It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Dogs off leash at the park...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

Dogs off leash at the park... Empty
PostSubject: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 1:04 am

Last night hubby and I took CJ for a walk ( as we do every night). We walk to a park near by and saw three dogs on leashes but no one holding the leashes. A ways away were a bunch on teenage kids. Two of the dogs were English bulldogs one was a lab puppy. The three dogs rushed up to us and imedietly became AGGRESSIVE( Growling and barking). We told the kids to get their dogs fast and to hold on to the leashes. They instantly became rude and were saying its a park they don't need to be on leashes. This is not a dog park! The whole thing went wrong really fast with their dogs biting at mine and me. I had to grab two of them by the collar and my husband had to lift up CJ because they were ganging up on her and biting. She was yelping and crying. I got bit on the back of my arm by one of the bulldogs and got scratched all over trying to get their dogs away. I'm so mad! CJ is fine and didn't get hurt. Thank God. I wanted to call animal control but don't even know who these people are. What do you do in situations like these?
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 1:13 am

I carry mace for situations like this. I tell people with off leash dogs I carry and they always put their dog back on leash. Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet. Glad that you guys are all okay!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 5:50 am

I'd like to say mace the owners also but I won't.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 11:04 am

When the kids got rude I would have went for the leashes of the other dogs, not the collars. Get CJ away and call the cops/ animal control while holding the attacking dogs and wait for the cops to come, teach the kids a lesson. I have had to also kick dogs away in the past, better then getting your hand in there. You can still call it in but unless they can find the dogs its no use. Sorry this has happened, I have had to deal with it a lot in our area Sad

Last edited by jbealer on Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 11:22 am

I actually deal with this a lot. There's a min pin that's always outside his house, off leash and usually unsupervised that comes after my dogs every time we go for a walk. I've contemplated calling it in but my dogs aren't licensed so I'm not sure if that would end up getting me in trouble as well. It really is a hazard for those dogs to be off leash in an open park without it being specifically a dog park. If you know where the kids live or can approximate, I see no reason why you shouldn't call it in. Even just describing the dogs could alert the police to watch for them. If only it were as easy as writing down a license plate number.
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 12:01 pm

I would have flipped shit on those kids and kicked their dog's right in front of them. Rude little punk's need to get control of their dog's and you for sure should have called the cops to teach them a lesson like Jennifer said!
Back to top Go down
SaberK
Adult
Adult
SaberK

Female Join date : 2012-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 1:58 pm

I had an experience last summer with a 12 or 13 year old girl and her younger brother. She had the dog off the leash and it of course came over by me while I was walking Saber. Saber will go after any loose dog that comes up to us no matter the size. So, she comes running after the dog and I'm pissed so I kind of yell when I ask her what she was thinking letting the dog off leash. Well, she just started calling me a bitch and a whore. Then, she starts running away with her brother and the dog. I called 911 and ran after her for two blocks until the cops got there. She ended up having to go to court and her parents had to pay $200 in fines.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 2:33 pm

I made the experience that many kids act more grown up like many adults do.
Anubis got attacked alot of times in his life yet. Luckily there wer eno bad injuries yet.
The loast time he got attacked by a small dog, so I just said to the owner: If i were you I would get my dog because if my dog starts defending himself, it will be your dog that could be dead afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Danzig's Mommy
Senior
Senior
Danzig's Mommy

Female Join date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 2:54 pm

We've had this problem with dogs at actual dog parks. There have been two separate times someone has brought in overly agressive dog to the park and both my dogs got in a fight with them. My hubby had to kick the other dogs off. Luckily I haven't had a problem with this on leashed areas.
Back to top Go down
Dragula64
Teenager
Teenager
Dragula64

Female Join date : 2012-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Thanks for all the great advice guys! Mace sounds promising but I'm not sure it's legal in my area I'll check into it. I did grab one of the leashes on the other dogs but it fell off in my hand. They were not even secure leashes. People are such jerks ( kids especially these days). The fine in our area for off leash or out of control animals is 1000 each so if I see them again I'm calling on them and kicking their dogs if they get aggressive. I was so shocked they were so aggressive. I've never seen such mean bulldogs before.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:37 pm

SiberianAnubis wrote:
If i were you I would get my dog because if my dog starts defending himself, it will be your dog that could be dead afterwards.

I also no longer pull back if were charged. I love the ignorant reactions when the other people call my dogs bullies for defending themselves. Easy way to prevent the trouble in the 1st place was to control their own dog.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 9:52 am

Chevelle, Iv been in that same situation, one Thunder was 4 months old I was walking him in a park(There is a playground for children too keep in mind) and these 4 people had two pitbulls(Now if you know me I am a HUGE Pitt Bull advocate and love the breed) but I am also smart and noticed the male was unaltered and the female looked to have just finished weaning a litter. I told the man please do not let go of the leash, I have an unaltered male puppy(He is being neutered today) and your male will fight him for the female, Well the owner thought I was talking out my butt and as we walked by released his leash saying how he is friendly and wanted to play, he jumped on Thunders back and bite his neck, thank God it was a warning bite because my dog would have been dead, I told the owner, For future notice, if someone asks you not to let go of the leash do not do so because if my dog would have been hurt or killed, yours would have to be put to sleep and all he was doing was protecting his bitch...UGHH I hate how some people know nothing about dogs...
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 9:57 am

Also, any dog can be aggressive, those dogs where prob only socialized with each other and formed and over aggressive pack mentality =-( you can't even blame the dogs its the idiot owners who don't do research before getting these poor babies.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 8:13 pm

With the attitude of so many people now days the last thing I would request them to do is NOT let go of the leash. It all come down to the "don't tell me what to do, stranger." Especially a-holes with pits.
Back to top Go down
MrsCody09
Newborn
Newborn
MrsCody09

Female Join date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: stun gun!   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 8:28 pm

hypers987 wrote:
I carry mace for situations like this. I tell people with off leash dogs I carry and they always put their dog back on leash. Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet. Glad that you guys are all okay!

I carry a stun gun & mace as well for situations like these and haven't had to use either of them. Have had to punt a few dogs with my foot though that came rushing up on mine aggressively! Scary situation!
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
With the attitude of so many people now days the last thing I would request them to do is NOT let go of the leash. It all come down to the "don't tell me what to do, stranger." Especially a-holes with pits.

Agreed. I learned a long time ago not to try to reason with someone who doesn't have the capacity to reason. If you ignore, don't look them in the eyes, and keep going on your merry way, they usually leave you alone. But if their dogs or their owners don't, I have my back-up plan. Dogs off leash at the park... 2144500265
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dogs off leash at the park...   Dogs off leash at the park... Empty

Back to top Go down

Dogs off leash at the park...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1