHUFORD ROAD
COLUMBUS , NC 28722
Phone: 828-894-6064
Fax: 828-894-6080
AC AC(IVAS) BF CH CN CM GT NU WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EXOTIC AVIAN
www.bonniebraeveterinaryhospital.com

MARC SCHOENFIELD , DVM
215 MAPLES RD
SOUTHERN PINES , NC 28387
Phone: 910-692-7232
AC AC(CHI)
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL

Call and see if any of them will do phone consults, that's what I would do. THose are the holistic vets in your state per the AHVMA website.
Back to top Go down
Diego&Roscoe
Newborn
Newborn
Diego&Roscoe

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:28 pm

that doesn't seem right at all. lethargy is not a good sign Sad I would call the vet asap. Whatever it is you want to catch it early before it causes more damage
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:30 pm

I called my vet and she said baby aspirin and to bring her in tomorrow... called another vet... same thing. I'm just scared she's gonna stop breathing her something but the vet I just called said it doesn't sound like an emergency.... so doing the aspirin :/ I'm terrified.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:31 pm

If she's not responsive, I'd go check her gums and pupils to see how she's doing and then get her to the vet. No, the hydrogen peroxide was safe, it's not that.

"The appearance of the gums is very informative. If the gums are blue, the dog lacks oxygen. If they are white, the dog has lost blood, either internally or externally. If the gums are purple or gray and there is a slow capillary refill, the dog is probably in shock. If they are bright red, she may be fighting a systemic infection or may have been exposed to a toxin.

Some dogs have black-pigmented gums, which can make assessment difficult. For these dogs, you need to examine the pink tissue on the inside of the lower eyelid by gently pulling the eyelid down. In this case, you can only observe the color of the tissue — you can’t perform the capillary refill test — but colors mean the same thing in gums and inner eyelids." http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/what-your-dogs-gum-color-tells-you.html
Back to top Go down
Diego&Roscoe
Newborn
Newborn
Diego&Roscoe

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:35 pm

If you're this uncomfortable bring her in. Roscoe my rott had a wart looking thing on his front leg and the vets kept saying oh it's a skin tag no big deal. MY A** it grew and grew and I finally threw a fit until they biopsied it and it was a tumor. don't always assume they're right. If you're uncomfortable, bring her in. they'd be dumb to refuse you service. your dog, your rules! be strong!
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:36 pm

Her gums look a healthy pink....
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Honestly if you're concerned you need to bring her in or you're going to go nuts all night tonight. Has she been drinking? Unfortunately with vaccine reactions there isn't really much they can do since the vaccine has already been given. But they can give her fluids and be sure it isn't anything else.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:42 pm

arooroomom wrote:
Honestly if you're concerned you need to bring her in or you're going to go nuts all night tonight. Has she been drinking? Unfortunately with vaccine reactions there isn't really much they can do since the vaccine has already been given. But they can give her fluids and be sure it isn't anything else.

Kristina, when Delilah had a reaction to Lepto (in hindsight I should have never given it to her) they had em give her 25 mg. of benadryl for 24 hours. It helped a lot.

Do you think the antihistamine only works for specific vaccines?

Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:43 pm

She was drinking but I moved it to her bed so she could get to it easily. She even ate all her lunch earlier....
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:51 pm

If it IS a vaccine reaction the benadryl may help- but the fact that it's affecting her hind end coordination (which is what it looked like yest in the vid) it may not do much.

If she's eating and drinking that's a good sign.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:59 pm

I called our E vet, because Robyn's phone is charging (gotta love facebook chat) and they said that the hind end issue is due to where the injection was. They did it on her back, just it will cause pain there.
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 8:38 pm

I'll be sleeping in the living room with her tonight. We promised the kids a movie so we have to go out Sad I tried getting out of it but the kids would be really sad if Mom didn't go. So... should I gate her in the kitchen? She'd be happier on her bed instead of her crate I'm sure. I think it makes her more stiff and sore b.c she can't stretch out. And my mom is using our large crate for now until she gets one for her rescue pittie so we can't use that one.
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 12:48 am

So she did excellent in the kitchen. No accidents and she seems to be alright still.... laying on her bed again. But on a good note she was on her bed in the kitchen (which she drug over to be beside her food and water) and the cat was laying near her. Odd Smile

Going to give her another half aspirin and camp out with her in the living room tonight.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 12:50 am

LifeInSnowMotion wrote:
So she did excellent in the kitchen. No accidents and she seems to be alright still.... laying on her bed again. But on a good note she was on her bed in the kitchen (which she drug over to be beside her food and water) and the cat was laying near her. Odd Smile

Going to give her another half aspirin and camp out with her in the living room tonight.

Looks like they are actually friends when moms not home!
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 2:19 am

Could this be a blockage or something? She ate a little of a red plastic cup but I thought she passed it all.... EVERy time she's pooping now she's groaning and sometimes it's runny sometimes solid. Like just now we went out and she groaned.
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 2:30 am

honestly, I would just take her to the vet, it will put your mind to rest and also rule out anything else that could be causing this. Id much rather be safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!   Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Snow is acting weird - VET UPDATE!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next