It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Off leash runs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

Off leash runs - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Off leash runs   Off leash runs - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 1:51 am

I am probably one of the worst offenders on the forum, when it comes to my flagrant disregard for leashes on my best trained dogs. I put in 100s of hours of strict off-leash training with Soshanna as a puppy, while she was my only dog. I was in school for canine behavior, and was working with a very good training kennel, and was probably as attentive toward my own dogs training as I ever had been, since she was my only focus outside of school and work, which was basically practice for when I got home. She does not leave my side without being told to. We worked through every single distraction from trains, to trucks, to dogs, to strangers and squirrels. She knows sidewalks, and she has never once been allowed to cross a street without sitting until I go first. So, I don't leash Soshanna. She has tags, and I have the leash, but in reality, its better for us both if she's off-leash, because I've usually got more dogs with me

Locca was trained by Leevon, and is one of those dogs who just wants to be with the people. Leevon extensively trained Locca off-leash, and also feels 100% confident in her walking abilities. He often walks her off-leash when he walks with Dayzee, because Dayzee needs correction more often, and it is easier and less confusing to Locca if she isn't on a leash and potentially feeling tugs when Dayzee gets corrected.

Mixie is still working on it, and she's not allowed off leash aside from wooded trails at the dog park, weekday hikes, and wilderness camping. Her recall is good, but she's a lab, and she will wander up to any person, dog, or mailbox and attempt to sit and greet it. She has to stay on leash in the normal public, and that's fine. Dayzee and Panzer are never allowed off leash beside the park. They are not trustworthy, and likely never will be to the extent of Soshanna and Locca.

The truth is, I see a problem with off-leash dogs when they aren't under 100% voice control. Prey drive and all must be beneath the drive to absolutely do what you say, when you say it, if you want your dog off-leash. Nobody should be nose raped, or cornered, or otherwise made uncomfortable by a strange dog, on leash or off. It is very stressful, especially when you have dogs with you, and even more so when you have a dog with a behavioral issue and are being responsible about it, and a dog comes up off leash and completely following its own agenda, and ruins all hope for a good training experience. If a dog can be off-leash and walk by me like a pro, I really don't see any reason to disrupt that enjoyment for the dog.
Back to top Go down
Rigbyjek
Puppy
Puppy
Rigbyjek

PostSubject: Re: Off leash runs   Off leash runs - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 24, 2012 3:55 pm

I think that's part of the reason I can trust them off. Like you said with your first dog- I spend ALL and I do literally mean ALL my time with my dogs. Other than work- my daily routines/plans/etc. pretty much revolves around them getting exercised properly. Yes we do occasionally take a day off, but for the most part we're out 360-something days a year! I also have advantages that work for me- I used to work at a doggie daycare and now in a vets office, so I can bring them with me anytime I want. I have spent countless hours training- (two are therapy dogs and all three have their CGC.) My husky does Agility... it's like having three kids! haha Smile But again, I think it comes down to what each owner is comfortable with, everyones different.
Back to top Go down
WillG
Newborn
Newborn
WillG

Male Join date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Off leash runs   Off leash runs - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 6:56 pm

I take my girl off leash every day. However, she always has a Astro 320 (GPS) and Dogtra 1900 (E-collar) on her.

Last edited by WillG on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Off leash runs   Off leash runs - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 3:36 pm

I am really happy i came across this thread.
I have not yet let Thor off-leash for a number of reasons. I have only had him for a short period so we are still working on recall and i want him to be extremely well trained before i ever do anything like that. I also live in a city area, and there is just too much to risk.
However, i have been hoping that after a couple of years (when he is older, he is only three which is still too young), training with a backpack so he knows he is working, only letting him off when we go back country snowboarding or long hikes where there are NO cars around and few distractions, and possibly another dog (and possibly a more responsive breed) as a friend so they can play together but also come back together, that eventually i would be able to give him that bit of freedom.
Most of the threads i have come across have been avidly against the idea of letting any husky off-lead. but i really felt like with adequate training and an appropriate environment that it would be okay. I would never let me dog offleash in the philadelphia area. A friend of mine is an avid runner and has been running through philadelphia proper and had dogs come up running next to him. that is highly inappropropriate and i would never condone something like that. It was nice to see that some people do it, that it can be done, but everyone on here would agree that if you are to do it be extremely responsible about it.
Back to top Go down
WillG
Newborn
Newborn
WillG

Male Join date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Off leash runs   Off leash runs - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 5:31 pm

LoveMyBrat wrote:

i have been hoping that after a couple of years (when he is older, he is only three which is still too young)

Most of the threads i have come across have been avidly against the idea of letting any husky off-lead. but i really felt like with adequate training and an appropriate environment that it would be okay.

This is my husky at 10 months. She has had an hour a day off-lead training since she was 12 weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57HB6q4_T8s

Very possible! Just be safe about it. I keep a GPS on her at all times, just in case....
Back to top Go down
kclee
Teenager
Teenager
kclee

Male Join date : 2011-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Off leash runs   Off leash runs - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Only in a fenced in area...i've learned the hard way too many times!
Back to top Go down
Loki2012
Puppy
Puppy
Loki2012

Female Join date : 2013-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Off leash runs   Off leash runs - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Our pup is a mix which is probably why hes a little better with off leash. We never let him off for the first 3 months we had him (we got him at 3 months) we did use a 30 ft for most walks so he could run. just the last couple weeks ive stopped leashing him when we go to the lake unless we see another dog because he just wants to go see them and wont listen. he is good in the yard, there are moments when he just ignores us, but then when he cant see us anymore he comes running. when we first walked the lake trails he would wonder pretty far but the more we do it the closer he stays, its like earning his respect by trusting him. We leash him when dogs are in sight though still just out of respect for other owners and in case they are mean. Ultimately he is only off leash far away from roads and we keep watch, but we feel he needs it and he is so unbelievably happy after we get home.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off leash runs   Off leash runs - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Off leash runs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3