It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Mschwax
Puppy
Puppy
Mschwax

Female Join date : 2013-03-07

So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 5:19 am

oh to have read this 20 years ago before we ever started the darn "husky habit"!

#1 imagine your husky is a cat. how do you keep a cat from leaving the yard? you dont. whatever barrier you use, a determined husky will climb it, chew through it or dig uunder it. No collar in the world will stay on a huskies head when he decides to remove it.

#2 Ever try to teach a cat to fetch? It probably did better than your husky will. Most huskies view such games as beneath them. if you want the darn ball so bad, YOU go get it.

#3 Never trust them. They may listen perfectly every day for a month, and then suddenly decide not to. the dog that performed sit, stay, come, and leave it like a pro yesterday is suddenly deaf and blind. this usually is discovered when you decide to unleash them for a few minutes and they bolt like greased lightning.

#4 Microchip your husky. your husky will escape. no matter how careful you arem it is only a matter of time before they bolt past you at light speed. tags are only effective until they slip their collarm which they will likely do as you make a lunge after them.

#5 the hair. Oh my gosh the hair. you can build entire new dogs from the hair. if you havent had a husky, you have never seen anything like it. be prepared for people to think your dog has a disease during coat blowing season. he will not be pretty. he will be patchy and have chunks of fur popping out all over. you will brush him constantly during this time. an hour later he will look the same as he did before. ohm and husky hair is like velcro. it laughs at lint rollers. On the plus side, they rarely have doggy odor and their hair is softm not itchy or poky. which is important since you will find it in your underwear.

#6 Huskies are addictive. you will curse them. you will swear you hate them. yet you will feel compelled to keep bringing them home.

#7 They are sucky guard dogs. Everyone is their new best friend. howeverm stupid people who think they are wolves are often intimidated by them. Plusm they tend to approach with their head low and making a low growling noise which is really just saying hello but may fool some people into thinking it is a threat. Right up until they leap into their arms and lick them to death that is....

#7 If you are a couch potato, it will be a contest to see who goes insane first you or the dog.

#8 they will test your patience like no ther dog. and you will love them anyway.
Back to top Go down
khollon
Puppy
Puppy
khollon

Female Join date : 2013-04-23

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2013 2:09 am

after careful consideration and six pages, and a sit down talk with my boyfriend, thinking about having a forever terrible two with a sensitive stomach and an urge to escape who seems to be a descendant of houdini mixed with a garbage eating goat that will be eating our chargers, clothes and etc, and double as our determined alarm clock that will force us to exercise on a daily basis. we have decided its what we want. call us crazy. but now we just have to find a puppy.
Back to top Go down
LoveMyBrat
Puppy
Puppy

Female Join date : 2013-01-29

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 10:23 am

So in my opinion the statement "you don't train them, they train you" is true on multiple levels.

I admit that when i got my husky, i was not prepared for my husky. But every day is a learning experience.

If you have a type A personality, if you are a stress ball, want to be obeyed at all times, and are unwilling to change, a husky is definitely not for you. But if you are willing to learn, they will make you a better person. They force you to take a step back, and enjoy life more. They make you become patient. And the make you laugh. And they are a challenge -they make you work!

When they are rambunctious all day, and get you to the point of ripping your hair out, and they finally calm down, sit by your feet, and look at you with those big, blue, (or brown or multicolored), calculating eyes you can't help but have your heart melt a little bit. When they somehow manage to eat a cake off of the top of the fridge, you can't help but laugh and wonder how. And when they are pulling their little butts off on walks, you have to keep your cool, or they will pull more and more and more... until the howling starts.

They are smart. you cannot take that away from them. Almost everything they do, all of the things they destroy - there is a level of calculation behind it. They are strong - very strong for their size. And they are FAST. You have to be 10 steps ahead of them. But i know that my guys (1 husky, 1 not) are not like other dogs, but they force me to be better, for their sake and mine.
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyWed May 01, 2013 10:40 am

khollon wrote:
after careful consideration and six pages, and a sit down talk with my boyfriend, thinking about having a forever terrible two with a sensitive stomach and an urge to escape who seems to be a descendant of houdini mixed with a garbage eating goat that will be eating our chargers, clothes and etc, and double as our determined alarm clock that will force us to exercise on a daily basis. we have decided its what we want. call us crazy. but now we just have to find a puppy.

lol!

