It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alpine
Newborn
Newborn
alpine

Male Join date : 2012-10-21

blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? Empty
PostSubject: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 12:07 am

Sorry to start another topic on this but everything I searched is not very recent on this topic. I thought this was a good food from reviews I have seen. Its a five star food everything looks good so I got a bag. I don't care about the money I just want the best. My dog loves it, I mixed it with his old food (iams) that the breeder said the previous owner was using and he pretty much left the iams and ate the blue buffalo. Today is the second day for the new food his stool is not runny he is acting good life is great. But tonight I was bored and was looking online reading about there treats and reviews and came across some really scary story's about there food. What does everyone think like i said I dont care about the money I just want the best. If you guys think its no good I will get rid of it. Need help please.

Last edited by alpine on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 12:14 am

I will be following this thread myself. I originally was on Blue, ended up switching to TOTW because thats what works for both my pups, but just curious about Buffalo xD
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 12:18 am

I've fed BBW Salmon for a couple months now both the kibble and occasionally the wet food and have never had any problems so far.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:08 am

Blue Buffalo is one of the very good kibbles to feed. Most people on the forum like Blue Buffalo Wilderness which is what Anna eats now. But she isn't on puppy food anymore, since she was 5 months maybe? not sure, but we do alternate between BBW Salmon and Duck Adult. She doesn't have a sensitive tummy so it is easy for us to switch. We are actually going to try TOTW which is also a very good food. Maybe alternate between the brands but we will see how it goes. We love Blue and haven't really had any problems.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ is a great site to check your dog's food out nutritionally.

But treat wise I am not sure. There has been a lot of talk about different brands of dog treats and dogs getting sick just not sure Blue Buffalo is one of them.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:17 am

Most of the reviews you will find on blue are about their grain inclusive formulas. I have never heard of someone having a bad experience with Wilderness. i ahve fed it and it was very good.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:18 am

FWIW, I would choose WIlderness over TOTW any day...at least i know it isn't manufactured by diamond.
Back to top Go down
alpine
Newborn
Newborn
alpine

Male Join date : 2012-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:20 am

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I just want to use the best food for my little boy. I guess I will keep moving forward with it. I am sure every food has some bad reviews. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 9:00 am

Well BB certainly is not the best food out there (there is no one best food) but it is one of the better ones. Myself and several other husky owners have bad experiences with bad batches of Wilderness in the past. This was long before this forum existed. Even BB has had recalls, but they are few and far between, I don't even remember what the last one was about. I use Wilderness as part of my rotation diet but it doesn't make my top 3 kibble list. All in all, BB is a good food and I wouldn't discourage anyone from using it.

Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 10:49 am

Valeria what are your feelings on TOTW?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 11:16 am

I won't feed it personally, but I also wouldn't discourage others from feeding it. It is a decent food for the price, I just don't trust Diamond. If your dog does absolutely stellar on TOTW that would be a good reason to stick with it, but otherwise I wouldn't. Price is not an issue for me so I prefer better foods.

My preferred kibbles for rotation would be Orijen, Acana, Nature's Variety Instinct, Fromm, Merrick, and BB Wilderness.

Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

Male Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 12:25 pm

I was told that one of the main things you look for in choosing a dog food is that the first ingredient is a meat (protein) instead of water or fluid. And to get the puppy formula because it has a higher fat content. You can find out what the first ingredient is in most dog foods by simply going to dogfoodadvisor.com and it has a list of all the diff dog foods and what their initial ingredients are and where they rank.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 12:35 pm

Are you taking about canned? ^^^

Personally, I won't feed a food that doesn't have ATLEAST 3 labeled meat proteins as the first ingredients. Not to mention, I then look at what else is there until the fat comes in. Everything before fat is what the majority of the food comprises of. I was feeding Acana when i switched to raw and I loved it. Not to mention, i got it a bit cheaper than wilderness.

I won't feed Natures Variety - has to high of ash content for my liking.
Back to top Go down
dragonthewhitedread
Teenager
Teenager
dragonthewhitedread

Male Join date : 2012-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 12:53 pm

No I mean dry. But that website has canned and dry foods to compare what ingredients are in each. And it also lists the first three ingredients I'm pretty sure. It has a link that lists 4 star and 5 star foods (4 star will be your cheaper route best and 5 star will be voted best of the best) that show the amount of protein fat etc you are getting in each brand when you click on the brand and what ingredients are In them and in what order. I found it to be beneficial in narrowing down my choices for my puppy.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Yup - we all use it here. But remember, it DOES NOT judge based on manufacturer. Do your research and feed what works best for your pup.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:21 pm

I think what you are trying to say about water content is that it is better to see named meat meal that whole meat; moisture removed makes actual protein percent drop.

Im not a fan of Anything by Blue. Sketchy business practices and I'd seen fecals of dogs being fed this food (wilderness) and there is always to much plant material it's unreal. I'd fed ToTW before I'd fed anything by blue, but that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:22 pm

Huskyluv wrote:
I won't feed it personally, but I also wouldn't discourage others from feeding it. It is a decent food for the price, I just don't trust Diamond. If your dog does absolutely stellar on TOTW that would be a good reason to stick with it, but otherwise I wouldn't. Price is not an issue for me so I prefer better foods.

My preferred kibbles for rotation would be Orijen, Acana, Nature's Variety Instinct, Fromm, Merrick, and BB Wilderness.

