It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! Empty
PostSubject: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 12:32 pm

So Bode is almost 4 months. He sleeps through the night in his crate. Hes never had any accidents in his crate other than diarrhea when he was having issues. He does still have the occasional little pee accident in the house if we miss his cues.

If you let your dog sleep outside of the crate, what age did you feel comfortable doing that? Do you let him have free reign or stay just in the bedroom with you? Obviously Bode likes being on the bed with us, and he usually settles down for the night at around 8 which is before us, so we just let him sleep wherever then put him in his crate when we go to sleep. I feel bad when he's so comfy putting him in his crate!
Back to top Go down
paleobones
Teenager
Teenager
paleobones

Female Join date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 12:56 pm

We started letting Raven sleep outside her crate and in our room at around 8 months. She stopped having accidents, pee, at about 4-5 months. I would wait until he is accident free and I would keep him in the room with you at first.
Back to top Go down
jschrader
Adult
Adult
jschrader

Male Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 1:34 pm

I started letting Nikko sleep outside his crate at about 6 months old, when I was sure he was completely housetrained and able to hold it throughout the night. He would always be on the bed, but the last week or so he will jump off the bed and sleep on the floor in the middle of the night. I keep my doors closed so he does not have full rein of the house at night.
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 1:48 pm

We actually never had Danzig sleep in his crate at night. He was always really good at sleeping and not roaming the house and he usually sleeps on the floor in his little "couch cave".

I do think it's a good idea to leave the crate open so they can go in and sleep in there if they want. In the winter, Danzig loves sleeping in his crate.
Back to top Go down
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 2:08 pm

Well I don't make her sleep in the crate anymore. I leave the door open she will usually go in there on her own and sleep. I think it was 5-6 months I let her. I think some of CO peeps can vouch for me. Maggie is the calmest dog ever, she doesn't really need to be supervised at night time.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 3:03 pm

I never crate trained Kale to the point where he needed to sleep in there all night. He had free roam of the kitchen, cut off with baby gates. At 5 months I abruptly transitioned him to my bedroom, but I still took him out once in the middle of the night.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
AdamK
Teenager
Teenager
AdamK

Male Join date : 2012-05-26

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 6:55 pm

i had shadow in his crate since 8weeks which wasnt bad at all, then about 3 weeks after we decided to try the bed to see how he would do. Slept 9 hrs without having to go out to potty and its been that way since, hes 4 months now.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Thunder is 4 1/2 months, we got him 10 days ago, he does not sleep in a crate, thank God one thing he has done since day one is sleep through the night, he sleeps from 10pm-8am, without accidents or waking up, BUT there is always someone home with him, my father is retired so he never has a chance to get into trouble lol.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 11:59 pm

Anna usually sleeps in the bedroom with us, with the door shut but she started getting diarrhea since we started going back to school so she sleeps in the crate right now. She started having accidents on the floor multiple times a night and that wasn't fun. Anyways Anna sleeps all night long and wakes me up about 7 to take her potty when she is in the crate, after we come back in she usually gets to sleep in the bedroom with us for a couple more hours. She likes to sleep in and will sleep more than we do, she is very laid back. But she will come lick my face when she has to potty if she is in the bedroom and if she is in the crate she will cry so she let's me know when she has to go.
Back to top Go down
JillC
Teenager
Teenager
JillC

Female Join date : 2011-05-03

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 1:26 am

Evie still sleeps in her crate every night and she will be 2 in February. I debated seeing how she would do just on the floor in our room instead, but then I decided why mess with a good thing? It took us so long to break her separation anxiety and to get her to love her crate that I don't want to risk taking steps backwards. It's just a personal choice of what you're comfortable with really. I like that whenever I say "bedtime" , day or night, she just goes without a peep. I know she's tucked in safe and I don't have to worry about furniture legs being chewed off while I snooze Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sammie-Leigh
Puppy
Puppy
Sammie-Leigh