Back to top Go down
Kronosmommy
Newborn
Newborn
Kronosmommy

Female Join date : 2013-05-09

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 11:07 am

Hello, This sticky has been so informative. I've just brought home Kronos. He is just like a newborn baby. I have to keep my eye on him at ALL TIMES. He is only 8wks old. He has tested every command, and we have gone potty like twenty times a day, I live by one hour increments and a rotation of five minute training sessions. I have said goodbye to sleep, but I know it will be all worth it. Very Happy Pray that my own stubbornness wins out and my determination to throw the myth that new owners shouldn't get a Siberian Husky remains steady. Wink
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyMon May 27, 2013 1:26 pm

I was a "new owner" as well. Wink Anyone can raise and live with Siberians if they are dedicated and more stubborn than they are. We carry no prejudice here. Welcome!
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Kye
Newborn
Newborn
Kye

Male Join date : 2013-09-24

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 10:03 am

We got Kye as first time owners as well ignoring all the suggestions against. we are determined to raise him right though and have him in classes, on good food, crate trained, excersize. I did a lot of research ahead of time to be a bit more prepared (Huskies for Dummies is a great book). After all, I wouldn't settle for less than Kye. The warning is for people who are expecting a lab-like commitment in a husky, but if you (and your family) are determined and prepared, go for it.
Back to top Go down
ccurran07
Teenager
Teenager
ccurran07

Female Join date : 2013-07-21

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 am

Every one was new to sibes at some point. Welcome!
Back to top Go down
simplify
Senior
Senior
simplify

Female Join date : 2012-08-02

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 11:38 am

Mishka was my first husky. I did tons of research and honestly, no matter how much research and how prepared you think you are, you never truly are. As long as you are determined and have the right mindset to handle all of their antics, they are great dogs. If you aren't prepared for how they can be at their worst, you definitely shouldn't get one.

People stop me all the time and I try to educate them about the breed, but most people just stop to say how pretty they are and various other compliments on their appearance. I always say he is a handful and is a lot of work. Because it's true. They see me walking him 1-3 times a day if possible. And that's not including all the work we do at home.

I'm not perfect either with him. He still drives me crazy but in a moment he can make me want to cry and the next he makes me laugh. It's just such a weird relationship. Lol.

KibaHope
Teenager
Teenager
KibaHope

Female Join date : 2012-11-05

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 2:45 pm

simplify, i feel the exact same way. One second my dogs thundering around my living room potentially making our downstairs neighbors hate us and the next minute shes cuddling with me on the couch like the best dog in the world- drives me nuts but i love her.

its hard to fully understand the amount of work a husky can be until you own one!
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 3:36 pm

I think I was over-prepared with Yuki. Other than the destruction and the talking, she is very laid-back. Doesn't really get zoomies, doesn't need walked every hour on the dot, and is content to just sleep all day long. However she talks my ear off and destroys everything in sight if not crated xD

Link is the opposite - he doesn't destroy anything and hardly ever talks, but this boy has more energy than any dog I've ever seen. He is constantly doing zoomies the minute I get him outside and is begging to go out more than any dog I know. He is also trying to play with Cloud or Yuki every second of every day wheras they normally just want to nap.

I was a new sibe owner, I grew up with a sheltie and always thought I was going to want another sheltie or a pomeranian. Not sure how I was able to make that jump but I'm glad I did, I don't think I can ever go back now Wink
Back to top Go down
ladyfair
Newborn
Newborn
ladyfair

Female Join date : 2013-09-27

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyMon Sep 30, 2013 8:13 pm

Well I have been the proud owner of my first Husky for 3 weeks now and oh boy the next year should not be dull.... My lil fur ball has chewed my phone charger and blanket, painted the carpet brown (apparently he has a sensitive tum tum) and has made it look like I own the demon cat from hell with all the marks on my arms, legs, ect. He is also the most vocal puppy I have ever had, he makes so many noises when he is hungry or wants something. He also loves my cloths (and not in the good way) He chews grass and digs like there is not tomorrow and will eat anything like it is puppy chow. With that said he is so darn smart. He learned sit and down in two days and walks on the leash pretty well for the most part. He is most assuredly a inside dog, as we live in FL he hates being outside and runs to the door when he is done with his duties, which makes going for our daily walks challenging at the beginning but he seems to enjoy it once we are on our way. For his size he play's very very rough! So far playing with other pup's his age has been interesting to say the least. He is the most affection lil bugger when he is not trying to gnaw me to death. Training him has been very different from any other dog I have had. I would say this breed definitely needs a strong minded person who is very diligent with training and a glass of wine at the end of the day because boy howdy will they try your patience! I do have 3 ferrets (2 in which are still mad at me and 1 who loves to play with him like crazy!) which at times can be challenging for him since he does play so rough. My lil girl ferret Pixie love to plays with him but I have to stay on top of him so he is not too rough. But I have come to terms that all of them playing together must stop due to a accident with another husky and my ferret. I would have to say that having a husky changes you life in so many ways that you could not even think of! They will drive you mad but then be so sweet it melts your heart I love you For the most part I would have to agree with everyone who has posted stuff on Husky's here and say nothing can prepare you for that lil fur ball!! Something we have not gone though yet like others have since he is only 10 weeks old but I look forward to all the wonderful things in store! (and have prepared a bottle of wine for the end of the day lol) Also any other warning for me would be greatly appreciated!!
Back to top Go down
Ausibe
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2013-12-24

