It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Training to walk on a treadmill

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kaya2012
Newborn
Newborn
kaya2012

Training to walk on a treadmill Empty
PostSubject: Training to walk on a treadmill   Training to walk on a treadmill EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi,

has anyone managed to train their husky to walk on a treadmill?
What age were they and how long did it take?

Kaya is only 4 months old so I'm just working on desensitizing her to the treadmill at this point.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Training to walk on a treadmill   Training to walk on a treadmill EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 9:31 pm

I would rather physically walk my dogs than to put them on a treadmill. But that's just my personal opinion. I don't know anyone that has trained to walk on one of those.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Training to walk on a treadmill   Training to walk on a treadmill EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 9:49 pm

I had considered it last winter when the weather was bad.. But Blaze would have nothing to do with the treadmill so we stuck with walking twice a day.
Back to top Go down
kaya2012
Newborn
Newborn
kaya2012

PostSubject: Re: Training to walk on a treadmill   Training to walk on a treadmill EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks, Kaya does get walked at least twice a day but I was more thinking of the winter time or when it is raining, or any time when it is not always possible to go for a long walk. I would love her to be familiar with the treadmill so she can at least get her exercise, and it gives us options.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Training to walk on a treadmill   Training to walk on a treadmill EmptySat Oct 20, 2012 11:28 pm

I've fantasized about trying to train Adobo & Biko for treadmill usage. Adobo would be a good candidate to try but Biko fur get about it.
Back to top Go down
kaya2012
Newborn
Newborn
kaya2012

PostSubject: Re: Training to walk on a treadmill   Training to walk on a treadmill EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 4:34 pm

The treadmill lessons are going well - I have been desensitizing her for about 12 days now. Been giving her high value treats, lots of toy play as well as getting her to eat some of her meals on it Smile

Overall, she's now pretty comfortable with being around it and on it, without the belt moving, so I would say we are about 80% of the way. However, she still does get a fright when it gets started up and certainly doesn't like the sensation.

We have tried a few ideas at home to get her past that final "hurdle" and actually relax enough to walk on the moving belt but she continues to be a bit scared, so we have found a dog trainer whose own dogs walk on the treadmill and who is familiar with treadmill training so she will help Kaya during a session later this week.

On a day like today when it is POURING with rain, it would be ideal to get her to burn some energy as she can get a bit crazy otherwise!
Back to top Go down
gfg2490
Newborn
Newborn
gfg2490

Female Join date : 2014-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Training to walk on a treadmill   Training to walk on a treadmill EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 10:46 am

How did the treadmill training go? I'm currently desensitizing my 7 month old and I'd love some advice!
Back to top Go down
lillith87
Senior
Senior
lillith87

Female Join date : 2013-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Training to walk on a treadmill   Training to walk on a treadmill EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 7:19 pm

I actually have gotten Okami willing to go on the treadmill.

It took FOREVER.

Obviously I got it for me. But with the small intention of using it in the winter for her.

I always always will only ever use it for exercise with her if it is the only way to run out her energy. I will do bike runs, walks, jogs... I don't have a sled or anything I can use in the winter time yet (I have used a kid sled and used my mushers belt and had her pull me around on the snow... lol that was amusing.) so in the wintertime (I live in Michigan, it is unpredictable whether I can walk her in the winter, last year we had a solid 5 foot snow for a week) I will use the treadmill.

To continue my story. I got my Treadmill last summer. I *tried* to see what Okami thought of it. Put her on it while it was off... then turned it on. Nope. Nope. Nope. She was terrified needless to say. So from that point on any attempt I made getting her anywhere near it was futile and feeble.

Then one day, this was like 4 months ago. I just put her on it, regardless of her fear. And I turned it on a little speedy. Not like omg fast, but power walk fast. Mind you I have her tethered and I am holding the leash in front of her. It clicked with her, and she was like, "OMG this is awesome!" And now she will happily walk up on it and look at me like, "Hey, this thing. Come on ... this thing!" As I stated, I only ever put her on it in times of dire need of her to be exercised, it is just another tool I have in my arsenal. But it is more of a last resort. I don't think I condone my way of how I got her to do it, because I pretty much just said, "Screw your fear! Just do it!" So I don't know if that is the way you should go about it.... I tried other ways, I tried treats while she was on it with it off (Never give treats while it is on and your dog walking on it, that can be a choking hazard) But she would just take the treat and run with her tail between her legs... so that was never going to work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Training to walk on a treadmill   Training to walk on a treadmill Empty

Back to top Go down

Training to walk on a treadmill

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1