It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Bringing Home A Rescue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

Bringing - Bringing Home A Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Bringing Home A Rescue   Bringing - Bringing Home A Rescue EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 9:24 pm

So as some/most of you know we are going to be adding a rescue to our family this weekend. My husband, myself and Kota are traveling to North Carolina to my parents to meet with the foster mom who has Skyler. We have been talking back and forst via email and text about Skyler for a little over a month just so we know everything there is to know about her before we move her 400 miles and it not be a good match. I personally am not worried but I know that things happen.

From what Jen has told me about Skyler, I know that she is very timid at first and it will probably take a bit of time before she fully warms up to my husband and I, and that I am not too worried about either because we'll love her regardless. She currently lives in a house with several other fosters so we know she is good with other dogs but I worry that Kota is to hyper and outgoing. It sounds silly to say kinda of but I am almost afraid that Kota will scare her or make her more withdrawn. Is there really a good way to introduce the two of them in hopes that they don't just completely hate each other?

I know Kota will be super excited at first but I am pretty sure once we get them both home and life returns to somewhat a normal state that Kota will be jealous as she is kinda spoiled rotten. My husband and I have talked a lot about making sure that we give them both ample amount of attention, but Skyler is going to require a lot of work/time just to even make her comfortable and I don't want Kota feeling left out in anyway what so ever.

I guess with all that being said, I was just wondering if anyone had any advise on introducing another dog into the family without much issue. Also, we have to transport the 2 back to Kentucky just a short 2 days after getting Skyler. Should we let them both have free run of the back half of the jeep together like we do Kota, or kennel one/both? I just want this to be as stress free for Skyler who I know has some separation issues and things of that nature, but also don't want Kota to feel like she is being replaced.

Maybe I just worry to much, that may be it. lol!
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Bringing Home A Rescue   Bringing - Bringing Home A Rescue EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 10:43 pm

I introduced Kay to maya and Sophie on a walk. Kay didn't really know what to do with them when we brought her home. Maya and Kay got into ALOT of fights (still do) because they're both really dominant. Kay would growl at her and tell maya off when her play got to rough. Then after one of their big fights outside in which Sophie and maya had her on the ground she became scared of them. She would growl when they came near and hide when they tried to play with her. But she soon learned they weren't trying to kill her and opened up again. Now I don't have to pull them apart when they get into fights, they'll end it themselves and it only lasts 10 seconds at most. It'll settled down here once they figure each other out.
I'm sure it'll work out for you. Even if Kota gets super excited Skyler will figure out that she means no harm. I'm sure someone will have some good advice to give you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ghost
Adult
Adult
Ghost

Female Join date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Bringing Home A Rescue   Bringing - Bringing Home A Rescue EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 11:11 pm

That's great news! You must be so excited. I always think it's better to introduce a new dog on neutral territory and then take them for a walk together. Hopefully they'll hit it off right away. I would also kennel both of them in the back of the car, just to be on the safe side. Hopefully they will be fine together, but since they won't have had much time to get to know each other, it's better - imagine if they had a disagreement while you were driving on the highway and couldn't do anything about it. Hopefully that won't happen, but better safe than sorry.

I hope it all goes really well!
Back to top Go down
http://www.companionanimalpsychology.blogspot.com
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Bringing Home A Rescue   Bringing - Bringing Home A Rescue EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 11:15 pm

I suggest you introduce then when you drive to NC. We introduce blaze and kerian to each other at the shelter before we brought her home.. Blaze looked as us in the car with a look on his face as to why we are bringing her with us.. It has worked out for us they are still working on who is the alpha in this house but we have told her and re inforce the fact that we are not either or them.

I would take them to a different place and introduce them to each other and see how things go from there.. it is going take some work but you can make it work. Just take you time with them.
Back to top Go down
ljelgin
Senior
Senior
ljelgin

Female Join date : 2012-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Bringing Home A Rescue   Bringing - Bringing Home A Rescue EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 11:21 pm

I wanted to add that it will take time we are still having issues with Kerian and it has been almost 6 months. It will depend on what her life was before you got her. Just work and the training and stick to your plan.
Back to top Go down
KotaBear
Teenager
Teenager

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Bringing Home A Rescue   Bringing - Bringing Home A Rescue EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 pm

Thanks guys!

We hadn't planned on taking Kota with us to NC, so that maybe Skyler could become semi comfortable with us before bringing Kota into the picture but Jen recommended we bring Kota because of Skylers personality and from her experience with rescues. We will all be staying at my parents in NC so I feel that would be pretty well neutral ground for both, plus they have about a 2 acre fenced in yard that will be nice for them to run in.

I understand completely that they are going to butt heads a lot, and Jen has already told me that Skyler likes to get a bit dominate with the newer rescues she brings in, but not so much with the dogs that have been there longer. That is understandable but I just hope that Kota doesn't get to mad about it. I am actually really excited to see how Kota acts because she LOVES to play with other dogs, so I know she will love Skyler at first. Since they are the same age almost exactly and pretty much the same size, I have a feeling Kota will very very happy. As far as the drive home, it will be both my husband and I so even if we decide to no crate them for the drive, which we will have to see if both crates will fit, then at least one of us will be able to play the mediator if they get into it.

We are excited to get her though, and are more than ready to take on the challenge. I really believe it will be good for Kota, because she is a very social pup and loves to play with other dogs. I think she will be much happier once things settle down and she has Skyler to play with all the time. Plus on those days where I am so exhausted after work and don't feel like playing fetch for hours, I can just turn them lose to entertain each other. Wishful thinking huh!

Another question that is probably going to sound very strange... Kota sleeps with us at night, and is a total cuddle bug. She sleeps right between my husband and I. Jen has told me that Skyler is also her bed buddy and sleeps right with her every night also. How should I go about all that since I know 2 50lbs huskies are not going to fit in bed with my husband and I. Again, I just don't want anyone to feel left out or getting to jealous. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bringing Home A Rescue   Bringing - Bringing Home A Rescue Empty

Back to top Go down

Bringing Home A Rescue

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1