It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
peeooz
Newborn
Newborn
peeooz

Male Join date : 2012-10-23

18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( Empty
PostSubject: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:14 pm

I JUST ADOPTED AN 18 MONTH OLD SIBERIAN FROM A RESCUE, IM FEEDING HER BLUE BUFFALO SALMON RECIPIE AND SHE WONT EAT IT TO OFTEN ITS PROBABLY BEEN ABOUT 18 HOURS SINCE THE LAST TIME SHE ATE, I PUT EXACTLY 2 CUPS WORTH IN HER BOWL AND ALWAYS KEEP HER WATER FULL, SHE GOES OUT ON RUNS/WALKS FOR ABOUT 3 MILES A DAY AND THEN I PLAY WITH HER LATER IN THE AFTERNOON SHOULD I BE WORRIED? IS THIS NORMAL? WHAT CAN I DO? I JUST WANT HER TO BE HAPPY THATS ALL.

ALSO, SHE HAS SERIOUS SEPERATION ANXIETY ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP THAT?

-THANK YOU
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Huskies to regulated their eating habits. Mine two will skip meals from time to time. You might try hand feeding her a couple days of so. I believe this helps with the eating and it may provide some help with the separation anxiety. The rest will just take time. We had some issues with Kerian when we got her it has now been 6 months and she has gotten better.

Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:24 pm

As Linda said, it's normal for Huskies to skip meals from time to time. My 18 month old does it all the time. Also, Huskies are very sensitive to change, and if you just adopted her she may just be trying to settle in to her surroundings. I took mine to visit my parents, which involved a very long car ride and new surroundings, and she barely ate for the entire week we were there. If she is healthy, she will not starve herself. Just keep offering food as normal, and you can always pour a little bit of warm water on the food to make it smell a little better to her. That usually works with our dog.

As far as the separation anxiety goes, you're on the right track with lots of exercise and stimulation, and we have a lot of threads here with very good information. Definitely search those and read through them, and hopefully they can help you out.

Welcome to the forum and contgrats on adopting Smile

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

Male Join date : 2011-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:43 pm

First things first you just rescued her.

Take a deep breath, relax, and step back from the situation.

Welcome to the forums and Congratulations on rescuing a pup. Smile. Thank you for giving her a new chance at a home.

Quote :
I JUST ADOPTED AN 18 MONTH OLD SIBERIAN FROM A RESCUE

This is going to be a hard time on not only you but the pup as well. I don't know much about your situations but even if the pup was never in the rescue itself, and was staying at a foster you just re-homed the poor thing.

It is totally normal for the pup to be, for some time, out of sorts so to speak. Give it some time and let things settle down while you both adjust to each other.

Quote :
IM FEEDING HER BLUE BUFFALO SALMON RECIPIE AND SHE WONT EAT IT TO OFTEN ITS PROBABLY BEEN ABOUT 18 HOURS SINCE THE LAST TIME SHE ATE

It is perfectly normal for the most active, healthy, and well adjusted huskies to skip meals from time to time. My 2 do it ALL THE TIME; I'm talking at least once a week. Now I'm not saying my 2 are anywhere near the most active, healthy, or well adjusted but I like to believe they are. Either way they are fine... The breed in and of itself are notorious for self regulation and if they feel they don't need to eat they won't.

As long as the activity level remains, they are drinking, and are not lethargic I wouldn't worry my pretty little head over it.

Quote :
I PUT EXACTLY 2 CUPS WORTH IN HER BOWL AND ALWAYS KEEP HER WATER FULL

This line however I feel we might need more information on.

Do you feed her 2 cups once a day?
Is it 2 cups per meal?
How much does she weight?

Mine don't even get 2 cups a day, an my youngest is a bit over the 18 month mark. She is perfectly healthy at 40 pounds. She may look lean and skinny, but that is normal for the breed especially at that age.

Put the bowl down and if she doesn't eat it in 15 mins, or how ever long you deem is exceptable, take the food away. Come next meal she will be hungry and eat and start to learn a schedule. It's not cruel it just teaches them order.