That's why I feed mine TOTW xD I had them on Wilderness and they did horrible on it, stomach issues for the entire month they were on it. Kinda broke my heart that I spent so much money on it with so many issues. Switched them to TOTW and have had no problems. Both their coats are great. I must admit, the fact it was made by Diamond put me off, but whatever works for my pups I have to go with.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 1:56 pm

My dogs wouldn't eat TOTW after they were given the Wilderness Salmon - I then attempted to go back to the TOTW, due to cost and they wouldn't eat it.

Switched to Acana - which is the best in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 2:21 pm

Well base on the food analysis TOTW has 2 6 star rated kibbles when only Blue only has 1 6 star rated kibble, the Salmon one. Money is and isn't a big issue. Hahaha. It's hard to explain. So we can afford BBW or TOTW and rotate between those. Orijen is beyond out of the question. As college students we think we are giving our pup a very good food for the money. All companies have recalls at some time Diamond just needs toget their shit together. So right now I am having samples of TOTW sent to my house and we are going to see how she does I mean it can't hurt and if she likes it we will buy that as well. If there is another recall switch back to BBW.

I think it is best to find what works for your bank account and your pup. There will always be mixed reviews and it's hard to see which is better and which not. Some have problems with the recalls and some have problem with Blue running a sketchy business. No matter what there will never be an absolute amazing food. Just do your research and you find a food that works best run with it.

Edit And IMO all that matters is that my pup gets a good food not the company it comes from. Because I am sure a lot of companies are bad in ways we just don't see even the ones everyone says are the best.

Last edited by anastasiya'smom on Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 2:22 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
My dogs wouldn't eat TOTW after they were given the Wilderness Salmon - I then attempted to go back to the TOTW, due to cost and they wouldn't eat it.

Switched to Acana - which is the best in my opinion.

I had the opposite problem! XD It took me FOREVER to get them to eat Wilderness, but now I have the handfeed Yuki on TOTW because she wants to eat it all in a second! And Cloud eats TOTW without any persuasion, but he at least takes his time while eating Razz
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 2:58 pm

anastasiya'smom wrote:
Well base on the food analysis TOTW has 2 6 star rated kibbles when only Blue only has 1 6 star rated kibble, the Salmon one. Money is and isn't a big issue. Hahaha. It's hard to explain. So we can afford BBW or TOTW and rotate between those. Orijen is beyond out of the question. As college students we think we are giving our pup a very good food for the money. All companies have recalls at some time Diamond just needs toget their shit together. So right now I am having samples of TOTW sent to my house and we are going to see how she does I mean it can't hurt and if she likes it we will buy that as well. If there is another recall switch back to BBW.

I think it is best to find what works for your bank account and your pup. There will always be mixed reviews and it's hard to see which is better and which not. Some have problems with the recalls and some have problem with Blue running a sketchy business. No matter what there will never be an absolute amazing food. Just do your research and you find a food that works best run with it.

Edit And IMO all that matters is that my pup gets a good food not the company it comes from. Because I am sure a lot of companies are bad in ways we just don't see even the ones everyone says are the best.

The best food possible depends greatly.on the manufacturer...
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 3:10 pm

I agree with Megan. If a food manufacturer does not have ethical practices, it reflects in the quality of the food. I've has to talk to a Blue rep on the phone before to get info on a diet for one of our patients. He called me rude and disrespectful because I called him out for dancing around the question and not giving a straight answer. I handed the phone to the vet and he finally got the answer after about 10 mins of talking in circles with this guy. We just need a specific percentage. Totally turned me off from the brand,
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Megan The point I was trying to make is that EVERY manufacturer has their own problems. None of them are perfect so technically all manufacturers are bad. Because they all mess up at some point. Some just maybe better than others. But once again this is all just my opinion. I am not trying to be rude and I hope I am not coming off this way but it's all based on personal preference and what works best for your dog.
Back to top Go down
anastasiya'smom
Adult
Adult
anastasiya'smom

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 3:23 pm

hypers987 wrote:
I agree with Megan. If a food manufacturer does not have ethical practices, it reflects in the quality of the food. I've has to talk to a Blue rep on the phone before to get info on a diet for one of our patients. He called me rude and disrespectful because I called him out for dancing around the question and not giving a straight answer. I handed the phone to the vet and he finally got the answer after about 10 mins of talking in circles with this guy. We just need a specific percentage. Totally turned me off from the brand,

I am referring more to recalls not rude customer service because I would do the same based on that. My point is just everyone makes mistakes recall wise. They do it with human food as well.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Not really - I mean, not in the way Diamond does.

Look, you can feed your food. I am not tryign to tell you not to, but I want others to know and be educated about their manufacturers.

For example, I would feed Dr. Tim's over TOTW simply because i know exactly where its manufactured and sourced and I have spoken with Tim personally and he is more than willing to answer my questions.

Personally, I prefer Champion pet foods - yes they have had a recall. But NOTHING even remotely like Diamond.

I feed raw now for a reason because i don't trust pet food companies.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? EmptySat Nov 03, 2012 3:43 pm

While other brands have had minor recalls, like Diamond with the salmonella warning for humans, Blue has had more serious recalls, the last one being an increase in vitamin D, which the wilderness chicken was affected by. Dogs that had sensitivities to that vitamin got VERY sick from it. I just want the OP to be aware and do their research. Blue does not do product testing before releasing out to the public, your dog is the test subject. (dog food laws do not require product food trials in the US before distribution). Like I said, research and try and be as informed as possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????   blue - Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ????? Empty

Back to top Go down

Blue Buffalo wilderness puppy food ?????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next