It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MrsCody09
Newborn
Newborn
MrsCody09

Female Join date : 2012-09-25

growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) Empty
PostSubject: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 5:32 pm

Adopted my siberian husky, Kodi, around January of this year and he's a wonderful addition to our little family. I didn't get any of the paperwork on him because the previous owners were unavailable (going through a divorce) and they had other family keeping an eye on him. Keeping an eye on him to them means storing him in a 8x8 chain link fenced, concreted kennel. I took him to the vet for a first check up, they said everything looks as it should. I got him neutered shortly after to help with his escape habits. Felt it was the better decision for him since I had no intentions of breeding him. He's calmed down dramatically. However within the past month or so he's developed a strange "growth" as the vet called it in the corner of his eye. It started out like a small little ball the same color as his eye lid, black and almost within a week turned pink and doubled in size. It doesn't seem to be getting any bigger this week and may actually be shrinking with the use of eye drops 2x's a day & cleaning it as necessary. (I catch my other dog licking the area occasionally) Still debating whether we should see what happens or just go in and have it cut off with sedation etc etc.. The vet quoted us about 215$ to have this "growth" removed. If it was anywhere else, I wouldn't worry about it because they were almost certain it is benign but it's right near his beautiful eyes.. Then about 4-5 days ago he developed which could possibly be a "hot spot" on his snout.. I have never dealt with a hot spot before, found some home remedies in treating this online involving- Listerine (amber colored), iodine, & medicated gold bond...

Just curious if anyone has encountered either of these issues with their husky or other type of dog and what seemed to work best. Thanks! Smile

He gets shy around the camera so I have to hold his face sometimes making it look funny Smile
growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) Image_1348542346071388
growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) Image_1348542282792317

Any advice/info would be helpful. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 5:43 pm

The "growth" doesn't look like a growth, it looks like a "cherry eye", where the tear gland pops out (seen in bulldogs a lot). I wouldn't want to remove it as it can cause a dry eye syndrome later on in life. I'd have another vet look at it IMHO. There is a procedure for tucking the gland back where it belongs, but if your Dr is calling it a growth, I'd be thinking the he wants to just remove it and call it good. Not exactly best for the dog.

Can't really tell what that is on his muzzle, but I'd have it looked at by a vet, just to make sure it isn't anything serious. Hope some of this helped.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 5:50 pm

Possible Cherry Eye?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_eye

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/eyes/c_multi_prolapsed_gland#.UGIY4bJlSSo
Back to top Go down
MrsCody09
Newborn
Newborn
MrsCody09

PostSubject: RE: Cherry Eye   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Here4thePics wrote:
Possible Cherry Eye?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_eye

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/eyes/c_multi_prolapsed_gland#.UGIY4bJlSSo

It started out black on his eye lid, if I open his eye, it is in fact connected to his eye lid not the inside of his eye, but I will do some more research to check that out! Thanks for the suggestion.
Back to top Go down
MrsCody09
Newborn
Newborn
MrsCody09

PostSubject: Re: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 5:56 pm

hypers987 wrote:
The "growth" doesn't look like a growth, it looks like a "cherry eye", where the tear gland pops out (seen in bulldogs a lot). I wouldn't want to remove it as it can cause a dry eye syndrome later on in life. I'd have another vet look at it IMHO. There is a procedure for tucking the gland back where it belongs, but if your Dr is calling it a growth, I'd be thinking the he wants to just remove it and call it good. Not exactly best for the dog.

Can't really tell what that is on his muzzle, but I'd have it looked at by a vet, just to make sure it isn't anything serious. Hope some of this helped.

Thanks, the vet already charged us for a first visit and making a habit of going to the vet monthly isn't something we can afford, but I will try to get a more clear picture of his snout tonight and see if that helps. Some have said it looks just like a scratch from trying to dig under something and digging is in fact his specialty around the yard. Thanks for the suggestion about the cherry eye as well. I will look into that more! Smile
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 6:13 pm

I don't think that is a hot spot. My greyhounds would do that when kenneled and usually it is done by continuously licking the same spot. It got so bad the last time they were kenneled she had licked a 50 cent size piece hole in her backside. Last time she was kenneled. Looks more like a scrape to me. The eye could be cherry eye, does resemble it.
Back to top Go down
MrsCody09
Newborn
Newborn
MrsCody09

PostSubject: RE: scrape on nose   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 6:21 pm

Balonsmom wrote:
I don't think that is a hot spot. My greyhounds would do that when kenneled and usually it is done by continuously licking the same spot. It got so bad the last time they were kenneled she had licked a 50 cent size piece hole in her backside. Last time she was kenneled. Looks more like a scrape to me. The eye could be cherry eye, does resemble it.

I think it looks like a scrape as well, but it isn't in an area he can't necessarily lick (top of his nose) but scratch, yea I guess. Smile It is a little bit raised and I've made sure to keep it clean and apply ointment 2x's a day. I can see now how the eye thing looks like a cherry eye, I will get a much better picture than this one. It sticks out away from his eye attached to his lid.

I forgot to mention, I've had 2 different doctors examine it! Smile Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 9:06 am

Is it possible that the affected area on his nose could be ZRD? It just doesn't look like any hot spot I've ever seen. Good luck with the eye issue, I have no idea on that one.

Newborn
Newborn
MrsCody09

PostSubject: ZRD   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
Is it possible that the affected area on his nose could be ZRD? It just doesn't look like any hot spot I've ever seen. Good luck with the eye issue, I have no idea on that one.

I've never even heard of this! Thank you for the suggestion!!
Back to top Go down
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 2:09 pm

MrsCody09 wrote:
Huskyluv wrote:

I've never even heard of this! Thank you for the suggestion!!

My boy has ZRD and that doesn't look like a typical spot he gets but it's possible. Looks more like an abrasion, or possibly irritated from and allergy / reaction to something.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
Lordbroll
Senior
Senior
Lordbroll

Male Join date : 2010-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 2:10 pm

and they eye looks like a tear duct issue but hard to say.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/HeartlandHuskies
MrsCody09
Newborn
Newborn
MrsCody09

PostSubject: Re: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyWed Sep 26, 2012 3:52 pm

Lordbroll wrote:
and they eye looks like a tear duct issue but hard to say.

Yes I agree based on this picture it does. In real life it doesn't, I still need to get a better photo! Thank you!
Back to top Go down
MrsCody09
Newborn
Newborn
MrsCody09

PostSubject: Re: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 5:38 pm

When I got my Nikon charged up to get a better more clear picture of the "growth" on his eye lid I noticed it shrank a bit and wasn't quite as large as it was when I posted this poor quality picture. So I kept putting my saline solution eye drops on the eye twice daily and it keeps getting smaller and smaller. Suspect So I put neosporin twice a day on the alleged "hot spot" and it seems to be getting better as well. It looks like it's just irritated skin now with a small cut. I'm assuming he scratched at it quite a bit. The little "growth" on his eyelid is a red color now though not light pink anymore. If it's still the same tonight I will get a picture. Very bizarre. I would be thrilled if it just goes away all together. Save me 300$+ in vet bills. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MrsCody09
Newborn
Newborn
MrsCody09

PostSubject: Re: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 1:20 pm

growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) 39EE4A07-9943-48A5-9D6D-F9AB1981D777-825-000000A8CC7E6260

growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) D7AB476A-9853-4EA9-A836-79325D3714A5-825-000000A8C5F060E9

crappy quality pics from my iPhone but you can still tell Smile Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)   growth - Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky) Empty

Back to top Go down

Possible "hot spot" on snout & strange growth near eye (adopted 3yr husky)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1