It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Hello From North Atlanta

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Charsmom
Teenager
Teenager
Charsmom

Female Join date : 2012-07-19

Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:16 am

adorable! Hope his tummy is feeling better quickly.
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 3:49 pm

does he cry in his crate? I just got my little guy at 7 weeks and he cries like crazy in his crate. he'll sleep for a couple hours then howl for an hour.. it's a constant, aggravating cycle lol
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

Male Join date : 2012-10-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 7:57 pm

It took a little while, but he's actually farly good in his crate. I had to figure out a few things via trial and error. Your mileage may vary, but here is what worked for me:

1. Kodi seems to hate the closed in feeling of a travel crate. I have a more open wire crate in my office -- which is where he spends any crate time during the day. I used a travel crate in my bedroom at night when we sleep. He hated the travel crate and cried pretty much only at night. When I switched it out for another wire crate, he immediately got better.

2. The first few nights with me was the first time he has ever been alone. He definitely suffered some seperation anxiety when crated, especialy at night. With a crate in my office, I was able to put him in there while I was still in the room. Leaving him in for short periods where he could still see me seemed to help. I would make a point to start getting up more often throughout the day and leaving the room for longer periods. After a few days, he got used to it.

At night, I slept on a mattress in front of his cage for a few days. When he woke up, I could let him know I was around and he would quickly settle down. After a few days, I was able to move up into the bed, but still close enough where he could hear/see me.

3. Positive reinforcement -- create a positive atmosphere in his crate. Feed him in there for a couple of days and make sure to leave treats throughout the day -- and especially when you leave. Also leave things to keep them busy when you're gone: chew toys, kong treats, etc. I foud that Kodi would wander in during the day and often sleep inside without me even having to ask or close the door.

4. Comfort - I have two larger crates that were divided down into "puppy size" with just enough room for the bed and a few chew toys. After he got better about housetraining, I removed the dividers so he could wander over to the hard plastic bottom, where is seems t stay cooler. He always prefers sleeping on the hardwood floors over carpet, blankets, or beds. In his crate, he will shift back & forth between the bed and plastic bottom.

Stick in there! The puppy days are a lot of work, but the hard work is already paying off.

Good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
http://about.me/kevinsutton
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Charsmom wrote:
adorable! Hope his tummy is feeling better quickly.

Thanks! His vet is also a very good family friend. He was surprised that Kodi was having stomach issues (both ends) from the shots. But from searching google, it seems to be somewhat common with the distemper shot.

We're still waiting on a normal stool -- fingers crossed. Funny what we root for when we have a new, furry family addition. Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 1625187496
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 2:57 am

Stomach issues only lasted about 12-14 hours and all is back to normal. Very Happy Here are both of my "little guys" posing this evening for the camera...

Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 Dsc_1310
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 29, 2012 7:13 am

Nice pic of your two "boys."

Looking closer at Kodi's mouth with the angle of the picture it appears Kodi has a nice set of vampire fangs. Laughing
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:17 am

Here4thePics wrote:
Looking closer at Kodi's mouth with the angle of the picture it appears Kodi has a nice set of vampire fangs. Laughing

Hilarious! I didn't see that when I took the picture and posted it. That would make for a good Halloween costume if I can get him to wear a black Dracula cape with his fangs.
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 pm

A couple of new pics... Kodi loves to hang out under the Christmas tree and chew on his Santa & Elf chew toys.
Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 Dsc_1510

We also received his new skull tags from Etsy today. They're a lot smaller than I had thought, but still like them alot. They definitely reflect his personality.
Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 Dsc_1511
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 7:05 pm

the under the tree pics are priceless! get a good one to put in a pups first xmas ornament!

Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 7:07 pm

I NEED A HUGE BLOW UP PHOTO OF THE FIRST CHRISTMAS TREE PHOTO! AHHHH!!

Sorry. Sorry. I'm calm now.
Back to top Go down
ashleylou
Teenager
Teenager
ashleylou

Female Join date : 2012-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 7:12 pm

omgosh he is the cutest darn thing ive ever seen! great pics (:
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Great pics!! I need to get one of those skull tags for Nanook.. It fits his personality too (and mine lol)
Back to top Go down
yulia86
Puppy
Puppy
yulia86

Female Join date : 2012-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:39 pm

He is so cute, makes me want another puppy to keep company to Maxi.

