It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Are these good treats?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

treats - Are these good treats? Empty
PostSubject: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 2:40 am

I bought some "Waggin' Train" chicken jerkey tenders. only has 2 ingredients, chicken and vegetable glycerin. Sound good for a puppy that's going to be eating raw?
Back to top Go down
VintageJeans
Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 3:00 am

Nooo! Sad Waggin' Train and a bunch of other treat companies are having terrible recalls.

https://www.itsahuskything.com/t5494-another-recall

Scroll down to the middle of the thread and there's a list of all of the companies you should avoid.

These treats are making dogs sick with kidney failures and other issues (even death). This chicken jerky comes from China.

Please don't feed your pup those! As an alternative, www.bestbullysticks.com has a good variety of treats to choose from.
Back to top Go down
Myndi
Teenager
Teenager
Myndi

Female Join date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 4:57 am

Jackie's right, but you also have to watch the treats on bestbullysticks. They have some jerky-type treats (specifically Cadet brand) that is made in China too. I've heard that its easier and cheaper to make your own chicken jerky in the over/dehydrator, but I haven't tried it yet.
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:43 am

Oh wow. Thank you guys. What are the best treats and where can I get them?
Back to top Go down
Hayden_69
Senior
Senior
Hayden_69

Female Join date : 2011-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:23 am

I usually only give my dog's treats like chicken breast, white meat turkey hot dogs, string cheese, or deli roast beef. I hardly buy packaged dog treats, but I saw some the other day that looked great for my guys.

Here's the website:
http://www.k9granolafactory.com/

So far they have only tried the green beans and are obsessed!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 10:33 am

It is safer to buy chicken jerky that doesn't come from China. Kona chips are American if you want a safer chicken jerky alternative.
Kona's Chips

Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 11:18 am

I have started geting any treats made in the USA, but look close on the packaging to make sure. Or you can make ur own dog treats, we have a thread on that to.

Adult
Adult
VintageJeans

Female Join date : 2012-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Myndi wrote:
Jackie's right, but you also have to watch the treats on bestbullysticks. They have some jerky-type treats (specifically Cadet brand) that is made in China too. I've heard that its easier and cheaper to make your own chicken jerky in the over/dehydrator, but I haven't tried it yet.

Ooh shoot, I didn't know that! Thanks for posting. You're the one who showed me Bestbullysticks! Juneau loves her bullys. Razz

True Chews is a good chicken jerky that's made in USA. It's expensive though. You can buy them at petsmart or online. Smile
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 12:50 pm

I start making chicken jerky myself. The pups really like it..
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 3:49 pm

I second Kona's Chips. They are made 20 mins from where I live here in Cali. All ingredients are local. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
japhotos
Newborn
Newborn
japhotos

Male Join date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:36 am

Just stay away from any treat that is made in China. In terms of brands, K9 Granola, Plato and a lot of Smokehouse all come from USA sources. Just be carful and check the label to make sure it says Sources and made in the USA. There are some companies that will trick you and put things like "Tested in the USA" to fool you. Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
BrittiniRae
Puppy
Puppy
BrittiniRae

Female Join date : 2012-11-13

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:52 am

I got dehydrated duck hearts once and Kao LOVED them, and they're really healthy. Im going to try making my own in the oven, only with chicken. I havnt been able to find any treats that she loves as mush as those duck hearts!
Back to top Go down
Rotorhead
Newborn
Newborn
Rotorhead

Male Join date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 2:40 pm

For all of the claims regarding Waggin Train chicken jerky and the other couple of brands people allege to be dangerous, no one has ever been able to show that these products contain anything in them that is harmful or that they contain anything that is not listed on the lable. Personally I smell urban legend more than anything based on science.
I would like to see some data on the deaths attributed to chicken jerkey. Sorry to be the fart in the garden party. I work in an engineering lab and that is a data driven environment. No one has yet been able to demonstrate a mechanism that causes dogs to die from eating chicken jerkey, even the stuff made in China. You are going to have to do a lot better than rumor or touchy feely to convince me. Show me hard evidence of cause and effect.

Last edited by Rotorhead on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 2:42 pm

I had chicken jerky, made in China, that I fed Yuki once. Diarrhea for four days. That was 'proof' enough for me to not buy it again.
Back to top Go down
Rotorhead
Newborn
Newborn
Rotorhead

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
I had chicken jerky treats, made in China, that I fed Yuki once. Diarrhea for four days. That was enough for me not to buy it again.

Was it from one of the brands in question? Was it fresh? Are you sure your dog didn't eat some grass (or that toad in the planter, lol) that gave her a loose stool? Karly loves the stuff and it doesn't upset her one bit. I don't see the cause and effect.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Rotorhead wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
I had chicken jerky treats, made in China, that I fed Yuki once. Diarrhea for four days. That was enough for me not to buy it again.

Was it from one of the brands in question? Was it fresh? Are you sure your dog didn't eat some grass (or that toad in the planter, lol) that gave her a loose stool? Karly loves the stuff and it doesn't upset her one bit. I don't see the cause and effect.

It was from Milo's chicken strips, and it was the only thing she had eaten that would've made her sick, as she does great on her food. You can feed your dog treats from China, but I'm not taking the chance with Yuki. That's my side of it.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 3:56 pm

Rotorhead, did you see the recall list that was posted earlier in the thread? That alone would make me avoid those treats.

Besides the fact that if we start buying more products that are made in America (for us Americans on the forum) they'll have to create more jobs to make the products that are in demand. treats - Are these good treats? 2144500265
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 4:01 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
Rotorhead wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:

It was from Milo's chicken strips, and it was the only thing she had eaten that would've made her sick, as she does great on her food. You can feed your dog treats from China, but I'm not taking the chance with Yuki. That's my side of it.

