It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Monthly or Annual Costs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Nicholas F.
Newborn
Newborn
Nicholas F.

Male Join date : 2012-08-16

Monthly or Annual Costs? Empty
PostSubject: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 8:54 pm

So I am doing some more planning for getting a Husky.

This time around, I am wondering what your guys usual monthly or annual costs are for owning a Husky. Food, toys, equipment, vet visits, and all that good stuff.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 9:44 pm

This will surely vary person to person.
I spend a ridiculous amount on food/treats/toys/collars/leashes/hiking and running gear. I spend nearly nothing on vet visits aside from an annual blood test and fecal (I would say your first year have $1,000 for shots, being fixed, blood work, fecals, heartworm testing, deworming, paranoid new husky owner visits, etc).

This thread is probably what you want to read: Give it to me straight - what do your dogs cost each month?
Back to top Go down
Nicholas F.
Newborn
Newborn
Nicholas F.

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 10:56 pm

Thanks. =) Guess I should use the search option before posting. Haha.
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:12 pm

I never weighed in on the other thread. I'm definitely in the "skimp" camp.

Sure I spend a lot of money on his equipment - but now that I have it I don't buy anything really.

Initial Costs:
This will vary depending on what you want to spend,
Crate, Bed, Harnesses/Backpack (we work our boy in harness), food bowl, puppy shots, neuter... etc. et.c

Sustaining costs:
Annual vet check up: this will vary a lot based off your chosen vet. I don't even know what ours cost. Maybe like $50.
Food: Roughly $30 a month (a 30lb bag of TOTW lasts us over a month)
Treats: Greenies, about every other day or so we give him one. So $20 a month or there abouts. The only other treats we give Appa are hotdogs frozen in water, cheese, we'll dehydrate bananas, and some peanut butter. We aren't big treaters in this house.
Monthly bath: $10 to use the self service.

I honestly don't remember the last expense for Appa besides food... that's how not often we buy him things.

That's it for "continual" costs.

Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Add heartworm prevention and flea/tick prevention to Rileys list and I think you're OK Smile We're not huge treat givers either. They're treats are literally...baby carrots....$2.29 a bag...a week....lol. I have three though so I have to try to cut costs where I can. Especially if I want to buy them cute stuff without hubby having a fit Razz
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 11:59 pm

Oh yeah. Heart worm meds - you can pick those up at Walmart now, but my heart guard was $100 a year. We don't do a flea/tick preventative...
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:01 am

I'd be so much ricer if I didn't have dogs. That is all.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:06 am

I spend $300 a month easily not including vet visits. It can be more expensive at times. Then again I have 6 dog's.

I would plan on spending a $100/month and also set aside an emergency stash of $1,500. You never know when you may need it!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:09 am

Heather! wrote:

lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:11 am

MelissaI wrote:
Heather! wrote:

lol! lol! lol!

Hayden_69 wrote:
I spend $300 a month easily not including vet visits. It can be more expensive at times. Then again I have 6 dog's.

Melissa, I spend more than someone with 6 dogs. So not LOL worthy. My life is a joke. Where is Kristina so I can not feel so bad about myself?
Back to top Go down
Lu&Katsmom
Adult
Adult
Lu&Katsmom

Female Join date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:13 am

MelissaI wrote:
Heather! wrote:

lol! lol! lol!

I spend way to much on my dogs. I don't even want to know how much per month. I like spending money on them! I don't really buy anything for myself, just stuff for the dogs. Spoiled brats.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:17 am

Lu&Katsmom wrote:
MelissaI wrote:
Heather! wrote:

lol! lol! lol!

I spend way to much on my dogs. I don't even want to know how much per month. I like spending money on them! I don't really buy anything for myself, just stuff for the dogs. Spoiled brats.

I'm always saying that I buy more things for the dogs than myself! I don't remember the last time I went shopping for myself. Or grabbed something for me instead of the dogs...lol
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 12:32 am

If I didn't buy them retarded ass shit I would have a hell of a lot more money!!!

