It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dog Agressive Pit Bull?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

Female Join date : 2012-05-14

Dog Agressive Pit Bull? Empty
PostSubject: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:07 pm

My mom's adopted pittie has attacked two dogs on different days since she started taking him to the dog bark. So she wanted me to post and ask if anyone has any suggestions for her. It doesn't appear that there are any triggers as Jake gets along with other dogs.
Back to top Go down
MGoBlue
Senior
Senior
MGoBlue

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:16 pm

That's pretty vague. Do you have any more information about the two incidents?
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Can you be a bit more descriptive about what "attack" means?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:22 pm

I knew ya'll would say that LOL. The first time he was with my mom's friend and so we don't know exactly what happened. But blood was drawn. The second time was today and she told me that he didn't hurt the dog (an intact lab male) because the owner was able to break it up. What other details do you need? I can call her and ask specifics.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Some dogs just aren't cut out for the dog park. A dog with an unknown history that hasn't been with you guys for super long probably is not the best candidate for the park as a park is a mix of dogs that you and the dog doesn't know with unknown tendencies and temperaments is not the best mix. A trigger might not be obvious to you.

Every one knows I love me some Pit Bulls - but in this particular circumstance - regardless of what the "attack" was (unless it was just rough playing) I probably wouldn't be taking him to the park and only have structured play dates with dogs he is absolutely comfortable with.

Dog Agressive Pit Bull? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
LifeInSnowMotion
Teenager
Teenager
LifeInSnowMotion

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes she's already decided no more park outings. Is there anything else she can do.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 9:33 pm

In terms of...socializing? Structured play dates - there are dogs that he does get along with you said so you could have play dates with them. It could also be he's not fond of large groups or overly pushy dogs etc etc. If you do play dates keep them small one on one or with one or two other dogs.

If you're just looking for running room or something - you CAN go to the park at extremely off peak hours (early/late morning during the week or very close to dark when people are mostly leaving) if you're just looking to give him room to run. However it would have to be understood that if another dog shows up - even if it's 5 minutes after you've been there - YOU have to leave but that's only a route to take if the commitment is there to actually leave.

(all of the "you"s are general - relative to whomever is with the dog)

Dog Agressive Pit Bull? Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
MetalMama
Adult
Adult
MetalMama

Female Join date : 2012-02-23

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 10:00 pm

Is the pit the one she rescued who was a bait dog? If so maybe the dogs he attacked reminded him of the dogs that used to use him as bait?
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Personally I don't feel any Pit Bull "type" breed belongs in a dog park and taking them to the park only is continuing to load the gun. At one point (whether it's your dogs instigating or not) the dog is going to react negatively (even if it IS just "telling" the other dog to cut it's shit out) and people are going to freak scream and yell and if it's bad enough (such as an actual "fight") call animal control. With all of the Pit Bull BS going on... Myself as a dog owner would want to completely avoid such a situation from the beginning. By avoiding the parks completely. Like it or not- this country is on a witch hunt to ban this breed and any "negative press" or instances of "aggression" are going to be blown out of proportion and will only add to the hype.

You will not find many Pit Bull (pure or mixed) owners advocating use of the dog park for this very reason. You can't control other people or other dogs. Why take a chance at making the "Pit Bull situation" even worse?

I'm sure some are going to say the only way to win this "war" is showing how great of a breed they are yada yada yada... There are a MILLION other ways to do this other than subjecting your dog to the tolerance and mercy of every Joe Shmo who walks into the dog park.

Dog Agressive Pit Bull? 2144500265

In relation to this particular incident... If my dogs drew blood from another dog they would not go back to the dog park ever again. I would suggest structured play dates with dogs who are a good match for your moms dogs, but that being said there ARE dogs who just don't enjoy the company of other dogs. You can't force what isn't there.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
MelissaI
Senior
Senior
MelissaI

Female Join date : 2010-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 11:15 pm

arooroomom wrote:
I would suggest structured play dates with dogs who are a good match for your moms dogs, but that being said there ARE dogs who just don't enjoy the company of other dogs. You can't force what isn't there.

Yep.And I have one of those dogs. If I were your mom I just wouldn't take him back. It sucks to realize that your dog isn't a "dog" kinda dog. I was kind of sad when I came to that realization with Mya, BUT she gets to do another stuff too. Does well with submissive dogs at our house. I know which dogs can come over and which can't. Given, there are select ones that are "allowed" by Mya Razz
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptyFri Sep 07, 2012 11:52 pm

I came close to adopting a pit bull...this was before Willow. The big reason I backed out was the reactions from friends and family. I realized the prejudice I was going to have to face for the next 12-15 years. It's sad that is the case but I agree, you really have to be diligent with keeping the dog out of certain situations. My sister had a miniature Schnauzer that had bitten two people. She spent the next several years making sure that dog was never in a situation to do it again.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 9:02 am

As many of you know I have an anti bias to Pits of any kind due to previous run in with them. When someone brings a pitty to the dog park I leave. Biko, reads me like a book and would sense my negative reaction to the situation and probably would get all defensive about it. If he was attacked I wouldn't hesitate to kill to to save Biko, from the situation. This is one breed to me that is just living on the hair trigger all the time and in my opinion not to be trusted. Also for the record I DO NOT support breed bans I just wish people wouldn't breed pits.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 10:01 am

Is the pit rescue neutered, sometimes a Intact male will attack another intact male just out of trying to show dominance, this is how my husky was attacked(He is to young to be neutered yet and another intact mature male jumped him, it was a warning)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog Agressive Pit Bull?   Dog Agressive Pit Bull? Empty

Back to top Go down

Dog Agressive Pit Bull?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1