It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

What coat color/pattern would this be?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

color - What coat color/pattern would this be? Empty
PostSubject: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 10:49 am

What would you call this coat color/pattern on this husky? Would think he's a mix?

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 10:52 am

What would you call this coat color/pattern on this husky? Would think he's a mix?

color - What coat color/pattern would this be? Indy_t11

color - What coat color/pattern would this be? Indy_t12

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 11:19 am

Merle???????????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merle_(dog_coat)

Cool looking Husky though.
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 11:31 am

I knew there was a name for it, and I knew it was for a different breed - I just couldn't remember what it was!

Thanks Len!

Does this mean he's a mix?

Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 11:39 am

Merle is not present in purebred Siberians. SHCA has a big post on it on the website.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 11:49 am

Definitely Merle, but as Kristina pointed out it cannot be a purebred with the gene.

cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 11:59 am

Would it be safe to say, since the Merle gene is found more in Australian Shepards, that this boy is a husky/aussie mix?

Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Reminds me of Raleigh:
color - What coat color/pattern would this be? DSCF4440

I would just put mix, he looks mostly Husky but there are a few very unethical BYBs trying to bring Merle (and all the problems that come with it) into the breed. Once they bring it in it can be carried and pop up every now and then. Sara should have a few words to add I'm sure lol

Back to top Go down
Jem
Newborn
Newborn
Jem

Female Join date : 2011-06-28

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Maybe some Catahoula in the back round?
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Sterling does look very much like Raleigh!

I got the scoop on his background and I really think he should be considered a mix - mostly husky - but there is a little of something else in him.

-----------

I will be happy to tell you what I know. I was looking for a good AKC registered female to show back in 2006, and I came across this absolutely adorable spotted puppy in Madisonville, TN. I wondered why I had never seen the coat pattern before, thinking maybe there was something off. The breeder was great about letting us visit, and while the mother (Cooper's Southern Shooting Star) was a normal black & white female, the sire to the litter (Cooper's Southern Timber) had faint spotting on his ears. She said she had purchased him from Stan Murrey supposedly a big breeder in North Carolina (I never found his kennel, so I'm unsure on that), and that Timber had darker spots as a puppy that had faded out when he grew up. Timber looked absolutely 100% Siberian to me, and me being a sucker for uniqueness went ahead and put a deposit on her. (Looking back on that now, I should've known better, and have kicked myself for it ever since).

At the same time, I have a breeder friend elsewhere in TN that - same as me - loved their uniqueness and bought a sister.

When I picked my puppy up, the breeder told me she had sent in Timber's DNA to the AKC because the coloring was so unusual and she wanted to see about it being recognized. I thought "cool" and went on...

Well - the day came and I brought her home and dubbed her Echo. I was all excited to get her papers. That was just before Christmas that year. Right after Christmas the AKC suspended Echo's registration and gave her a conditional registration instead. I was instructed by the AKC to contact the breeder. I had a complete total cow. I contacted the breeder and asked why. She went on to explain that Timber's sire on the AKC records did not match the DNA on file for that stud.

The AKC told me that Echo would never have more than conditional registration. To revert back to full/regular registration, Echo, and three more generations of her lineage would need to be DNA registered, and the line would be free and clear.

In the meantime, the breeder I purchased Echo from went belly up because of this. Stan would never return her phone calls, and she couldn't get any rectification for those of us who had purchased one of the puppies, and she gave up altogether after someone shot and killed Timber. Her reputation went down the toilet, which was too bad, because it wasn't really her fault. I chose to keep Echo and straighten it out through DNA with the AKC. Other breeders who purchased the other puppies in the litter had their dogs fixed and got rid of them, so to the best of my knowledge, Rain & Echo are it.

My breeder friend (who does not use AKC, only CKC) sold her dog to a breeder in Arkansas because she didn't want to fool with the whole mess. That breeder registered Rain and proceeded to breed her. Rain was only a little over a year old when she had her first litter. That breeder did do all the DNA registration and sold a whole bunch of those puppies.

That breeder kept several of the offspring, and Rain was then sold after about the 4th or 5th litter in a few short years (it was not long at all) to another breeder somewhere in Indiana/Illinois who continued to breed her.
After Echo was 2, I decided to go ahead and let Echo have a litter. I put her with the blackest, darkest male I could find, and even so, still ended up with one puppy with the same color pattern. She had 4 puppies - 3 black and one spotted one, and then I had her fixed. I kept her daughter, DNA registered her, and her daughter produced (again) 2 puppies with that coat pattern in a litter of 5. I still have two of those 5.

During all of this, Echo & Rain's breeder sold their mother (Star) to another breeder friend of mine, and she was nice enough to DNA register Star for me, so Echo's grandpuppies are the 4th generation instead of her great-grandpuppies.

With all that being said - is there an Australian Shepherd in the woodpile? I cannot say with 100% certainty that there is or isn't, but since Timber's DNA did not match, that leaves the door open for debate. It definitely looks suspicious. However, since the DNA has been done on Rain's and Echo's progeny, it appears diluted enough that all Siberian shows through - it's just that coloring remains. Even so - I still choose to do a spay/neuter contract on mine. In all honesty, Echo has never acted anything less than Siberian. She's stubborn, sweet, strong willed, sneaky, and has a great sense of humor. (Loves hiding our Golden Retriever's toys after she takes out all the stuffing.)