Food is our biggest cost. It's about $250 a month. Add in $50 a month for flea season. Other than that it's toys, leashes, collars, ect. I have a serious problem. LOL

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
SabakaMom
Senior
Senior
SabakaMom

Female Join date : 2011-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:08 am

I'm with Riley...

We don't go crazy buying stuff for Sabaka. I'm pretty sure that food, treats, flea and tick and heartworm prevention can be bought for about $50-60 per month. We go to the vet once a year.

The first year was crazy! I could not believe the money rolling out of this house! I think I mentioned some of this in that other link that Heather directed you to. There is all of those set-up costs like food bowls and harnesses and collars and dog tags and microchipping and shots and neutering and leashes and a crate and more harnesses and collars (because he grew) and a fence and a new dress shirt for hubby because Sabaka ripped one up and the new sofa cushion and the carpet cleaning and enzyme cleaner because of potty accidents and a dog bed.... OH MY! No more puppies!
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:09 am

arooroomom wrote:
If I didn't buy them retarded ass shit I would have a hell of a lot more money!!!

Food is our biggest cost. It's about $250 a month. Add in $50 a month for flea season. Other than that it's toys, leashes, collars, ect. I have a serious problem. LOL

I'm so glad I have you in my life to talk about obscene dog accessory splurging and horrendous MTV shows. Don't ever move close to me, it would be dangerous.
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:23 am

I spend $38/food, $42/heart worm and flea pill, $2/zinc supplement & about $8/treats in a month. So $90 a month just for necessities. This does not include their yearly vet visits and any tags/collars/leashes/toys/beds that I buy on occasion. I will need to add in joint supplements in a couple of years. The older your dog gets the more money you should plan to spend. I had three aging pets on medication there for awhile...
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:30 am

I spend a ridiculous amount of money on the dogs - food is nothing, we have a great Co-Op - supplements I get cheap too. But, I am constantly grabbing himalayan chews or duck feet or Zukes bones. On top of that I feel the insatiable need to keep buying them collars and leads. I see so many new ones I can't help it. Then there's toys, treats (usually strawberries) antlers, and all kinds of other crap.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Nicholas F.
Newborn
Newborn
Nicholas F.

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:36 am

Wow, well it actually seems cheaper than I expected. (Of course there is all the start up costs). I'm planning on getting a rescue Husky, so maybe some things will be taken care of, but still it seems a lot cheaper at the moment than I was thinking.

Thanks for all the insight. =)
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:43 am

Yes, it will help with veterinary costs, but be prepared - a rescue can come with its own set of quirks. In our case, we paid for training Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Nicholas F.
Newborn
Newborn
Nicholas F.

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 1:49 am

Hehe. =) Looking forward to it. I'm probably going to end up being an Applied Animal Behaviorist, but I won't be one until a few years after getting the Husky, so if there were any problem behaviors then I'd probably seek out a dog trainer as well.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 6:05 am

Take into consideration the dollar exchange from Australia to America.

I spend about $150 - $200 every 6 weeks on food. (Dry and Raw)

Worming, flea and tick treatment was $70 for 3 months. (Advacate)

The most I've spent in a month for toys is $80, but it's usually more like $20 - $30.

Vet treatments. Vaccinations $75, De-sexing $150, check up $65

Crate and bedding $50 for when they're puppy, another $100 for when they out grow small crate and move up to large.

collars, harnesses, leashes $100 innitial, but then you'll experiment with different brands, makes and models until you find what you're looking for and what works best for your furrbaby.

Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 2:04 pm

So far for me, (I've had Cally about 5 months now) vet bills in total (spaying, flea/heartworm treatments, 2nd & 3rd shots, and a few unexpected visits) has been about $1050.00 and then on top of that, our food was costing us $40 a month but we switched over to BBW so it is now costing us $70 every 6 weeks for food (approx.) then treats ($20-30 a month, depends on bones etc.) plus your start up costs of collars, leashes, beds, crates, bowls.... I think it all depends on the person! I feel like Cally is overly spoiled lol! But then again, who on here doesn't spoil their husky?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monthly or Annual Costs?   Monthly or Annual Costs? Empty

Back to top Go down

Monthly or Annual Costs?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1