Christopher's sister's dog has kidney failure because of these treats. He is 2 years old and besides kidney failure he is in perfect health.

Like Megan said you are more than welcome to feed your dog treats from china but as long as there is even a thought of them getting my dog sick I will not be feeding them.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 7:37 pm

I work in a vet hospital, and so far there have been at least a dozen dogs come in with severe diarrhea and high kidney values that both doctors have associated with chicken jerky (only) made and sourced in China. Thankfully, all cases were caught in time and they all lived, but one is still having kidney issues (she is a young dog). The general public is not released any information regarding severe illness from treats associated from China because of Dr/Client/Pt privacy laws. There are only certain things that I am legally allowed to disclose. There were several significant recalls on several Chicken jerky products that, to my knowledge, are still in effect.

Rotorhead wrote:
Are you sure your dog didn't eat some grass (or that toad in the planter, lol) that gave her a loose stool?

Consumption of grass (and licking toads) do not cause diarrhea, lethargy, or high kidney and/or liver values. Eating too much grass can cause vomiting, rarely diarrhea. Just as a FYI.

Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Rotorhead
Newborn
Newborn
Rotorhead

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:00 pm

cinnamonbits wrote:
Rotorhead, did you see the recall list that was posted earlier in the thread? That alone would make me avoid those treats.

Besides the fact that if we start buying more products that are made in America (for us Americans on the forum) they'll have to create more jobs to make the products that are in demand. treats - Are these good treats? 2144500265

Except the FDA has never recalled them. That is why I find the claims questionable.
Back to top Go down
Rotorhead
Newborn
Newborn
Rotorhead

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:02 pm

anastasiya'smom wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:
Rotorhead wrote:
Mobezilla wrote:

Christopher's sister's dog has kidney failure because of these treats. He is 2 years old and besides kidney failure he is in perfect health.

Like Megan said you are more than welcome to feed your dog treats from china but as long as there is even a thought of them getting my dog sick I will not be feeding them.

How many strips was the dog given?
Back to top Go down
Rotorhead
Newborn
Newborn
Rotorhead

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:06 pm

hypers987 wrote:
I work in a vet hospital, and so far there have been at least a dozen dogs come in with severe diarrhea and high kidney values that both doctors have associated with chicken jerky (only) made and sourced in China. Thankfully, all cases were caught in time and they all lived, but one is still having kidney issues (she is a young dog). The general public is not released any information regarding severe illness from treats associated from China because of Dr/Client/Pt privacy laws. There are only certain things that I am legally allowed to disclose. There were several significant recalls on several Chicken jerky products that, to my knowledge, are still in effect.

Rotorhead wrote:
Are you sure your dog didn't eat some grass (or that toad in the planter, lol) that gave her a loose stool?

Consumption of grass (and licking toads) do not cause diarrhea, lethargy, or high kidney and/or liver values. Eating too much grass can cause vomiting, rarely diarrhea. Just as a FYI.

Unless you can tell us a mechanism or substance in this chicken jerky that causes high kidney values, you have told me nothing. What is in Chinese made jerkey that isn't in US made jerky that harms dogs? Name the material. So far, no one can, it is all rumor and somebodys sisters neighbors dog. Where is the causality?
The FDA has tested this stuff extensively and found nothing in the jerkey that wasn't on the label with one exception in 2007. They have inspected the plants and found nothing. Where is the causality? I don't act on rumors. Give me hard data.
Back to top Go down
jbealer
Husky Stalker
jbealer

Female Join date : 2009-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Rotorhead wrote:
cinnamonbits wrote:
Except the FDA has never recalled them. That is why I find the claims questionable.

if the FDA did fess up you know what that would do the the treat market, hell would break out. there are to many stories out there about sick dogs and there seems to be one or 2 common things connecting it all, does not seem questionable to me. i have also stopped buying china treats and i like to support the USA ones, i know where everything is coming from. Costco does a good job carrying made in USA treats and S&J love them.
to each their own and thats what makes us all individuals.

Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:12 pm

Rotorhead wrote:
hypers987 wrote:

Rotorhead wrote:

Unless you can tell us a mechanism or substance in this chicken jerky that causes high kidney values, you have told me nothing. What is in Chinese made jerkey that isn't in US made jerky that harms dogs? Name the material. So far, no one can, it is all rumor and somebodys sisters neighbors dog. Where is the causality?
The FDA has tested this stuff extensively and found nothing in the jerkey that wasn't on the label with one exception in 2007. They have inspected the plants and found nothing. Where is the causality? I don't act on rumors. Give me hard data.

I would say that personal testimony from experienced veterinary techs who have witnessed this firsthand qualifies as hard data. Do you work for one of these companies?

I get that you're an engineer and you want hard data. I'm an engineer as well, and yeah, that's how I operate too. I saw my in laws make their Jack Russell sick from Waggin Tails jerky last year. Cause and effect - that was the only part of the diet that changed, and as soon as they took the treats away the dog got better.

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

treats - Are these good treats? 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? EmptyThu Nov 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Dang, if you want to feed the treats, feed the treats. Members are just giving you their opinion since you asked for it and they have personally experienced sick dogs as a result of fore-mentioned treats (and Brooke working at a vet's office, I do feel her opinion does hold some weight). Take it or leave it, but we don't need to get all offensive and snarky with people who just want to keep your dog safe, thus why they giving you the information they are.

Once again, bottom line is, feed them if you want, or don't. You asked, people answered, if you don't like what they have to say, just move on and continue to feed your dog as you wish and we can move on from this topic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are these good treats?   treats - Are these good treats? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are these good treats?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next