It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

Male Join date : 2012-10-15

Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy Empty
PostSubject: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 1:48 pm

When I got Kodi from the breeder, he was on Purina Puppy Chow. I tried to keep him on it at the beginning but after about a week of constant diarrhea, the vet recommended moving him over to Royal Canine. That coupled with some meds cleared up the diarrhea and stools went pretty normal.

However, shortly after I saw a post recommending DogFoodAdvisor. There, I saw that the RC Large Breed Puppy was a 3 star food. I looked around and decided to try out BW Puppy due to 5-star rating, price & availability in my area. I switched slowly over two and a half weeks and the stools stayed reasonably normal. However, after a few weeks I am at a point where I cannot possibly take the gas any longer! drunken

Because he and I spend so much time in my office during the day, the entire office smells like a public bathroom at a mexican restaurant. pale He tends to pass it mostly while he sleeps -- unfortunately he likes to sleep right below my chair and I'm the victim of his frequent "outbursts."

I know everyone's results are different... But I am looking for any recommendations from others who experienced gas on BW Puppy. I prefer to stick to the 5-star dry -- hopefully anything that is reasonable to find at local pet stores (mom & pop and PetSmart are close by). Price is not a problem, but I would like the best bang for the buck. Right now, I am considering Acana (based on google searches on the prob & DFA rating) or I may just make the jump to Orijen.

Any advice or suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://about.me/kevinsutton
cmanding
Nutrition Subject Moderator
cmanding

Female Join date : 2010-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 1:58 pm

I am a big fan of Orijen. Both of my furbabies are on Orijen (and half Honest Kitchen) and neither of them have bad gas. I don't even know when they fart! (I work from home so I spend a lot of time with them.)

Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 1:59 pm

I wouldn't stick with a food that causes gas either. If it were me, I'd try either Orijen, Acana, or Fromm and see how it goes. The thing with food is that every dog is different so it's really all about trial and error.

Hope you get it resolved soon!

Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:28 pm

+1 for orijen or Acana.

But, may I ask which one you are feeding? My male had that issue on chicken, but when we switxhed to salmon it was fine.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:28 pm

I know a lot of people don't like it because its from Diamond, but Cloud and Yuki are on taste of the wild. Yuki did horrible on wilderness (oh lord don't remind me!) but she's been completely fine on TOTW. Anyway its your decision ultimately, whatever works best ^-^
Back to top Go down
blueeyedghost
Maverick
blueeyedghost

Female Join date : 2011-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 2:43 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
+1 for orijen or Acana.

But, may I ask which one you are feeding? My male had that issue on chicken, but when we switxhed to salmon it was fine.

I'm pretty sure the only Wilderness puppy formula is chicken based. We have big issues with chicken based foods causing gas with both Lulu and Ghost, and some good friends of ours have problems with their dogs as well. All the foods that people have been suggesting are great, and Ghost does really well on TOTW Pacific Stream. Definitely try to get sample sized bags, a lot of the higher quality food companies will do that. TOTW will mail you several sample bags (a mix of their flavors), and you will know pretty quick even on a sample bag if it's going to cause issues. We went through that with the High Prairie formula of TOTW, and after 2 feedings backed off because Ghost could peel the paint off our walls Razz

Canine Hydrocephalus Support on Facebook

"Being the parent of a special-needs pet means living your life constantly poised on the edge of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you become a fierce defender of the ways in which your little one is perfectly ordinary — all the things he or she can do that are just like what everybody else does. And yet, you never lose sight of how absolutely extraordinary that very ordinariness is, how difficult, remarkable and rewarding that fight to be 'just like everybody else' has been."  -Gwen Cooper, "Homer's Odyssey"

Shadow - 03/01/2013 - 10/02/2014

Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy 85ced801-eef9-49ab-a499-d82fe0067cd7_zps64d8039a
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 3:04 pm

You are right... I never fed the puppy because the ratios are all the same for adult.
Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 4:13 pm

mheath0429 wrote:
I have been using BW Puppy. I bought a bag of Salmon last week to add a little different flavor every now & then (just mix a small handful in occasionally -- once or twice a week). The gas has gotten worse over the past few weeks but doesn't seem to change on days when I don't add Salmon vs. when I do. I've only done it twice so far.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 10:16 pm

http://www.naturalpetfooddeliveryatlanta.com/

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/natures-select-grain-free/ (4 1/2 stars)

Plus they are more then proud to tell you they've never had a recall.
Back to top Go down
perspichaos
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 6:15 pm

As others have said, Orijen and TOTW are wonderful. I feed Blue Wilderness Salmon (but wouldn't if I ran into flatulence).