Since there are so many of Rain's progeny out there, you may start seeing them more often now that AKC reverted their registration status. I know at least 4 breeders now further out west using those decsendents. The rescue you now have is (almost positively) descended from Rain, and I would also bet that someone paid through the nose to get him.

I hope that you find a good home for him. My Echo and her daughter and grandaughters are some of the sweetest and most loveable dogs I've had the chance to know, even with the headache of their paperwork.

Husky Collector
arooroomom

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Oh what a responsible puppy buyer and breeder! That makes me so angry. Just what we need Merle in Sibes! Mad

Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 3:51 pm

I know of those breeders she's talking about in the email. Here's pictures of their dogs

Also when they register, they register them as piebalds so that might be why they've been okay with AKC. They are also DNA'd

Storm:
color - What coat color/pattern would this be? Storm%209-29-09a

Knox:
color - What coat color/pattern would this be? Knox1

And from a breeder in KY, Twister:
color - What coat color/pattern would this be? Twister2-333x448

Storm and Twister are sisters. Here's them together
color - What coat color/pattern would this be? 19832_1287364981009_4525631_n

And a past puppy of Storms
color - What coat color/pattern would this be? 417188_10150512210990168_1358367097_n
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:01 pm

wow what a mess! Poor Rain being breed and passed around so much.

Knox is beautiful though!
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:46 pm

Fascinating thread, thank you! And he's adorable - look at that expression on his face and that cute little tongue!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:51 pm

Yep...I was reading the story and thought, 'OMG, NO!'

I do have to admit - Sterling is very cute. And because we are a rescue, and it's to no fault of his own, we will help him find a furever home.

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 4:55 pm

cmanding wrote:
Yep...I was reading the story and thought, 'OMG, NO!'

I do have to admit - Sterling is very cute. And because we are a rescue, and it's to no fault of his own, we will help him find a furever home.

Thank god for rescue like yours Claudia.

I can't fathom how someone could treat a dog like this.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm glad you can help him. As you say, the breeding isn't his fault. I think he's cute.
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:17 pm

That kennel - is the reason the SHCA released their statement on Merle Siberians. They were/are able to be registered as purebreds because the papers were falsified - not because of how they register the colors. They only register the dogs as piebalds because it's a recognized per the standard and the dogs are sold as "rare". That's all people see is "rare" and "unique" and think jackpot.

cmanding wrote:
Would it be safe to say, since the Merle gene is found more in Australian Shepards, that this boy is a husky/aussie mix?

Many breeds carry the merle gene. For example: Australian Shepherds, Border Collies, Cardigan Welsh Corgis, Chis, Poms, Doxies and Sheltlands to name a few.

color - What coat color/pattern would this be? Oil_pa11

Last edited by Niraya on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Can you show that kind of a dog, Ceara?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:25 pm

A merle Siberian? None have been in the AKC rings as far as I know - I did hear that UKC had a few merles in their rings though.

Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Yeah, AKC opened the flood gates withe their rule change in 2005 to allow Conditional Registration.
http://www.akc.org/reg/conditional_reg_info.cfm

Pretty much there can be a DNA mismatch, as in they don't know who the sire is, and the puppies get a conditional registration if the breeder claims the sire was the same breed. So they pretty much take the breeder's word for it and if no one tries to claim it's a mix, then they get away with it. My guess is the first breeder kept their mouth shut and SHCA didn't find out until too late hence their statement on merle which was written in 2011 when they realized the problem. So with a conditional registration you need three generations of puppies before you can go back to regular registration and then it's like it never happened.

I have heard that the first breeder with merle puppies was a crappy BYB who sold siberian huskies and, what do you know, aussies! So it's a no brainer there. And since then, BYB's have been fascinated with the color and how "rare" it is and how it can draw in big $$$. So now there are several merle huskies out there (notice how I won't call them siberians anymore) and it's no surprise that they are ending up in rescue since these breeders are probably only in it for the money.

Oh and don't tell the breeders they are breeding merles! To them, they are breeding piebalds! They won't admit that these dogs are merles, because they know the SHCA's stance on it and if you mention anything to them, they get really, really pissed at you. I know from a conversation I'd had with the owner of Copperhead. Oh she flipped a switch on me! But you would too if you were selling these "rare" colored huskies like hot cakes and someone was trying to ruin your "business" (her word not mine).

color - What coat color/pattern would this be? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:39 pm

wow what great information, I myself like the merle pattern, I think its different and pretty, but on the right breed for which it is allowed.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Honestly, if these breeders would stop calling them purebred and be more like that huskita person, it wouldn't bug me nearly as much.

color - What coat color/pattern would this be? Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Niraya
Niraya

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:45 pm

SaraB wrote:
Honestly, if these breeders would stop calling them purebred and be more like that huskita person, it wouldn't bug me nearly as much.

quoted for emphasis AND truth!

Back to top Go down
cmanding
cmanding

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? EmptySat Jul 21, 2012 8:54 pm

Niraya wrote:
SaraB wrote:

quoted for emphasis AND truth!
ditto!!

PostSubject: Re: What coat color/pattern would this be?   color - What coat color/pattern would this be? Empty

Back to top Go down

What coat color/pattern would this be?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next