It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Pork chop bones safe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

Pork chop bones safe? Empty
PostSubject: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Are they safe for dogs to eat?
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 8:49 am

I wouldn´t feed them pork, it is not good for dogs
Back to top Go down
Kick
Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 9:15 am

SiberianAnubis wrote:
I wouldn´t feed them pork, it is not good for dogs

Uhm, pork is fine? Not sure where you get information from, but my sources say pork is a good source of food for a dog.

If you meant pork bones, then maybe not. I know ribs are fine, not sure about chops. I just de-boned mine and feed it with chicken backs
Back to top Go down
Garebear
Teenager
Teenager
Garebear

Male Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 9:37 am

That sounds right. The bones seem much denser and harder than chicken bones. I just figured I'd ask before I fed the chop with the bone.
Back to top Go down
SiberianAnubis
Adult
Adult
SiberianAnubis

Male Join date : 2010-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 10:32 am

Several vets told me to not feed pork and I hav enever seen dog food with pork.
I also knew a dog that develped incontinence after eating a bone with parma ham on it.

Í don´t know if this also goes for just feeding the bones, I was just saying that I would not give it to my dog.
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Resident Nutritional Bookworm
Huskyluv

Female Join date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 11:24 am

Pork is absolutely safe and fine to give to dogs. Pork is a very common meat fed in PMR diets. I feed my sibe raw pork all the time, although I stick more to pork ribs than any other part of the pig. Most people I know do not feed pork chop bones unless they chop off the sharp tip. Some people feed pork chop bones with no issue. I am more of a better safe than sorry type, so when it comes to pork chop I'd just cut out the meat, feed that, and toss out the bone.

Dennis, there are at least several different manufactured dog foods that have pork as the protein source. Off the top of my head I can think of Grandma Lucy's Artisan Pork, By Nature Pork & Sweet Potato, and Back to Basics Pork formula.

Newborn
Newborn
Kick

Male Join date : 2012-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Several Vets look at me with disgust when I tell them I feed a raw diet. Too bad I don't give a ____

Vets still have a long way to go before a majority of them becomes trustworthy. I just pity them because they do not know any better and/or they do not even bother doing any research.

Wild boar is what you do not want to feed. Pork is fine, wild boar is not due to them carrying a parasite. I am pretty sure you confused them.

Our dogs can eat a plethora of things:
Venison
Pork
Chicken
Turkey
Cornish Hens
Emu
Beef
Fish

You get the point...
Back to top Go down
jaysen_
Newborn
Newborn

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 3:55 am

I just bought pork spare ribs from the supermarket, and when I inspected it, the bones look too big, jagged and dense. Is it really safe to feed this to a 6-month old husky? Or should I debone it instead?
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 8:54 am

I don't know about for a puppy, but I feed them to my adult sibe. When in doubt I would err on the side of caution.

Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 9:01 am

My female is about the size of a 6 month old husky and she eats pork ribs like a champ. I would just sit and monitor her while she eats it if you are worried, and remove it if you still feel uncomfortable while she is working on it.
Back to top Go down
Here4thePics
Comedic Relief

Male Join date : 2009-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 12:38 pm

My Pork chop bones safe? 2144500265 I don't give bones of any kind especially ones that have been cooked. If your dog ever goes thru an episode of impacted intestinal system from bones or raw-hides you'll never feed them those goods again.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 6:37 am

I was just wandering about this...I have some ribs in my freezer that me and the hubby wont eat (well he wont because as he says "I don't like to work for my food") and I was thinking of giving them to Karli. Now she gets Blue Buffalo puppy chow and loves it, but would it be bad if I gave her an occasional chicken leg or pork rib as well? And would I have to start off with the chicken or give her the pork rib now?

P.S. If I need to start a new topic let me know!!
Back to top Go down
Huskyluv
Huskyluv

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptySat Dec 29, 2012 10:17 am

cinnamonbits wrote:
I was just wandering about this...I have some ribs in my freezer that me and the hubby wont eat (well he wont because as he says "I don't like to work for my food") and I was thinking of giving them to Karli.

Cook it right so that it falls off the bone and you can enjoy ribs that you don't have to work for! Wink

cinnamonbits wrote:
Now she gets Blue Buffalo puppy chow and loves it, but would it be bad if I gave her an occasional chicken leg or pork rib as well? And would I have to start off with the chicken or give her the pork rib now?

That should be perfectly fine assuming the meat agrees with her.

Teenager
Teenager
Huskydad

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 5:21 pm

cinnamonbits wrote:
I was just wandering about this...I have some ribs in my freezer that me and the hubby wont eat (well he wont because as he says "I don't like to work for my food") !

LOL, I guess he doesn't cook then!!

I wasn't sure about feeding pork but it is good to know that you can. I will add that to my list.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pork chop bones safe?   Pork chop bones safe? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pork chop bones safe?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1