It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

first heat

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tashauna
Newborn
Newborn
tashauna

Female Join date : 2012-09-27

first heat Empty
PostSubject: first heat   first heat EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 12:15 pm

I was wondering when do females pup have there first heat? i know every pup is different and so is the breed. I was wondering when to expect it and how long does it normaly last? plus on what to expect because nikita is our first pup. I had dogs growing up rotties, and we raised them from brith and untill they departed. so i have been around heats. but as a adult with my own place for 6 years this is our first pup added to our family. please let me know as she is coming on 7 months old in a few days.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 12:41 pm

Why is she not spayed? Unless you plan on breeding its really not healthy for male or females to go unaltered.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 12:45 pm

i have no idea, but my guess would be soon..... i would just have her spayed and then you don't have to worry about it.

Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 12:47 pm

I think it ranges from 5months to a year. If you do plan on spaying her, if you can get it done before her first heat there will be 0% chance of her ever getting mammory tumors. After the first heat the % goes up and after 3 heats I think it's the same chance as if you left her intact.

first heat Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 1:47 pm

I would get her spayed. We just removed 5 mammary glands that were cancerous a week ago from a beagle and she had gone through only 2 heat cycles before being spayed. She's only 5. The owners told us that they wanted her to feel like a woman before spaying her... first heat 1625187496 IMO there's no reason for a female dog to go through a heat cycle. It's different for large and giant breeds, but Huskies do not fall in that category.

As for signs, like Sara said, they start within 5 months to a year, and they can last up to 4 weeks. First sign is bleeding or discharge which is the Proestrus stage. Estrus is when she is accepting mates, she will appear very swollen. Diestrus is the period after mating(pregnancy). And Anestrus is the sexual inactivity phase.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
ShawnaAD
Teenager
Teenager
ShawnaAD

Female Join date : 2012-03-30

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 3:04 pm

A few months after we rescued snow she went into heat and it was a disaster! She is strictly an inside dog and with her being medium sized she bled everywhere. It lasted almost three full weeks. Poor girl was confined to her crate for most of that time because there was a significant amount of blood all over the house, furniture, her white dog bed, toys and not to mention all over her pretty white coat. She also acted like a total spaz around my other dogs and was quite bitchy until her cycle ended.
Unless you plan on breeding Nikita (which I wouldn't exactly recommend) I would suggest trying to get her in to get spayed before she goes into her first cycle. I'd say you have anywhere between now and 2 months before she should start showing signs of her first heat.
Back to top Go down
tashauna
Newborn
Newborn
tashauna

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 3:22 pm

I am not planning on breeding her. i wanted to know when it would be expected and in hopes of her not going into heat before she is due into the vet. she is booked in for nov. and is hoping it would hold off. this is y i wanted to know the signs of a heat.
Back to top Go down
harrise
The Gentleman

Male Join date : 2009-06-16

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 3:33 pm

No worries. Gotta get the Bob Barker thing out of the way every time.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 3:38 pm

tashauna wrote:
I am not planning on breeding her. i wanted to know when it would be expected and in hopes of her not going into heat before she is due into the vet. she is booked in for nov. and is hoping it would hold off. this is y i wanted to know the signs of a heat.
im sorry about all the post about spaying, but if you would have stated this in your first post it would have been useful to everyone and they might have not gotten all bob barker on you, including me..... is there a way to push up her appointment? like others have mentioned it is best to get her in before her first heat and she is getting close to that age of her starting. like any women's first, you just never know when its gonna show up......and when it does all hell breaks lose Wink

Newborn
Newborn
tashauna

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 5:29 pm

yes i should have stated the fact i was not breeding and planning to spay her. and i did not take offence to anything anyone said. i do highly believe in fixing her i will call the vet and ask if someone cancells or they have an earlier appointment to let me know asap.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptyFri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 pm

