It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
misasodario
Newborn
Newborn
misasodario

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food Empty
PostSubject: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:14 pm

I feed my puppy BB large breed puppy food but it isn't wilderness. Should I switch it to wilderness? I went on the BB site and it said that the food I give her has whole grain and I was wondering if that's a possible reason why she gets soft stool.

breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food Img_4712
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 8:33 pm

It's possible that the soft stool could be from the food, but it could also be due to a number of things not related to the food.

Most of us prefer grain free diets and prefer Wilderness over the grain inclusive formulas. But feed what works best for you and your dog.

Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 10:01 pm

I usually don't have any issues with oats, barley, and rye. I tend to stay away from foods with corn, brewers rice, soy, and wheat. I don't feed kibble anymore, but if I did it would be the Wilderness of the Blue brand (not a fan of Blue, but that's personal preferance).

Also, Husky's are considered a medium size breed so the large breed formula isn't necessary IMO. Large breed formulas are for Shepherds, Danes, Rotties, etc. Dogs that need to grow at an exceptionably slower rate.

If your pup is having continuous soft stools, i'd take a sample to your vet to have it checked for intestinal parasites. Not all dewormers get rid of all parasites. Best to have it checked just in case there is a specific medication(if any) that may be needed.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
norbreedslove
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2012-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 10:04 pm

I fed this to maggie, She got very sick. I don't really like it!
Back to top Go down
GalacticPup
Puppy
Puppy
GalacticPup

Female Join date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyThu Aug 30, 2012 11:38 pm

I fed this to my husky mix, Maya, and it gave her diarrhea as well. I think it's just too rich. After stool samples came back fine and she was clear of worms/ parasites, my vet suggested we put her on ID gastro for sensitive tummies. She was on that for a while and then we weaned her over to Wellness Core (grain free) for puppies. The wellness seems to be working great for her- solid, firm brown stool and she gobbles it up in seconds! I definitely recommend Wellness Core for puppies... just make sure you properly wean from one food to the next! Of course, like the others mentioned, I would definitely take your pup to your vet to rule out any intestinal parasites.

Anyway, what a beautiful puppy you have!!!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 4:00 am

I wouldn't feed this formula. It's not grain free and I really think huskies need a high protein diet. Switch to the Wilderness, its fantastic. Otherwise you could try Acana or Earthborn. Those are two fantastic kibbles as well.

No need to feed large breed, you have a husky! They are medium sized Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

Male Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 3:29 am

We made the switch to the blue buffalo wilderness from nature's recipe. I think the wilderness bag last us close to 3 weeks with Loki eating 2 cups 2x a day.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 3:46 am

How old is Loki?
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:31 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
How old is Loki?

He is 8 months old.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 3:03 pm

That'a a lot ofof food for 8 mos. In my opinion. I would cut it down to 2.5 -to 3 cups on wilderness.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 3:30 pm

We might try that.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Do you ever go to the dog park on Hines?
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 4:50 pm

Nope don't know where on Hines normally walk around our neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 4:57 pm

On hines between Ann Arbor Trail and Merriman. 15 bucks for the whole year.
Back to top Go down
Gunnersmatejmac
Teenager
Teenager
Gunnersmatejmac

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 6:09 pm

Gonna look into it.
Back to top Go down
TooManyHuskies
...is a fool

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 3:49 pm

Avoid big box foods like Blue Buffalo. Most are made by Dad's Pet Care in huge quantities. There is no way to maintain high quality. Earthborn foods with the exception of Primitive, which is too high in ash, are loaded with pea protein in a concentrated form. Nutrisource is the same way.

Use foods from smaller companies with experience in competition, Dr. Tim's, Annamaet and Red Paw are three of the best you can buy. These are what pro's use.

Also, when people say "you must use a grain free food" that is a hint they don't know much about dogs.

Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 4:27 pm

TooManyHuskies wrote:
Avoid big box foods like Blue Buffalo. Most are made by Dad's Pet Care in huge quantities. There is no way to maintain high quality. Earthborn foods with the exception of Primitive, which is too high in ash, are loaded with pea protein in a concentrated form. Nutrisource is the same way.

Use foods from smaller companies with experience in competition, Dr. Tim's, Annamaet and Red Paw are three of the best you can buy. These are what pro's use.

Also, when people say "you must use a grain free food" that is a hint they don't know much about dogs.

I don't believe that anyone said that you MUST use grain free dog food. I believe the general agreement on this foru mis that grain free food is better for your dog. I feed Blue Buffalo and I think it is a great food. And if you look on http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/5-star/ you will see that Blue Buffalo is among the five star foods as well as Dr. Tims, and Annameat. I personally think that Blue Buffalo is a good enough food to feed your huskies and I know others have the same view on here. Just my opinion!
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 5:06 pm

TooManyHuskies wrote:

Dr. Tim's website doesn't give the percent of ash in their food, so I cannot compare what I feed to Dr. Tim's. Annamaet has a grain free food and it looks like the ash content is 6.8% compared to what I feed which has 7% (the other food I feed which has no ash). Are you saying that .2% more ash is way too high?