Quote :
SHE GOES OUT ON RUNS/WALKS FOR ABOUT 3 MILES A DAY AND THEN I PLAY WITH HER LATER IN THE AFTERNOON SHOULD I BE WORRIED? IS THIS NORMAL? WHAT CAN I DO? I JUST WANT HER TO BE HAPPY THATS ALL.

Just relax and don't over think it. Let thing fall in place. She can't help but be happy now that she has a new family. Just give it time.

Quote :
ALSO, SHE HAS SERIOUS SEPERATION ANXIETY ANYTHING I CAN DO TO HELP THAT?

It's a husky thing Training forum

Check out the wonderful stickies in this forum. Particularly the one of crate training. Read read read read and then read. There is a weath of knowledge on this board about how to deal with SA. Take it slow and it will go away in do time. Just take the TIME.

Welcome again and good luck

~Chris~

Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 12:46 pm

I probably can't give you better advice than Chris and the others have. I just wanted to state, Welcome to the forum!

Also, could you please refrain from typing in all capital letters? We try to use proper grammar and punctuation here in order to be more accessible to our international members and others reading the forum for research.

Smile

18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( Hailey10
Back to top Go down
peeooz
Newborn
Newborn
peeooz

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 1:05 pm

Thank you very much for your responses! I appreciate you guys are awesome i was geting worried about her i feed her about 2 cups twice a day at 8:00am and 6:00pm i go for my runs at about 9am
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 1:25 pm

Yeah I just responded to your PM.

4 cups a day for an 18 month old Husky seems extremely high. It's no wonder she isn't eating her next meals Razz.

the last time we did a thread on it most members were feeding their adult or teenage dogs under 2 cups a day.

Every dog is different and in time you will learn how much is right for your new pup. I would however cut way back for now.

How much does she weight now?
Is she a purebred or an Alaskan?
Do you know anything about her eating habits while in the rescue or with her previous owner?
Like how much was she eating at the rescue?

Most rescue I know are super overkill.... They won't let you leave the room until you understand the molecular density of your new dog and you provide them with 97 forms of I.D. and a sample of your first born child's blood.

I just find it strange they didn't go through feeding with you is all.

Oh well, I'm sure once all the dust settles and you both settle into your new roles you will both come to understand each others needs.

Thanks again for rescuing and enjoy the fun that comes along with it Smile. Make a point to give yourself time to breath and come on back to the forums if you have ANY questions at all or just need to vent Smile

Welcome again Smile
~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn
peeooz

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 1:40 pm

I'am not to shure about how pure bred she is, but she is'nt the giant fluffy ones, i belive they are the alaskan ones. She's about a medium length coat reddish brown with white. she weighs approxamatly 43-46lbs. The thing is that while at the rescue she was bit on her paw very badly by another pup, so she spent most of her time at the hospital Sad she was there about three weeks until i adopted her. They just left a bowl full of food for her the entire day, and let her out twice a day to relieve her self
Back to top Go down
peeooz
Newborn
Newborn
peeooz

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 1:41 pm

thank you for the warm welcomes by the way! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tika
The Long-Winded Canadian
Tika

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Ahhh I see. Poor thing.

An Alaskan is just a term for a mix husky. They come in all shapes are sizes. I have one myself. There is nothing wrong with them at all it just helps to know if your pup is mixed when talking about how much to feed, as the Alaskans can be heavier or lighter whereas with a purebred we have a guideline idea of how much your pup should be at a given age.

43 - 46 pounds is right in line with what a female Husky should weight so you are on the right track Smile.

She sounds like a beautiful girl. Sad about her paw but I'm sure she is happy to be in a new home. I'm sure you'll both become thick as thieves in no time Smile

Best of luck to you and have fun Smile
~Chris~

Newborn
Newborn
peeooz

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 2:00 pm

Thank you for all your help bro. seriously, you all helped a great deal I greatly appreciate it!
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 2:53 pm

Welcome to the forum and Thank you for rescuing!!!
Cant wait to see pictures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(   18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :( Empty

Back to top Go down

18 MONTH OLD HUSKY WONT EAT!! :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1