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that you should (typically) avoid foods which are sold as puppy foods. Often times (though I can't personally speak towards Blue) the balance of nutrients is manipulated in order to stimulate faster growth. This can lead to weird bone and joint problems that don't manifest themselves until later in life. For example, you can run into situations where legs grow to different lengths by half an inch or so, or joints that aren't perfect fits for the bones they sit, or muscles being slightly the wrong size for the bones they attach to. None of these are serious, but can exacerbate future problems such as arthritis.
Back to top Go down
hypers987
Senior
Senior
hypers987

Female Join date : 2011-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 6:38 pm

Actually puppy food helps puppies grow slower, especially large breed puppy food. It also has the appropriate calcium:phosphorus ratio. Either puppy or all life stages. I'm sure that small to medium breeds would be fine when fed adult food, but large breeds such as German shepherds, bull mastifs, great Danes, etc. need a large breed puppy food to prevent joints from developing too fast.
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/kalethehusky
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 6:58 pm

Brooke is right - SOME adult foods can be fed, ut only if the ratio is correct. Claudia and Val can help with that information. I believe it is 1.5:1 Ca:Ph

Back to top Go down
perspichaos
Newborn
Newborn

Male Join date : 2012-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Interesting. I was told the opposite from 2 different vets, but this was several years ago. The vets could have been mistaken, or perhaps manufacturers changed their formulae to no longer encourage growth. I'll have to look into this some more.

After some research, TOTW and BBW appear to differ only by the Ca:Ph ratio and marginally in protein content. I stand corrected.

Back to top Go down
ksutton
Puppy
Puppy
ksutton

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 7:04 pm

So, I went on a hunt for Orijen or Acana -- neither were to be found at my local stores. I was told it was more of a regional thing and they could order Orijen if I wanted it. The mom & pop store recommended Earthborn. I came back to do my research and saw it was a 5-star on DFA. I also came across the other thread raving over how well it was working for others, so I gave it a try.

I made a total transition overnight. I had some pro-pectalin in case of any stomach issues, but didn't even need to use it. They only had bison & lamb in stock -- I sampled and he took to the bison a little better but still wasn't crazy about it. I asked them to order in the Coastal Catch flavor and he absolutely LOVES it! Overall, I am very pleased with the Earthborn CC. Price is comparable to BW plus they also have the buy 10, get 1 free deal here too.

Funny thing is... I have been out of commission the past 24 hours with strep, so my wife was on puppy duty. She accidentally fed him the BW for one meal and he was gassy right away. Must be waaaaay too rich for his system.

As always, thanks to everyone for the great advice! Another great find!!!
Back to top Go down
Balonsmom
Senior
Senior
Balonsmom

Female Join date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyThu Nov 15, 2012 7:16 pm

My experience with Orijen was terrible, Balon had terrible runs on that food and would not touch Acana! I donated what was left to the shelter. Never tried TOTW but he has done really well on Blue Wilderness Salmon, or Duck. I rotate between the two with no issues, no gas, no runs! But like us they are individuals, I have a friend who has her husky on Iams and he does great with that believe it or not, he has a really nice coat on it too, go figure!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy EmptyFri Nov 16, 2012 10:54 am

mheath0429 wrote:
Brooke is right - SOME adult foods can be fed, ut only if the ratio is correct. Claudia and Val can help with that information. I believe it is 1.5:1 Ca:Ph

Close, ideally for small to medium breeds you're shooting for a Ca:P ratio of 1.2:1. Since the Siberian is a medium breed I would be looking for a ratio closer to that.

For large breeds you want a ratio closer to 1.5:1. The sibe is not a large breed so a higher ratio is not what I would be looking for. However if, for example, you were looking at an excellent puppy food for a normal size Siberian puppy that had a 1.5:1 Ca:P ratio then I would not pass it up in favor of a lower quality food that had a 1.2:1 Ca:P ratio. But if you were considering two comparable high quality puppy foods for a normal size Siberian husky puppy and one had a ratio of 1.5:1 and the other 1.2:1 then I would definitely opt for the 1.2:1 ratio. I know it's not normally that cut and dry so I would definitely opt for the food that is closer to 1.2:1 if possible.

PostSubject: Re: Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy   Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy Empty

Back to top Go down

Gassy on Blue Wilderness Puppy

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1