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 4:24 am

Hi All,

I've been interested in a husky for just over a year now and just wanted to say this is easily the best community i've found this sticky is so informative and literally answered every question i have toiled over for the last year s i have now decided to commit to a husky as soon as i have suitable living arrangements (I'm buying a house) as i'd rather not be shifting a puppy around places as it wouldn't be good for him/her Smile

just wanted to say thanks!
Back to top Go down
Javier77
Newborn
Newborn
Javier77

Male Join date : 2013-11-02

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyTue Dec 24, 2013 8:47 am

It is great that you have finally decided to get a puppy! You will have soooo much fun with him (Or her).
Good luck with the house  Wink
Back to top Go down
MeganWerth
Newborn
Newborn
MeganWerth

Female Join date : 2014-01-18

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 1:31 am

Although my Axle has definitely tested me a few times, I can say with confidence I trust him off his leash. My parents live on an acerage, I open the door, let him run and he comes right back when he is called. Even in town, if he gets the idea to run for a squirrel, if I yell he comes right back. BUT, when he was younger, It was 5 in the morning and I had to get to work. He decided he was going to play "catch me if you can" for 45 minutes, while I preceded to yell and eventually cry from him not coming but being within arms reach! Definitely need MUCH training before they can be trusted!!
Back to top Go down
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 4:58 pm

I think my husky is way better than other breeds. I'm baby sitting a hound mix and holy hell can this little dog bark and howl. I can deal with some husky and a little bit of hair & stubborness but this barking at the slightest sound is driving me nuts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
katethemusical
Newborn
Newborn
katethemusical

Female Join date : 2014-03-04

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 1:59 pm

We got our husky when he was already an adult so crate training doesn't seem like it will even be possible. He is a huge cuddle bug, though, which I love. It makes me not even care about the blizzard of white husky fur that now coats the sofa. Smile
Back to top Go down
CavingSiberian
Adult
Adult
CavingSiberian

Female Join date : 2013-03-29

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 5:11 pm

OMG... i love these... almost every one I can identify with. Smile Makes me want to put together another Husky PSA image. LOL.

Mschwax wrote:
#1 imagine your husky is a cat.

Yep... In fact Journey chases a laser just like a cat and has discovered the art of laying on top the of my extremities to get my attention. Just the other day at the vet office we got into the reception and the girls behind the desk always talk to her and out of no where she jumps ONTO the desk. Not to mention their independence. I have constantly struggled with the fact that Shaqua doesn't want to sleep with me and cuddle with me at night... but then again I don't think I would want a dog that was constantly in my face like some of my friends dogs are.

Mschwax wrote:
#2 Ever try to teach a cat to fetch? It probably did better than your husky will. Most huskies view such games as beneath them. if you want the darn ball so bad, YOU go get it.
Couldn't have said it better. Normally I get this look from Shaqua that all but says "WTF did you do that for?"

Mschwax wrote:
#3 Never trust them. They may listen perfectly every day for a month, and then suddenly decide not to. the dog that performed sit, stay, come, and leave it like a pro yesterday is suddenly deaf and blind. this usually is discovered when you decide to unleash them for a few minutes and they bolt like greased lightning.
This seems to be especially true when you are trying to show someone that they are well-mannered. Ha ha. Sit? What is sit? I've only known how to do it for the last 11 years, but...whatever.

Mschwax wrote:
#4 Microchip your husky. your husky will escape. no matter how careful you arem it is only a matter of time before they bolt past you at light speed. tags are only effective until they slip their collar which they will likely do as you make a lunge after them.
Yep... Shaqua was lost and she still had her collar but the tag had come off b/c she bent the metal ring that holds it on. She is microchipped but the only thing that brought her back to me was my obsessive calling of any shelter or vet in a 30 mile radius...

Mschwax wrote:
#5 the hair. Oh my gosh the hair. you can build entire new dogs from the hair.
So, funny story, I had to run to the dollar store to pick up a missing ingredient... the cashier looked at me and asked if I had a cat. I'm so used to the fur I don't even think about it most of the time... although I am sure everyone else notices. Who cares.