Female Join date : 2012-07-25

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 2:26 am

Our 3 were never crate trained, we never had a need for it, they sleep with us in our bedroom at night, all i need to say in "Bedtime, let's go" and they go in single file to the bedroom and plonk themselves down on the floor, Halli has a fairly large blanket and pillow she has claimed as her own that she curls up in and sleeps on, or when we are both in a deep sleep she jumps on the bed (usually wake up to find her squished in between us with her head on the pillow), Brooklyn sleeps on the floor next to me, or under the bed with his frog legs sticking out, and Compton sleeps next to Halli, he tries to get her to share her blanket but she will only let him put his head on it and that is all, no more no less. We go to bed at about 10pm and i am awake at about 6.30am and i let them out then. We didn't start doing that until Compton was about 5-6 months or so and we were sure he could either hold it or let us know he needed to go, before then we left the bedroom door and the back door open for them all.
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Balon is almost 7 months and is sleeping in his crate still, but he has been extremely difficult to housebreak so I don't see him getting freedom at night anytime soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:00 pm

I have never crated Cato at night - he always sleeps n my room with the door shut. Delilah was crated when we first got her because we didn't know how she would act with the cats. After a few months we transitioned her to free roam of the apartment. Now, she sleeps in the bedroom with Cato. The two of them sleep as long as I stay in bed. Very well behaved - but we are also lucky to have dogs who will wake us up if necessary.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:04 pm

All three sleep in the bedroom with us (door closed). Kody sleeps in bed with us and the girls on the doggie beds next to me. At some point one of them might jump on the bed too, but never all three. I guess they know they won't fit...lol. We have a king, but Kody takes up as much space as hubby! He's stretches out! Actually if hubby doesn't go to bed at the same time as me then all three lay with me I love you

Mya has always slept out of the crate. I don't remember if she had accidents at first or not. I'm sure she did as she was a naughty puppy. We tried crating Kody at night for maybe a week and then let him loose. He had no accidents. Asia was in the crate for about a week as well, but that was because we didn't trust Mya around her at night. She had a few accidents, but that's it. They sleep through the night, but wake me up (at the latest) 6:50am to potty.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:05 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
The two of them sleep as long as I stay in bed. V well beeryhaved - but we are also lucky to have dogs who will wake us up if necessary.

You have NO idea how jealous I am! Razz I don't even have to set my alarm clock!
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:12 pm

I've got a 4 1/2 month (although not husky) and she's been able to stay out at night for almost two weeks now. She's not housebroken yet but she does hold it all night. I take her out just before bed and make sure she's plenty exhausted and then it's bedtime. She stays asleep all night. She doesn't move until 7 am when it's time to pee. Good on weekdays, not on weekends. On the other hand, my family's 3 year old chihuahua can't be trusted out of the crate without someone awake.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:13 pm

Well, when ours were on kibble, i was woke up by 7 every morning for breakfast by Cato - Now that we are on all raw, life is much easier and he sleeps like a rock. I feed them at 11ish and I get all the sleep I want. lol I'm telling you, it sucked ass when it was 7am wake up call.
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:17 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
Well, when ours were on kibble, i was woke up by 7 every morning for breakfast by Cato - Now that we are on all raw, life is much easier and he sleeps like a rock. I feed them at 11ish and I get all the sleep I want. lol I'm telling you, it sucked ass when it was 7am wake up call.

Even if I fed them at 11 Kody would still be up at 7am Rolling Eyes You lucky lucky girl!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! EmptyThu Sep 06, 2012 10:18 pm

I'm telling you, try feeding them only once, just raw - they sleep longer and stay full longer. If I feed anything else (one night a few weeks ago, I fed kibble for the sake of convenience) I was woke up at 6:30 - never again! lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!   sleep - When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)! Empty

Back to top Go down

When did you let your puppy sleep out of the crate (if at all)!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1