It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Shorty4lyfe89
Teenager
Teenager
Shorty4lyfe89

Female Join date : 2012-06-18

To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen Empty
PostSubject: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 6:52 pm

I was on Amazon trying to see if I could find a deal on Milo's Kitchen, Luna likes the Chicken Strips and apparently they are making dogs incredibly sick and a lot of times dying. I personally have not had an issue with these but I will not be feeding them to Luna again. Not sure if anyone feeds their pup Milo's Kitchen but I figured I would pass it along. Here's the product and reviews on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Milos-Kitchen-Chicken-Strips-Treats/dp/B0052DH5A8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Eeek! Yes - please don't feed them!

Milo's Kitchen
Waggin' Train
Canyon Creek Ranch

Some of them have packaging to make you think it's made in America - but look for the actual words Made in USA.

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/05/22/11798368-nearly-1000-dogs-now-sick-from-jerky-treats-fda-reports-say?lite
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 7:02 pm

I don't believe they've yet pinpointed the exact cause but it's suggested to avoid any treats made with chicken from China. A lot of Milo's is Made in America, but not their chicken tenders!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks for the tip! I was going to buy Juneau some chews for the road trip next week. I will avoid these brands.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:38 pm

We got a mass email to our vet office saying that chicken jerky MADE IN THE USA is making dog sick as well! Shocked So they are saying to just stay away from all chicken jerky, or to make your own. They didn't say what the cause is and don't seem to know exactly what to pinpoint as the cause. Just thought I'd pass that on. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 1:58 pm

A lot of products are made in the USA but imported from China. I scour all parts of packaging to look for anything that says china. Dogswell I believe is Made in USA but imported from China.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 2:21 pm

Hmm, I don't know if that's the case for Blue Buffalo Jerky. We have fed it multiple times without issue. Delilah gets the turkey jerkey and Cato gets the chicken jerkey. No issues yet.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 2:22 pm

arooroomom wrote:
A lot of products are made in the USA but imported from China. I scour all parts of packaging to look for anything that says china. Dogswell I believe is Made in USA but imported from China.

Dogswell actually had a recall of their Chicken jerkey just a few days ago.

http://www.petsitusa.com/blog/?p=5308
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 4:20 pm

I feed Juneau the True Chew Chicken Jerky Fillet. We haven't had any problems so far.

http://www.mrchewy.com/true-chews-chicken-jerky-fillets-12/dp/36540?gclid=CPHC1rKWzLECFSVvTAod1GYAqw

I believe it's made in USA too. Hopefully not imported. Sad
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 4:31 pm

True chews are 100% usa made... just expensive. We are thinking about getting a dehydrator and making our own
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:06 pm

You can make them in an oven on very low heat for a long time, too! I saw a guide recently... I think it was on here. I'll have to see if I can find it.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:18 pm

I heard sweet potato treats are causing problems now too! Ones from China.

To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Some were recalled Sara! Yep, I'm just gonna make my own - to be honest, ours like strawberries as treats.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:21 pm

I got this in an e-mail and unfortunately it didn't include a link to the source.

If You Feed Sweet Potato Treats to Your Pet, Please Read This!

July 20 2012 | 15,912 views | + Add to Favorites

By Dr. Becker

It seems there’s another dog snack from China to worry about: sweet potato treats.

According to the Veterinary Information Network (VIN) 1, vets are now reporting health problems linked to sweet potato treats similar to those related to chicken jerky treats also made in China.

Test results on sick dogs show kidney problems similar to the symptoms of Fanconi syndrome. Most dogs recover, but there have been some deaths related to the chicken jerky treat problem.

Symptoms may show up within hours or days after a treat is eaten and include decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and increased thirst and urination.

If you’ve fed your dog either chicken jerky treats or sweet potato treats made in China and your pet has fallen ill, I recommend you contact your veterinarian – especially if the symptoms persist for more than 24 hours or are severe.

