It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Demodectic Mange???????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

Female Join date : 2010-01-13

Demodectic Mange??????? Empty
PostSubject: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 4:36 pm

Has anyone ever experienced Demodectic Mange? Rodney has a red sore on his face and it sounds like he may have localized demodectic mange... I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced this and what they went through or what they did...

Seems to be brought on by stress and Rodney is new to our house and we did change his food so I am thinking maybe that's why he has it.

He has an appt with the vet next week and he can check it out.
Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

Female Join date : 2010-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 6:56 pm

Demodectic mange is found on the skin in small numbers in healthy animals. It can get out of control from stress, or a weakened immune system. Family susceptibility can be a predisposing factor as well. Depending on how it looks your veterinarian may recommend a skin scraping. If demodectic mites are found there are a few different treatment options. Typically localized demodex is easier to treat than generalized demodex. There are a few breeds that are predisposed to his condition but the husky is not one, this doesn't mean that it is not possible. Is the area losing hair? Demodex does not have to be itchy either, but is your dog itchy? And do you see the lesions anywhere else on the body?
Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 7:05 pm

No he just has a bump on the side of his face, then it started to red like bloody and got a little larger now it is a blackish color. It looks like a large zit! ha. It almost looks like a strawberry or something...

I have noticed since we got him his eyes have been red and red around the eye like his eye lids. I was thinking it may be allergies to something. He doesn't seem to be scratching at it or loosing any hair there or anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 7:26 pm

That doesn't sound too much like mange... Maybe it is an infected hair follicle... But it's a good idea to get him checked out just because and the eyes may not be related to the bump at all.
Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 7:32 pm

oh we are he is going in next week for his one year check up and we will have him look at it...
I am not sure if the redness around the eyes is normal b/c his fur is red or what. Maybe thats just how is color is.. He came with an ear infection to so I wasn't sure if they get those from allergies.
Thanks for your help!
Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 7:46 pm

Yep:) ear infections can be associated with allergies, what food are you feeding? Sometimes
even if it is the best food on the earth (if that's possible) your dog could have an allergy to it. But other things that can cause eye irritation can be environmental, like cigarrette smoke. Sometimes your heating system can contain irritants too.
Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 7:49 pm

well we just got him in the middle of Jan. Not sure what he was eating before think it might have been purina one seafood or something.. We use Eukanuba but have been discussing going for a premium food once this runs out.
Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Here is a picture of it. It has grown since I saw him this morning so it is growing pretty fast. Started as a little bump under the fur then it just started getting bigger and redder.

Demodectic Mange??????? Sore10
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 9:30 pm

Last edited by Here4thePics on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AraiNI
Newborn
Newborn

Female Join date : 2010-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 12:29 am

Ami had demodex. I would get him in asap...it takes 6 months to a year to heal, all depending on how early you start the treatment...and how fast it spreads. It's not considered healed until a skin scrape comes back with NO live or dead mites.

Ami had to go in every other week for a skin scrape, and hers was in a similar location and about the same size...they probably won't give you any cream in case they lick it...so it will take longer.

What he has looks more bloody than what Ami had. I wouldn't wait a week, I would take him. See if you can move the appointment.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northerninuitusa.webs.com
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 12:40 am

Steroids are used as an anti-inflammatory and are used successfully many times in many cases, I think that every single case needs to be viewed subjectively and steroids may not be the most effective or safe option every time depending on pre-existing health conditions or other factors."here4thepics": I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with your vetrinarian and all I can do is apologize in place of your veterinarian and request that you still trust your vet as your healthcare advocate ... Christine: if steroid therapy is recommended I wouldn't outright decline it. Be wary, you have the right to be, and ask that your vet explain the risks and benefits of each treatment option so you can make an educated decision. I do know for a fact though that steroids would make a mite infection worse so if that is what your veterinarian suspects or finds than they would not be a good idea. I personally don't think that looks like mange (thanks for posting the pics) and I've seen a lot of mange, but I am still learning:)
Back to top Go down
AraiNI
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 9:24 am

britandsteven wrote:
I personally don't think that looks like mange (thanks for posting the pics) and I've seen a lot of mange, but I am still learning:)

The outside of it looks like it could be, but the raw red area is not something the mites would do...it would only look like that if he was scratching it or rubbing it on the floor....I stand by that you should get it checked out sooner than next week.

We didn't get steroids for Ami...she was on a medication that I can't remember the name of. twice a day for about 5 1/2 months. vet visit every 2 weeks...it got expensive, and her little circle of mites was probably only 3/4 an inch around on her upper lip.
Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 12:55 pm

Ok I have noticed another one is forming above his eye.. He has an appt Monday at 10 and I called yesterday to try to get him in today but he said they didn't have any opening. He really hasn't been scratching at it that I have seen but he is alone in his crate during day and may get bored and think about it more. I hope it doesn't get too expensive b/c we are stilling paying of Jaxs vet bills from his surgery. :-(

Araini~ I have read that these heal on there own and no treatment is necessary, so if thats the case why did they have to do the skin test every two weeks? It seems that would make it take longer to heal...
Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Some cases can heal on their own, but there are other types of mites like sarcoptic mites that always need to be treated. Demodex is usually treated when it is found though, unless it is a very mild case. Sarcoptic mange is always treated because it can spread to other animals and people( scabies).
Back to top Go down
AraiNI
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 7:33 pm

They don't heal up on their own when they get that big...dogs always have a small amount of mites on them, they usually live in harmony, but when the scale tips and the mites get a leg up, its really hard to get them to go away.

With a location like you have, it will take longer to heal because they can't put anything on the mites themselves.

Ami had a scrape every other week to see if the results came back negative so we could take her off the medication. And even after they were gone, it took a while for the fur to grow back. The longer the mites have to take over, the longer it will take for the healing to begin.
Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Ok thanks for all your input... He goes Monday at 10 and I will let you all know what it was :-(.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyFri Feb 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Good luck Rodney!

Demodectic Mange??????? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
jaxypooh
Teenager
Teenager
jaxypooh

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 2:27 pm

Ok so Rodney just got back. Vet said it is not any kind of mange and not to sure what it is. Thinks it looks more fungal than anything. Siad it could be allergies also b/c he had an ear infection when we first got him and not he has some crustiness around his eye.
Gave us some cream to put on twice a day and told us to put neo around his eyes for the dryness. We are also to give him benedryl at night! ha....
Everything else looked great and he got all his shots! :-)
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 2:51 pm

Well I'm glad it's not mange! Looks like BritandSteven was right Smile

I hope it gets better soon! It's lovely to see how wonderfully you are taking care of him Very Happy

Demodectic Mange??????? Hailey10
Back to top Go down
firefighterchik04
Teenager
Teenager
firefighterchik04

Female Join date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 3:26 pm

im glad its not the mange! that would have been horrible! glad he will live :-)
Back to top Go down
britandsteven
Puppy
Puppy
britandsteven

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 4:22 pm

I'm glad it wasn't mange that stuff is never fun. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Demodectic Mange???????   Demodectic Mange??????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Demodectic Mange???????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1