Waiting for more pictures:)
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Heather! wrote:
I NEED A HUGE BLOW UP PHOTO OF THE FIRST CHRISTMAS TREE PHOTO! AHHHH!!
Laughing Here's a link to the original: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/617940/DSC_1587.JPG

That's a great idea about the ornament! We have a ton of them from the kids growing up -- not sure why I never thought to do one for the furry one too. santa
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:45 pm

yulia86 wrote:
He is so cute, makes me want another puppy to keep company to Maxi.
We're only 3 months in and I've already been making plans for our next one. He has been soooo good that I keep thinking a sibling wouldn't be that hard. But then I realize this just may be my version of winning the lottery. Smile And I had better appreciate how lucky I have been.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Everyone (not on here, people in real life who met Koda and had dogs) told me my next dog would be terrible since Koda is so good. Haha, jokes on you suckers, I have two well-behaved huskies!

Jarod and I always regret not getting two pups at once. A lot of people say that can be an issue (littermates), but it'll always be something we wish we did.

And not even kidding that I am printing that out and hanging it up because I can't handle how cute it is.. lol. We haven't had a tree since we got Rogue since we haven't really celebrated since moving, and Koda was 8 months when Christmas rolled around.
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Heather! wrote:
Everyone (not on here, people in real life who met Koda and had dogs) told me my next dog would be terrible since Koda is so good. Haha, jokes on you suckers, I have two well-behaved huskies!

Jarod and I always regret not getting two pups at once. A lot of people say that can be an issue (littermates), but it'll always be something we wish we did.

And not even kidding that I am printing that out and hanging it up because I can't handle how cute it is.. lol. We haven't had a tree since we got Rogue since we haven't really celebrated since moving, and Koda was 8 months when Christmas rolled around.
LOL!! Love it!!!!

I got so into the idea of having the pup, I called back a day after we picked him out (first pick) and all of his siblings were already taken. I took that as my sign that 1 was probably enough for me. And some days, I'm glad. But the pics sure do make me want another....
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 pm

And Heather, just for the record... I LOVE your avatar & signature pics. One of these days, I'm going to get some of Kodi by a real photographer.
Back to top Go down
DanielleCortez
Teenager
Teenager
DanielleCortez

Female Join date : 2012-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Oh man, he is BEAUTIFUL! Thanks for posting your crate training tips, VERY helpful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.wesatonashoreline.wordpress.com
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 pm

There's much better quality photos of my avatar in "Member Photos" there's much cuter pictures there, I just didn't change my avatar photo yet- the quality of that one is merp because Rogue's face is so out of focus Smile It was moreso someone who took photos with a DSLR and I editted them, lol, but they did a pretty good job! I prefer my photos of my dogs... I say just buy a DSLR and work on learning the ropes of photography yourself. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 1:03 am

Oh my the new pictures are lovely, he's growing up so fast Smile
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 4:53 am

We hit one of our early milestones today... last round of shots. Thought I would upload comparison pics to celebrate....

First trip to the vet (7 weeks), weighed in at a whopping 6 lbs.
Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 Img_0814

Last round of shots (15 weeks), weighed in at 21.8 lbs. The pic is actually from last week, but close enough... Very Happy
Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 Img_0813
Back to top Go down
akwit09
Newborn
Newborn
akwit09

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 5:09 am

How adorable!!! We took Odin to the Vet today for the very first time. He weighed in at a whole 9.2 pounds lol. I cant believe he will be that big by 7 weeks. They grow so fast!

Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 Iw9cm5
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 5:16 am

Yeah, they grow soooo fast! Kodi went from 6 lbs (7 weeks) to 10.4 (9 weeks) to 17.4 (12 weeks) to 21.8 (15 weeks). He had a massive spurt between 9 & 12 weeks. That's when he really transformed from a tiny puppy into a small dog.

It's even more amazing to see how much they really mature in that short of a time as well. He's gone from a clumsy "toddler" to a better-behaved "pre-teen." I'm just waiting for the "teenager" in the next several months. affraid
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 7:38 am

He's getting so big!

I can't handle how cute he is!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello From North Atlanta   Hello From North Atlanta - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello From North Atlanta

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next