It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose Empty
PostSubject: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 4:35 pm

Hello all,

Have any of you experienced your huskies doing a "reverse sneeze"? I've done some research and youtubed some videos to confirm her symptoms. It kinda sounds like she is hyperventilating. scratch Juneau did it 4 times yesterday, but none today. It started when she was asleep on her back. She woke up and started reverse sneezing for about 15 seconds. Her episodes usually aren't any longer than 20-30 seconds. She is in good health - 4 months and 25 pounds. All vaccinated with shots.

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_ReverseSneezing.html

Says it can be triggered by running a lot, pulling on leash, dust, and right after eating. She did run a lot yesterday. I'll just keep a close eye on her. Are any of you familiar?

Also - a customer of mine at work is always commenting about her nose being warm. He says she is sick. I've done research. As long as her nose isn't sore, swollen or peeling, then I am fine. As mentioned before, she is always full of energy, eating normally, etc etc. Her nose is moist when she goes to the dog park and runs around. She's in a 65-70 degree office all day with me. Is this something I should be concerned about, or should I tell my customer that I know what's right with my dog?
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Cally has never done this although my pug Chewy and all 3 of my sisters Chihahaus do this. My sisters pups do it when there overly excited or on walks sometimes or nervous/scared and they have all done it since they were puppies. Chewy has been doing it since we adopted him and possibly even before. Typically what my sister and I both do with our pups is talk to them in a soothing voice and rub there throat gently and it will go away. The only solution to this that I am aware of is that you can get surgery for your dog but is expensive and it is not guaranteed to work. I'm sure someone else on here can help some more, this is just my personal experience!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks! Yeah, people say to pinch the bridge of their nose or rub their throat. I'll do that next time. Thank you. Smile
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 4:55 pm

Saber does this from time to time. Usually pinching his nose or rubbing his throat doesn't help. He just has to work it out himself which he does.
In regards to the warm nose, it definitely doesn't mean your husky is sick. Same thing if they have a dry nose. It doesn't necessarily mean sickness.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 5:06 pm

SaberK wrote:
Saber does this from time to time. Usually pinching his nose or rubbing his throat doesn't help. He just has to work it out himself which he does.
In regards to the warm nose, it definitely doesn't mean your husky is sick. Same thing if they have a dry nose. It doesn't necessarily mean sickness.

Oh okay. I'll figure out what works best for her.

Thanks! He's just a pita! lol
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Yeah, they're all pitas at one time or another! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
yung_wallace B5
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 7:25 pm

hello jackie Smile guess who i am hahaha
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 1:37 am

yung_wallace B5 wrote:
hello jackie Smile guess who i am hahaha

Omg! Taz! This is so weird! lol I remember seeing a Husky in your VW Avatar!
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 2:07 am

The dog I grew up with used to do this. We brought it up to the vet and they said allergies could cause it.

She takes 1.5 little pills twice a day that are just basic allergy meds. Chlorpheniramine I think? We buy OTC at walmart and it's very inexpensive. It seems to stop the episodes and when we miss a day, we definitely notice a difference.

I suppose, my vet could be crazy but it's worth looking into!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 12:23 pm

katiesham wrote:
The dog I grew up with used to do this. We brought it up to the vet and they said allergies could cause it.

She takes 1.5 little pills twice a day that are just basic allergy meds. Chlorpheniramine I think? We buy OTC at walmart and it's very inexpensive. It seems to stop the episodes and when we miss a day, we definitely notice a difference.

I suppose, my vet could be crazy but it's worth looking into!

Thanks! I'll look into that! Yeah, if she has about 4-5 episodes a day, I'll probably take her in. She didn't do it at all yesterday, but did it once this morning. I'll just see how the day progresses!
Back to top Go down
Scarletamiee76
Newborn
Newborn
Scarletamiee76

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Our puppy, Nash, is approximately the same age and weight... and started doing that "reverse sneeze" thing a couple weeks ago... I also did research and read that it could be the roots of the teeth "tickling" the sinus cavity... This was more for older dogs with an abscess tooth... but I believe it could also be from his teething! I noticed that he had the 2 huge molars in the back breaking through a couple days later... the reverse sneezes have pretty much subsided since the teeth broke through!

Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 1:24 pm

My dog was doing this really bad when we had all the fires in CO, so we started leaving him inside during the day and it went away. As mentioned, I've found that rubbing the throat helps them stop.
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Well, I've decided to take her to the vet. She sneezed regularly earlier and it was yellow snot. She ate it before I had the chance to wipe the snot! Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose 1625187496

I'll keep y'all updated. Looks like no more doggy parks for a few days!
Back to top Go down
rileyflorence
Adult
Adult
rileyflorence

Male Join date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Appa does this during allergy season. Luckily he seems to be allergic to the same pollen/dust as my wife. So if she wakes up and is a mess we know Appa will be too. That way we only give him Benadryl when he needs it.

Good luck at the vet.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 9:10 pm

My parent's dog has always done this, though not as frequently. The vet said it wasn't a big deal. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 12:08 am

Thanks. Well, I may have to change vets. Or at least change doctors. The first guy I went to was very nice, genuinely caring, and informative. This second guy that I've been with twice isn't very informative. Anyways...

Temp. appeared normal. 4 months and 1 day, 27.2 pounds. They treated it as a respiratory infection and gave antibiotics to prevent it from turning into pneumonia. He gave her 22.7 mg of Baytril. Then gave us 7 antibiotic pills (Orbax - 68mg Tablets). $145 later... Ouch. But, her energy level has perked up! All that matters is that she gets better.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose   Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose Empty

Back to top Go down

Reverse Sneezing and Warm Nose

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1