I would probably bump it up. Elara went into heat really early just after turning 5 months. I think Siku didn't have hers until 9 months, but I could be remembering wrong. I do wish I had spayed Siku earlier and not rushed into it because of a pyometra scare. :/

first heat Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 3:48 am

Yeah I would try to push it up, we got Zoey spayed right after she turned 5 months, pushed it ahead over a month because she was showing all the signs of going into heat.
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 4:39 am

Kota just went into heat, an 2 weeks before her er appointment to get spayed. I wis we had made it sooner but our vet was booked. Sad It has not been bad yet, I'm not exactly sure where she is in her heat cycle but she has been bleeding a small amount. We just put old sheets and blankets on our bed and couch to protect our furniture but its not really been heavy enough to make a difference. My worry is letting her outside to play unsupervised because of other dogs in the area.

Kota was born approx. Feb 5th of this year so she is right at almost 8 months. I would recommend trying to have the date pushed up so your not in my situation.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 9:10 am

<--- Also sorry about the "why is she not spayed" question, So use to people asking this question because they are planning on breeding there dogs, A dog in heat is quit dirty(As in as Shawna stated there is blood everywhere and it smells kinda fishy). About 10 years ago I had a German Shepard, at the time I was 16 and did not really know the importance of spaying, well anyway she went through ONE HEAT CYCLE, and only one, there was blood all over the place, we use to but briefs on her with paper towel in them(Home made doggy pads) and she still bled every where. Its not fun to see them go through it either, they get all restless and sex is the only thing on there mind, also any male dogs in your area will find there way to your door step lol.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 2:48 pm

My vet got Callie in by 5 months so there was no chance of her going into heat. He didn't think she would prior to 7 months of age but I didn't want to take any chances. I'm not a happy camper with little blood droplets everywhere.

If she still has baby teeth or has some grown up teeth coming in, she won't go into her first heat cycle yet. That's really the only rule of thumb I know to tell if your dog is "ready" for puberty.

Callie's 5 months now and is still losing teeth so if that helps you figure it out at all. I can't believe how long it took your vet to get her in. My vet had Callie scheduled for her spay a week from her last vaccination.
Back to top Go down
tashauna
Newborn
Newborn
tashauna

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 9:10 pm

I am not sure. our vet will not spay any pup untill 6 months of age. they chip them and use iv and put them under. we chose our vet ( a little pricy) because of the quility of work and personal interaction. nikita is not just another animal to them. the other vet that is in my small town is really cheap. but i guess you get what you pay for. they are mean and uncaring. bad condition as well. she should be able to book in sooner but they are packed. the vet i deal with is a called port hope vet hospaital also they are the ones who are link with our local shelters. and take one emargancy calls. it is vary busy this time of year. I hope she can get in sooner. she also has lost most of her baby teet i think they might be 2 or 3 left to fall out.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptySat Sep 29, 2012 10:18 pm

I know females are different, We just had our boy spayed(ok ok he is my dads dog but I love him) and he is a little under 5 1/2 months, he started marking and getting dominant(Humping anything that walked) so it had to be done. I heard if done before they turn 1 that it will take away there dominance urges(same with females) but I am not sure how true that is, My vet wanted to wait until 6 months with him but after examining him and seeing he was "Fully Mature" in that aspect they did the neuter.
Back to top Go down
ateam043
Teenager
Teenager
ateam043

Male Join date : 2013-03-06

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 2:01 am

Yikes! This topic was very informative for me.

When I initially signed up for my Banfield Puppy plan I opted out of the more expensive plan that includes the spay option.

Thought about saving money and holding it off until next year as I am assisting my parents on their mortgage while keeping up with my own, so money is extremely tight after all expenses (doggie stuff included).

Looks like I will need to ask on my next appt (April 2nd) to see how much it will run me now since i didnt choose it under the plan.

Meeka is with me at all times, but the risk seem too great as she is a 50/50 dog (inside/outside). Hopefully the price is not too much. I give her the option of sleeping inside or outside. Have a command for sleepy time "Home".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

first heat Empty
PostSubject: Re: first heat   first heat Empty

Back to top Go down

first heat

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1