Mschwax wrote:
#6 Huskies are addictive.
I already want a third...

Mschwax wrote:
#7 They are sucky guard dogs. Everyone is their new best friend. However stupid people who think they are wolves are often intimidated by them. Plus they tend to approach with their head low and making a low growling noise which is really just saying hello but may fool some people into thinking it is a threat.
SOOO so true... OMG... I hate when I go to the dog park and those inexperienced dog owners are all "OHhh, you dog is growling... whe is she being mean?" Even when I explain that they are just playing (as if their giant fluffy tails wagging back and forth and happy, forward facing ears aren't enough of a clue) they still act strange. Every person we meet on a walk is Journey's new friend and Shaqua is just complacent. I am convinced that if someone broke into my house they could steal everything and my girls would just watch and try to play.

Ha ha. Just Saturday I drove through Sonic to pick up a drink on our way to the woods for our hike and one of the guys in there was like "Oh my! I had a husky once...so beautiful, but I just couldn't control him so I had to give him up". I think sometimes those of us that just LOVE our sibes make it look easy but.. it isn't for everyone. It takes a certain personality to appreciate their eccentricity and unfortunately people don't always understand what we mean by that until they already adopted the cute little fur ball. Such is the reason I despise BYBs... they don't give people the proper disclaimer and application a respectable breeder would.

In sum, if you are thinking about getting a purebred husky from a breeder and that breeder doesn't make you fill out an application to be considered as a potential husky parent as well as giving you a full disclaimer about the traits of this breed then you are at the wrong breeder....

A dog is not just a dog. There is a reason we have different breeds and we try to maintain them as separate breeds.... they are all different.
Back to top Go down
techigirl78
Adult
Adult
techigirl78

Female Join date : 2013-06-26

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 11:50 pm

#1. Yes. They are like cats. If you think a laser is fun, try da bird. Loki is obsessed with my cat toys.
#2. I taught my cat to fetch and my husky too. It is not impossible. Smile
#3. True.
#4. True.
#5. I realize I replaced my whole wardrobe for 10 years to match black hair of my lab and shepherd mix. This wardrobe does not work with white husky.
#6. My fiance is talking sled team. I am having issues with #7.
#7. Wow. Loki is the worst watch dog I have ever seen unless I need protection from baby opossums. I love huskies but do not care much for this trait. The looks scare people but that is about it. Loki's future sister may be weim, gsd, or akita as result.
Back to top Go down
kylah2013
Teenager
Teenager
kylah2013

Female Join date : 2014-02-18

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Overall, I think we've been really lucky with Kylah.
However, she still has her fair share of naughtiness. For about the first month we had her, she would bite my hands so bad I would cry in frustration. Nothing I did would make her stop.
We've gone through 3 sets of blinds in one of our windows because she wanted to watch outside.
She is a perpetual dumpster diver, we always have to watch the trash.
NEVER EVER let her off the leash, good luck ever catching her.
But at the end of the day, she always steals my heart. Owning a husky has been a great decision and I wouldn't trade her for the world. She's 9 months old and I'm already begging for a second one.
Back to top Go down
Loganberry
Newborn
Newborn
Loganberry

Female Join date : 2016-03-28

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 12:36 am

We've had our pup for about 2 and 1/2 weeks now and there are considerations. I knew many- the stubbornness, the intense energy, the trouble getting their attention, NO off leash time. So I was prepared for a lot. But Logan presents unique challenges every day anyway, things that are real head scratchers. What's the best way to socialize a cat and dog who doesn't like to listen? Who loves to mouth you- and doesn't listen? I think an educated person will be okay if they know it's also going to be like a mental jungle gym/obstacle course/workout, not just long walks.
Back to top Go down
RedFlashFire05
Senior
Senior
RedFlashFire05

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2016 9:08 pm

Leo is my first husky, not sure why but i too took a leap of faith lol. i'm so glade that i did.

after the first few days i just treated him more like a cat then a dog lol, but he did go though the training classes. seems to have worked out okay, i'm not super stricted with him but he dose have is limits too.
even though i often thought what did i just get into, i was so determined to keep going and not give up lol. although there were times i were he would get into things that drove me crazy, had really bad tantrums and just did bad things for attention, but there are all the times he made me laugh.
now i cant imagine on my life without him.
Back to top Go down
Dimis
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 8:07 am

