It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

separation anxiety :(

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
peeooz
Newborn
Newborn
peeooz

Male Join date : 2012-10-23

separation - separation anxiety :(  Empty
PostSubject: separation anxiety :(    separation - separation anxiety :(  EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:41 pm

My 18 month old husky was just adopted by me and my family, I adopted her from a rescue, and she had a torn up paw and was at the vets for about two and a half weeks. durring those weeks I went and visited her for 1 hour once a week, until I took her home. she's been home for 5 days now and loves it (hopefully) but she's attached at my hip, she goes into every room i go into and cries like crazy when leave for work. my mom is with her 99.9% of the time though. i know she has to go through her adjustment phase and all, but i dont know how to get her a little dis attached my ultimate goal is to get her to stay home by herself. is that even possible? Neutral separation - separation anxiety :(  1625187496
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: separation anxiety :(    separation - separation anxiety :(  EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:52 pm

5 days is nothin'. Razz It can take rescues up to 6 months to fully adjust to your routines and lifestyle. As for the separation anxiety, Huskies are known for being big babies when it comes to being alone, (there's always the exception). But as a whole, they are cry-babies. I'd try crate training. It gives them a "safe" place to go to when you are away. It keeps her safe from the household dangers if she gets curious, and it protects your house. When I need a break from Kale during the day when I'm home, or if I need him out of the way (like this week when workers were going through our house replacing our air conditioner), I put him in his crate. He even goes in there when he wants to nap when we're outside (his crate is outdoors with combo locks). Once she realizes that when you leave, you will eventually come back, she may calm down. {the first time I left Kale for an overnight trip, my mom said that Kale was a wreck, I've taken a few trips with my boyfriend since then and each time she says he gets better and better about being calm. She says that he still lays by the front door, but isn't pacing and whimpering for hours lol}
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
peeooz
Newborn
Newborn
peeooz

PostSubject: Re: separation anxiety :(    separation - separation anxiety :(  EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:29 pm

I see, thanks for the advice! I'll look into crate training maybe i can pay for classes or something
Back to top Go down
LRomero
Newborn
Newborn
LRomero

Male Join date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: separation anxiety :(    separation - separation anxiety :(  EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 1:38 am

Went through the same thing recently with my 8 month old rescue, Hannah.

As mentioned, having a crate is the most important. It also starts the next phase which is the house breaking / potty training, lol.

The anxiety issue lessens with time. I live alone with my dog and at first she went buck wild when I left, and I felt really bad. But after a while and constant coming back and forth, she started to realize that I wasn't going anywhere, and that she was permanently in my home.

I keep her crate close to my bed so she's always aware of where I am.

Don't feel bad that your dog is in a "cage." I went/going through the same process of learning that they must start from square one, having almost little space to be in your home and eventually being able to roam around without fear of your leaving.

The one thing you don't want to do is make eye contact or make a big deal when you leave. They sense it in your eyes and will start being a crybaby.

It will soon pass though Smile
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: separation anxiety :(    separation - separation anxiety :(  EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 2:43 am

Welcome and thank you for rescuing! Smile What rescue did you get her from? We're in LA and big fans of husky rescue!

It's completely normal and as the others advised, crate training is a great tactic. Do a search on separation anxiety on the forum (or on google - putting in site: www.itsahuskything.com separation anxiety to only bring back results on this site) and there are a ton of tips! Make the crate a good thing - with kongs filled with yummy things, and slowly up the time in there. Your husky just needs to settle in and learn that this is her forever home and that you'll be back. Smile
Back to top Go down
vue_yee
Puppy
Puppy
vue_yee

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: separation anxiety :(    separation - separation anxiety :(  EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 2:56 am

We went through the same thing with Daisy. It took her 2 weeks before she wouldn't cry and whine and bark while we were gone. We crate trained her and she loves her crate but when we are leaving her home alone we have to use a dark sheet to block the crate door. If we leave it unblocked she will still cry and wine. I think that when we block the crate door it makes her crate dark and she falls asleep faster and can't see us leaving her home alone.

Crate training is a safe and great place for your husky, yourself, and your house!
Back to top Go down
jasmineramsden
Puppy
Puppy
jasmineramsden

Female Join date : 2012-08-04

PostSubject: Re: separation anxiety :(    separation - separation anxiety :(  EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:06 am

I also strongly recommend the crate! My 5 month old has overcome any anxiety when I leave her in the house alone, but I am still working on being able to leave her downstairs if I go upstairs shes goes bananas! (I try to do this a few times each night for 10/15 mins as practice makes perfect as with crate training).

Good luck and im sure youll overcome the problem
Back to top Go down
peeooz
Newborn
Newborn
peeooz

PostSubject: Re: separation anxiety :(    separation - separation anxiety :(  EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:19 pm

thanks everyone im gonna give it a shot
Back to top Go down
Laura Newson
Puppy
Puppy
Laura Newson

Female Join date : 2011-12-03

PostSubject: Re: separation anxiety :(    separation - separation anxiety :(  EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 6:38 am

Thinking of your issues, we too having similar issues with our baby Kira. Looking for answers to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: separation anxiety :(    separation - separation anxiety :(  Empty

Back to top Go down

separation anxiety :(

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1