It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Puppy coat question.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rachm408
Newborn
Newborn
rachm408

Female Join date : 2012-09-13

Puppy coat question. Empty
PostSubject: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 7:35 pm

Hello.
Just a few weeks ago we brought home the newest addition to our family, Ilya. We couldn't be happier with her. As we are new to owning a huskies, I had a couple questions about her appearance. We bought her from a local breeder who claims that she is pure bred ( although we didn't receive any paperwork, ect...). I'm not overly concerned about the validity of this to the point where I would want a DNA test. I've looked at hundreds of pictures of huskies and husky mixes and have yet to find one that looks exactly like Ilya.
Her markings are very husky, as are her mannerisms and size. Her ears are a little larger than most pictures of huskies I've seen and are just about all the way up at 12 weeks. I understand this is not uncommon. What I find the most baffling about her appearance is her coat. Although it has lengthened significantly over the past few weeks, particularly on her back, belly and neck, she still seems a lot more sleek and less fluffy than most huskies. Her tail seems to be developing a little more bushiness, but still skinny compared to most.
I guess my question would be has anyone seen/had a husky who started out looking like our Ilya and later developed into a more traditional looking husky? Do you think she will be fluffier? At what age do huskies develop their undercoat? Her fur seems long it just lays very flat against her body. Also, do you think her ears will remain in the same proportion to her body/head or do you think she will grow into them?

Thanks so much in advance! Smile

Rachel

Photobucket album of Ilya.. including a trick video. Smile

http://s1096.beta.photobucket.com/user/rachm408/library/Ilya

Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:13 pm

Welcome to the forum! She is very cute! I actually had a lot of the same questions when I first got my puppy Lycus. From the pictures I saw, she looks husky to me. As far as the fur goes, there are different lengths of husky fur. There are shorter haired ones as well as woolies which are really fluffy. My Lycus is also a shorter haired husky. He is fairly sleek except for his neck which is pretty fluffy and his tail is also skinnier than most. He is also just husky. She will get fluffier over time as she gets older. Lycus was really slick when I first got him and his fur grew out but definitely not as much as a traditional husky. As far as her ears, she's in the awkward look right now lol. She should grow into them like most dogs do. Although, I cannot fully say that she is a purebred husky, only a DNA test can give you the correct results. Good luck with your first husky! And we are excited to see her grow on this forum! Smile
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Well we when we got Balon his tail was very skinny lol, now its a bush!
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

Female Join date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:40 pm

the only reason I would think ur puppy is mixed is the floppy ears, Husky ears point straight up. If he is 12 weeks or older they should have stood up already.
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:42 pm

Also Kristina's Mickey looks like you little girl, color wise. here is his scrap book
https://www.itsahuskything.com/t497-mickey-my-oldest-12-14?highlight=Mickey
Back to top Go down
Rocio_Caballero
Senior
Senior
Rocio_Caballero

Male Join date : 2012-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 10:36 pm

Very true Ashley, about the floppy ears! Lycus' were already perked up at 6 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 4:02 am

Yeah the ears are kind of funny, I don't think you'll be able to tell for a few more weeks if she's full husky or not. They all look the same as puppies haha.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 5:15 pm

Ashleymarie9807 wrote:
the only reason I would think ur puppy is mixed is the floppy ears, Husky ears point straight up. If he is 12 weeks or older they should have stood up already.

This is not necessarily true. My well bred male had issues with his ears until 16 weeks - now they are nice and perky.

Your pup looks to be a shepherd/husky mix. Did you see both parents? I would say mostly husky, but with the coat length, thinness of body, and large ears there is probably some shepherd in there.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
rachm408
Newborn
Newborn
rachm408

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Thank you for all the responses. Her ears have come up a lot since we took the picture to the left. Ill attach a picture of her I took earlier this week. I'm not worried that they won't come up, I just think they're a lot bigger than most husky pups and was wondering if they just grew faster and she'll grow into them. I know there's no way of really knowing. I just thought someone might have had a similar experience.

mheath0429, I only ever saw the mother since the breeder didn't own the father. We thought the same thing about the possibility of some shepherd in her. I guess time will tell.

Also, today Ilya played in the mud and while bathing her I noticed her fur was significantly thicker than the last time. I can definitely see where undercoat has developed in some areas.
Any then and now pictures would be awesome for people with similar experiences.

Puppy coat question. 20uep38
Puppy coat question. 10pqb2c
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 8:57 pm

can you get a picture of her in a stack?
Back to top Go down
rachm408
Newborn
Newborn
rachm408

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm not sure what "in a stack" means...but I'd be happy to if you could tell me. Smile
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 9:11 pm

i don't know about anything when it comess to husky ear orientation and such but i have to say those semi errect ears have got to be the cutest thing i've ever seen. omg just too cute.
Back to top Go down
Buddywoof
Newborn
Newborn
Buddywoof

Male Join date : 2012-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 11:30 pm

her ears look really cute. a peculiar looking tail for a husky tho. pure husky or not, she's still really cute..
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 1:17 am

Stacking means standing like show dogs. It helps those who are trained in showing to look at conformation.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 1:33 am

Thanks Brooke - sorry, gimme a sec I will fidn you a video. Just might help see if its in standard for a huskeroo Smile
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 1:37 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amfKNm7LWJ4&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Kizmat
Teenager
Teenager
Kizmat

Female Join date : 2012-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 1:55 am

Off topic comment: My girlfriend little sister was reading this thread last few post and she said people are talking about "Erect, stack and nice and perky " lol! Everybody around me was laughing Razz

Last edited by Kizmat on Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 2:00 am

LOL
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 3:01 am

The tails doesn't really look husky either, but she reminds me a lot of my youngest Ares, coat wise. He's 9 months and it still hasn't filled out, he has no undercoat, but he's purebred husky.

This is Ares at 5 months, closest to the camera by himself:
Puppy coat question. 399186_578893477530_811675202_n
This is him stacked at 5 months:
Puppy coat question. 599758_3401878577821_2060631220_n
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:44 pm

how do you get them to stand like that Jennet lol
Back to top Go down
Ashleymarie9807
Teenager
Teenager
Ashleymarie9807

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Megan, Sorry for the 12 week thing, i was repeating what I was told lol, still new to the husky thing but trying
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 pm

She is SO cute! Now that her ears are standing up, I would definitely say she is a husky. My Juneau didn't fill out her undercoat for a while. She also had a skinny tail when we first got her.

Puppy coat question. 2012-06-14202629
7.5 weeks, first day.

Puppy coat question. JuneauHappy
~3.5 months.

Puppy coat question. DSC_1717

Last week, 5.5 months!

Give it time. She'll fill out. Smile
Back to top Go down
arooroomom
Husky Collector
arooroomom

Female Join date : 2009-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:27 pm

The coat color is what throws me. Most Sibes markings are quite symmetrical on each side. Socking on the foot, especially with it not matching the other side confuse me. I would say strong Husky mix.

Are you a Husky owner in South Florida?! Join our facebook meetup group!
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 11:59 pm

AShley, don't apologize. Smile You are fine.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 12:46 am

Ashleymarie9807 wrote:
how do you get them to stand like that Jennet lol
he went to confirmation class a few times, so training and treats lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puppy coat question.   Puppy coat question. Empty

Back to top Go down

Puppy coat question.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next