It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CrashBangWallop
Newborn
Newborn
CrashBangWallop

Female Join date : 2012-07-23

My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice! Empty
PostSubject: My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice!   My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice! EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 4:58 pm

Sorry about the length of this post but I thought it'd be easier to respond if I'm thorough!

I have a Siberian Husky puppy that turned 8 weeks old on Saturday 28th July 2012. We collected him from the breeder on Monday 31st. All of Monday & Tuesday he seemed fine (albiet occasionally a bit whiny at night - he's been sleeping in the same room as us at the mo.)

This morning (Wednesday) he did a normal-looking stool after his breakfast, which was quickly followed by what can only be described as a stool resembling a pile of thick chocolate pudding (eurgh!) He was fed again at one, and almost immediately afterward he tried to poo again but all that came out was a gush of brown water. This happened about four times during the course of the afternoon. He hasn't vomited, he doesn't appear to be ill or tired - the only difference being he is panting & drinking alot.

We usually feed him again at eight but due to his unhealthy bowl movements I only gave him half what he's used to. Again, almost immediately afterward he went to the toilet & again, most of it was brown water though the there was ONE little bit that was half-solid. This made me super happy & relieved.

Half an hour later, he was pooing again & again it was nothing but brown water. Sad

He had cooked chicken on Monday & Tuesday as treats for training, but the only thing he's eaten today is his standard dog food (Purina puppy for large breeds - I realise this isn't highest quality food & I was intending on moving him onto something better when this clears up; but this is what he was weaned on at the breeders, so his food hasn't changed). He had his first vaccination on the Tuesday afternoon which made him a little drowsy, but the vet said it shouldn't cause diarrhoea.

I've rang both the breeder & the vet & each said a very similar thing - as long as he's drinking plenty, it shouldn't be anything too serious.

There had been no blood as of yet & like I said, he doesn't appear to notice that he's ill in any way. I'm just REALLY worried about him because I've read horrible things about diarrhoea being fatal to young pups. He doesn't seem to have a loss of appetite & is drinking lots of water. What could it be?

He's been with us nearly three complete days - could the stress of the move really be responsible for such a dramatic change in his toilet habits?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Demon&Dakota
Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice!   My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice! EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 5:52 pm

The adjustment of being away from his littermates and momma can be very stressful on a puppy. Try feeding him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or hard boiled eggs and carrots or green beans for a few days. See if you can get his BMs under control. If there's no improvement at all, there might be something else going on. There are a few people on here that are much more knowledgeable than I am and I hope they chime in. But this is what I would do in your situation where both the vet and breeder say it's nothing too serious. Especially when all other characteristics of the pup appear normal.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice!   My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice! EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Has the vet done a parasite check yet? Sometimes pups can get Coccidia, and a lot will get worms. That's the first thing I'd check, and I'd also look into diet.

Demon&Dakota wrote:
Try feeding him a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice or hard boiled eggs and carrots or green beans for a few days. See if you can get his BMs under control.

This is a great suggestion, and it's what we did with Ghost when she had the same problem. I'd get rid of the Purina asap and look into something higher quality. You may need to go grain free, so be prepared for that. I'd suggest doing eggs, green beans, and carrots (we did scrambled eggs for Ghost) to get all grain out of his system. When his poos firm up again, you can try a little boiled chicken and rice, but definitely only try one new thing at a time so you can isolate a potential irritant. You can also try introducing a new kibble once his poos firm up, but you may have to do a little trial and error to see what he tolerates. We had great success with both Blue Wilderness and Taste of the Wild, but I'm not sure how available those are across the pond. Good luck!

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice! 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice!   My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice! EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 10:44 pm

When we first got our puppy she had diarrhea for what felt like forever. We had her tested and retested and the vet just couldn't figure it out because they couldn't find anything. We kept feeding her the puppy food the breeder had her on in hopes of eventually switching to Blue Buffalo Wilderness and every time she ate the breeder kibble she got diarrhea. We put her on the bland diet for a couple of days and she got better, tried her old kibble again it was back to the diarrhea. (Guess you can say we didnt know much as this was our first puppy.) We of course finally put two and two together and did a little research and found out our puppy food, the one the breeder gave, had been recalled. We put her on the chicken and rice bland diet for i think three days, she loved it and then switched straight to Blue Buffalo Wilderness and unlike normal dogs she didn't get diarrhea from the drastic change of food but we didn't have much choice because I was not feeding her the recalled food but what makes it worse the breeder didn't even let us know the food was recalled, I had to let them know....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice!   My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice! Empty

Back to top Go down

My new puppy has diarrhoea & I need some advice!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1