Pet Treats to Steer Clear Of

The brands currently implicated in the sweet potato treat problem are:

Beefeaters Sweet Potato Snacks for Dogs (16 varieties of yam-related treats)
Canyon Creek Ranch Chicken Yam Good Dog Treats (Nestlé Purina)
Drs. Foster and Smith (exact item not specified)
Dogswell Veggie Life Vitality (4 varieties)
Keep in mind that although the problem treats are often identified as “jerky” treats, they also go by a host of other names, including tenders, strips, chips, wraps, twists, and several others.

Per Poisoned Pets 2, in 2010 the FDA found that a sweet potato dog treat made by a certain company in China was contaminated with phorate, a highly toxic pesticide.

There is speculation there could be problems with pork treats and cat treats imported from China as well.

For more information on why you need to be vigilant about reading pet food labels, making phone calls to manufacturers, and really doing your homework on what you’re feeding your dog or cat, read my article Pet Food and China - More Cause for Concern?

If You Feed Your Pet Commercially Prepared Treats …

PLEASE don't buy any treat made in China. Not chicken jerky treats, chicken tenders, chicken strips, chicken treats or sweet potato treats. Play it safe. Buy only food and treats made in the U.S. Buying pet food made in this country won't remove all risk of winding up with a tainted product, but it will certainly improve your chances of keeping your pet safe.

Consider making your own sweet potato treats at home. Try to buy produce locally and make sure to wash the sweet potatoes or yams thoroughly. Then slice them nice and thin, arrange on a baking sheet, and cook in a 300º oven for about 45 minutes. Let the slices cool and store them in plastic bags.

For homemade chicken jerky treats, buy some boneless chicken breasts, clean them, and slice into long, thin strips – the thinner the better. Place the strips on a greased or non-stick cookie sheet and bake them for at least three hours at 180 degrees. The low temp dries the chicken out slowly and the strips wind up nice and chewy. Let the strips cool, and then store them in plastic bags or another airtight container. You can also freeze them.

References:

1 VeterinaryPartner.com
2 PoisonedPets.com

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:23 pm

When will people realize that all this stuff is crap? and that Purina is not a good source of dog food or treats? It's sad. Today, I had a lady try to tell me that her dog was "spoiled" because he eats Beneful. I kept my mouth shut, but it was incredibly difficult.
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyFri Aug 03, 2012 10:31 pm

Gone to the Snow dogs made chicken jerky.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 12:14 am

^ Like! I wonder if that makes your whole house stink when it's cooking? I think I'd have to wait for Steve to be gone all day before I could make those treats.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 12:17 am

Could we do that with veggies too?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptySun Aug 05, 2012 7:29 pm

Kona chips are made in America.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Kona chips are made in America.

They are made 25 mins from where i live Smile Oakdale, CA
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyMon Aug 06, 2012 5:29 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
When will people realize that all this stuff is crap? and that Purina is not a good source of dog food or treats? It's sad. Today, I had a lady try to tell me that her dog was "spoiled" because he eats Beneful. I kept my mouth shut, but it was incredibly difficult.

At my old job, I heard that all the time and it was extremely difficult to not give them the "are you #^^>*#%! dumb" face.

Jarod and I bought a dehydrator and are just dehydrating food for treats. Cheaper and safer!
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 3:48 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Could we do that with veggies too?

Sweet Potato/Yam Treats
 Wash the sweet potatoes or yams thoroughly.
 Thinly slice and arrange on a baking sheet
 Cook in a 300º oven for about 45 minutes.

Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:04 pm

Woo woo! I made banana chips. Cato loves em
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:10 pm

You can do apple chips too!...and beef jerky....and chicken jerky....and fish jerky....and lamb jerky....all in the oven! Just ask the butcher to slice the beef/lamb thin for you, or you can slice it yourself - it might be a little thicker, but just cook it longer.

Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:27 pm

Mine loved the sweet potato just steamed, too! If you run out of treats, you can stick them in the microwave and have some treats pretty quickly! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen   To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen Empty

Back to top Go down

To anyone that gives their dog Milo's Kitchen

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1