Also, what about the pro's that do not feed any of the 3 foods *you claim* to be the best you can buy? I do have a friend in Alaska that does race - she does not feed any of the 3 foods *you claim to be the best that money can buy*.

Annamaet's grain free food seems to be decent, but what is the price point for a 15 lb bag? And what would you suggest if people live in areas where the *3 foods you claim to be the best you can buy* are not available to them?

Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 5:47 pm

TooManyHuskies wrote:

Damn you TooManyHitstotheHead, just when I start thinking you might be capable of acting civil you blow it out the window with your last six words.
Back to top Go down
TooManyHuskies
...is a fool

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 6:55 pm

cmanding wrote:
TooManyHuskies wrote:

Dr. Tim's website doesn't give the percent of ash in their food, so I cannot compare what I feed to Dr. Tim's. Annamaet has a grain free food and it looks like the ash content is 6.8% compared to what I feed which has 7% (the other food I feed which has no ash). Are you saying that .2% more ash is way too high?

Also, what about the pro's that do not feed any of the 3 foods *you claim* to be the best you can buy? I do have a friend in Alaska that does race - she does not feed any of the 3 foods *you claim to be the best that money can buy*.

Annamaet's grain free food seems to be decent, but what is the price point for a 15 lb bag? And what would you suggest if people live in areas where the *3 foods you claim to be the best you can buy* are not available to them?

The ash is on the website. Momentum and Pursuit which are 30% and 35% protein have 6.5% and 6%. You have to compare ash to protein but 7% is fine. I made the comment about Earthborn Primitive which is 12% and an unhealthy level. All foods have ash by the way, ash is mineral content.

Right now, Dr. Tim's is being fed to the top teams. You can buy it online. Petflow even sells the 44lb bags. The Dr. Tim's teams dominate long and short distances.

The best value food is Victor. I know Scott and he is a good man and makes a very good product, just not in the same class as the others. Precise is also a great product.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 7:16 pm

If grain free food is so bad, what would you suggest to those of us whose dogs violently expel liquid out of their rear ends any time they eat something grain inclusive?

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 7:21 pm

TooManyHuskies wrote:
cmanding wrote:
TooManyHuskies wrote:

The ash is on the website. Momentum and Pursuit which are 30% and 35% protein have 6.5% and 6%. You have to compare ash to protein but 7% is fine. I made the comment about Earthborn Primitive which is 12% and an unhealthy level. All foods have ash by the way, ash is mineral content.

Right now, Dr. Tim's is being fed to the top teams. You can buy it online. Petflow even sells the 44lb bags. The Dr. Tim's teams dominate long and short distances.

The best value food is Victor. I know Scott and he is a good man and makes a very good product, just not in the same class as the others. Precise is also a great product.
Rice and Barley will make one my dogs have bad diarreha so Precise and Dr. Tim's wouldn't be options for me nor for a lot of other poeple. I checked Victor and it looks ok as far as ingredients, but the closest store is in another state. Also, I need a single source protein food. Chicken in kibble form will make my dog sick. So now none of what *you recommend* are options.

So far, all options you present are not very convenient or will make my dog sick due to ingredients. I think I will stick to what I am feeding; I see no reason to change due to what *you claim* are not good in dog food - what I am currently feeding doesn't seem to have the issues *you claim* that are not good in dog food. My dogs are healthy, and thrive on what they are being fed. When I adopted them, they had some minor medical issues and now they perfectly healthy. So I must doing something right even if I am not feeding what *you highly recommend*.

Last edited by cmanding on Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 7:23 pm

A bit graphic Meredith, but necessary.

I stated that I wouldn't feed anything that isn't grain free. I take offense to you saying I don't know anything about dogs. My dogs eat raw... I know plenty about their diet necessities. Not to mention various reputable breeders do as well, including some very large and prominent kennels. Perhaps it is you that is mistaken
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 7:33 pm

mheath0429 wrote:

I stated that I wouldn't feed anything that isn't grain free. I take offense to you saying I don't know anything about dogs. My dogs eat raw... I know plenty about their diet necessities. Not to mention various reputable breeders do as well, including some very large and prominent kennels. Perhaps it is you that is mistaken
Taking personal offense to internet ramblings is just plain silly. Don't let him get a rise out of you. It's not worth it.

breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food Hailey10
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Koda wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:

Taking personal offense to internet ramblings is just plain silly. Don't let him get a rise out of you. It's not worth it.

Actually I think he has mellowed out a bit the past few post of his have been mostly coherent. When he does name food brands I will look them up but the only one I've found in my area so far has been Annamaet that is sold by of all people a first class Siberian Husky kennel less then 10 miles from me. I just prefer to buy local even if the seller obviously has it brought in from outside of town. My Huskies are like Claudia's that grains and any poultry just won't work for them w/o the Meredith syndrome. breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food 1625187496 (Oh Lordy did I just say that out loud.) I've had terrific results with the salmon based foods so I'll stick with them.

I'll take a peak at the http://www.annamaet.com/html/annamaet_grain_free_aqualuk_do.html . I do presently feed a brand made by Mid-America out of Texas. TooManyHitstotheHead actually is capable of making sense he just needs to stop tossing stones into the grinder all the time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food   breed - Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food Empty

Back to top Go down

Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next