It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

Female Join date : 2012-03-28

Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) Empty
PostSubject: Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)   Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Went on a two-day backpacking trip with a friend and Phantom this weekend in the Shenandoah National Park near Front Royal, VA. The weather was PERFECT, sunny and low 70s/high 60s both days. We only did about 9 miles each day, but had a lot of fun. Only deer and little critter sightings, no bears.

Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) Img_0912
About 3 miles in, a waterfall and showing off the beginning of fall colors.

Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) Img_0917
Me and Phanny with our packs on.

Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) Img_0914
Phantom leading the way!

Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) Img_0915
A tired pup! With the three of us in a tiny backpacking tent we stayed pretty warm until about 4am. Then even Phantom was shivering, so I zipped her into my sleeping bag at my head. It was a tight, but toasty, fit for the last two hours of sleep. Kind of wish I got a picture of that!

Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) Img_0916
Shenadoah valley. Where I grew up!
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)   Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 6:05 pm

backpacking is one thing i wounder if i could pull off with S&J.... good thing you saw no bears!
glad you had a good trip, nice pics

Senior
Senior
Demon&Dakota

Female Join date : 2011-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)   Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 6:54 pm

jbealer wrote:
backpacking is one thing i wounder if i could pull off with S&J.... good thing you saw no bears!

Me too...that would be so much fun! Smile

Great shots, glad you had a good time (and no bear sitings). Very Happy
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)   Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 7:57 pm

Great pictures! I love Shenandoah in the fall, and would be very interested in meeting up with you guys to do some backpacking after we move up there. Maybe sometime in the spring Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)   Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 9:06 pm

That looks like so much fun! What leash are you using in that pic?
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

PostSubject: Re: Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)   Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 9:28 pm

26nikita wrote:

I have the Roamer leash by Ruffwear. It is AWESOME for hiking. The handle is adjustable so it can go around your waist if you want and the main leash is stretchy which is great to keep you from falling if the dog tugs suddenly. I got it because Phantom tries to yank me down steep hills. I think a lot of people use it for things like bikejoring and such.
Back to top Go down
NadirCs
Teenager
Teenager
NadirCs

PostSubject: Re: Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)   Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 9:37 pm

jbealer wrote:

I haven't found that it adds any additional trouble backpacking with dogs. She carries her dog food and some back up water (mostly drinking from streams) and that's about all the extra gear. Oh, and burying her poop isn't fun :-/ She just snuggles with me for sleeping, although since it got so cold I might look into some type of bed situation for her. With 2 dogs I think the biggest extra weight is you MIGHT need a bigger tent. Phantom is so exhausted after a day of hiking she's wore out and no trouble during the camping part of the trip. My biggest concern is running into a bear as I have no idea how she'd react and how that reaction would affect a bear.

blueeyedghost wrote:
Great pictures! I love Shenandoah in the fall, and would be very interested in meeting up with you guys to do some backpacking after we move up there. Maybe sometime in the spring Smile

Definitely!!!! I actually live in north central WV but I'm being relocated back to Northern Virginia in November.
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)   Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 9:44 pm

Tis the time for moving, huh? My aunt and uncle have a cabin out by Canaan Valley, and I've been snowboarding out there a few times. I'm stoked to be moving back to the area, I figured out I really have missed living in Maryland. We'll be there the week before Christmas Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)   Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) EmptyMon Oct 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Hmm... Another leash on my wish list now!

I've heard that bears are afraid of dogs but I wouldn't want to test that theory.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)   Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 am

NadirCs wrote:
26nikita wrote:

I have the Roamer leash by Ruffwear. It is AWESOME for hiking. The handle is adjustable so it can go around your waist if you want and the main leash is stretchy which is great to keep you from falling if the dog tugs suddenly. I got it because Phantom tries to yank me down steep hills. I think a lot of people use it for things like bikejoring and such.

I have that leash and I use it alot when walking both of them I also used it when we were visiting family that did not have a fence yard so one of them could have a tie out.

I love your pictures they are great looks like alot of fun..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)   Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area) Empty

Back to top Go down

Backpacking With Dogs: Shenandoah National Forest (Mathew's Arm Area)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1