Hello from the UK! :-) A tiny bit about me: I'm a single guy in my mid-30s, very active (run 5km daily and run more than 10km every Sunday). I live in a flat in the suburbs of London in a development which has private gardens (about half an acre) that residents can use for their dogs and they do allow up to medium-large breeds. I work 9-5 but my times are flexible and my work place is 30 minutes from home. I have already discussed that i can extend my lunch break to go home and then make up for it in the afternoon. When i was a child we had fostered a Boxer, but i always wanted a Husky or Malamute (blame White Fang), however my parents wanted to test drive having a dog and then they did not allow me getting one (i was really young and it was too much work for my dad). I have also wanted one for the last 5 years but decided not to get one until i was ready to cover the day care expenses i am anticipating, plus the puppy itself which is going to be from a reputable breeder, with registered, hip-scored and health tested parents and only below 2% or 3% inbreeding (i'm happy to wait until all of these can be ticked). In the meantime have read dozens of books - everything available on Amazon Kindle about dog behaviorism, positive reinforcement, special issues like separation anxiety, calming signals, a lot of reading! - so it's not the first time i will be living with a dog and i have tried to keep up to date with the latest theories. Whenever i browse other people's experiences with a Husky I'm led to believe that because i don't have a personal yard and because i work full-time i will regret getting one, however I'm suspicious as to whether this advice comes from someone who put in the time for training and exercise and the money for day care to avoid long isolation periods. What i want to ask is whether your collective experience would anticipate a negative outcome with the following schedule:

During the early puppyhood i will be making sure to provide day care and dog sitters during work, and during this period doing socialisation, crate training, potty training, basic commands (..). Then (after a few months) the schedule that i could easily commit to is: Starting the day with a walk or run (when older) of up to an hour to one of the largest parks in London, and another one in the evening with games instead of running. During the day, i would be able to provide one day of full day care in a farm-like environment on Wednesdays, perhaps two days if too busy at work or when i move to a higher pay scale to afford this regularly, then the rest of the days crate him (it will be a boy) from 9 to 13:00, then come back and take him with me to a dog sitter near work (there are plenty with good references on those dog-sitter bookings sites) for a half-day. So he would not stay alone for more than 4 hours and that would be after exercise, and with a Kong and a treat-dispensing puzzle in his crate. Weekends i would be around most of the day except for the odd trip to the supermarket, or i would meet friends somewhere dog-friendly, or if doing something super special again pay a dog-sitter for the night. Another important bit, one of the reason i want a Husky is because of how good running companions they are and i am looking forward to training for Canicross (which is when those 10km on Sundays i already do would be perfect!) and walking trails outside London.  

Ideally i would want to have a boy that i don't need to crate after the first few years when no longer a young adult. As i said i would be training for crate, separation anxiety and obedience (hopefully!) from day one. Do you believe a Husky can adapt to this schedule or should i anticipate ending up with an unhappy boy with a lot of destruction and crying when he is left alone? Obviously i am thinking about the long-term, not the next 2 years!
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 10:42 am

The schedule sounds fine. There are several of us who work the standard 9-5 and their dog sits at home that whole time alone. As long as they are tired out before they do okay. Just remember if you are going puppy route it will be a long time before it will be able to do the runs with you. Their joints need time to develop without the stress of structured running. If you really want to jump right into running with your dog then you may want to look at rescues. Pups can only handle around 5 minutes of walking per month of age. It will be a year or more before he will be able to run for an hour, especially if you run on concrete sidewalks.

Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2016 10:57 am

TwisterII wrote:
The schedule sounds fine. There are several of us who work the standard 9-5 and their dog sits at home that whole time alone. As long as they are tired out before they do okay. Just remember if you are going puppy route it will be a long time before it will be able to do the runs with you. Their joints need time to develop without the stress of structured running. If you really want to jump right into running with your dog then you may want to look at rescues. Pups can only handle around 5 minutes of walking per month of age. It will be a year or more before he will be able to run for an hour, especially if you run on concrete sidewalks.

Thanks for your response. I thought about an older puppy but to be honest i could not fully trust the socialisation work of someone who was relinquishing it, unless it was a really exceptional circumstance. I'd rather start with a clean slate as i will be putting him through a few challenges. Breeders usually have much older adults available , when they can no longer be bred from and even those are very rare as they have bonded so much with them by then.

I know not to run with a dog less than 2 years old, however some of the current research now says that brief jogs at the puppy's rate closer to a year, just a minute here, some rest, some walk, a minute there, do not harm. Jumping (up and down stairs or furniture) is the real issue! Luckily the park is only minutes away from my residence, so only grass. I'll research more when the time comes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?   So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

So You're Thinking of Getting a Husky?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next