It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

Female Join date : 2012-06-26

People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! Empty
PostSubject: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 6:48 am

I am losing control with explaining to my friends that a husky and a malamute is two different breeds. They keep comparing Titus, the husky and Lycan, the malamute, saying that I underfed Titus and that he has to gain more weight. Titus is currently 70lbs and looks skinny when comparing to Lycan which is 82lbs at 6 months old 2 weeks old. But Lycan is a Malamute!! Can't people get that? Titus is hardly skinny even if he lost some weight recently. I don't think a 70lbs full husky would be considered as skinny or underfed

Anyone that has a mal and a husky had the same issue? How will I make them understand?
Back to top Go down
ramoscl
Teenager
Teenager
ramoscl

Female Join date : 2012-09-06

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 6:51 am

oh just tell them titus in a miniature malamute Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 8:55 am

I just wouldn't bother wasting more of my time trying to explain. If your dog is is good health and they are just uneducated and unable to grasp the simple facts, there's no need to prove yourself.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 8:56 am

It just makes me mad each time they see Titus they commented on how skinny he is compared to Lycan.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 9:39 am

ramoscl wrote:
oh just tell them titus in a miniature malamute Twisted Evil
hahaha, pretty funny ^^
I wouldn't be surprised if they believe it!

Titus is such a handsome boy, some people feel like they need to give their opinion when they have no clue what they're talking about.. we can all see that he's a happy and healthy boy! Try to laugh it off, some people will just never understand! Smile
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 am

Koda use to weigh 37lbs (now 52.3) and at the dog park and doggy daycare other owners would ask me if I feed him. It was very frustrating at first, but then I just started getting smart with people or ignoring them completely. It's very rude to pretty much tell someone they starve their dog (Koda was going through a severe allergy/sensitivity phase and got sick off every food I tried). I know it's hard, but just blow it off. "I feed my dog adequately and he's healthy, no need for concern."
Back to top Go down
26nikita
Senior
Senior

Female Join date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 12:15 pm

My first dog was super fluffy so he looked much bigger than he was and I had a COP tell me she was glad he looked healthy because she sees too many underfed huskies! I tried to explain to her that some huskies are meant to be super lean but she just gave me alook like I didn't know what I was talking about. I was glad Willow was in the house when she saw Dakota cause she would have considered Willow underfed. My sister in law has pretty much accused me of starving my Willow and Piper because they didn't look like Dakota. Yeah, that makes sense to feed one dog and starve others. People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! 1625187496 I finally explained to her the difference in show vs racing lines. She seemed to get it then.
Back to top Go down
taveraw
Puppy
Puppy

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 12:35 pm

Really, I did not know the difference between a Husky and a Mal when we first started looking, I had no ideas that Mal's even existed. A new neighbor moved into a corner house and we saw their dog. I thought he was a big husky and knocked on their door asking how they got him to not jump the fence (since it is a corner and the side is completely unprotected etc.

He quickly corrected me that his was a Mal and less likely to jump. So, yes, I was that dummy too. Beautiful dog though!

Commenting about fluffy, my friend keeps talking about how small Neeka is and can't believe that she should only be about 50 - 60 lbs. They look so much bigger. Then she tells everyone that they look huge because Huskys are always really fluffy (like wolly's). Ummmmmm.... usually not. But I just let her go.
Back to top Go down
Koda
Ms. Amicable
Koda

Female Join date : 2009-05-20

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 12:59 pm

I find people tend to shut up when I start rattling off facts to them. People ask me ALL THE TIME if Hailey is a puppy. So I tell them, "Nope, she's the same age as Koda. She is just at the low-end of the female standard and Koda is at the high end. Females are only supposed to be between 45-55lbs and males top out at 60-65 lbs." When people realize that I know more about huskies than they do-- they usually put a lid on it. And with smart phones nowadays... if they don't believe me, I simply go to the AKC website and show them.

People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! Hailey10
Back to top Go down
libbybell74
Adult
Adult
libbybell74

Female Join date : 2011-10-06

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 1:36 pm

As Libby has gotten older she has filled out more and this makes Lucy look so skinny especially since she blew her coat. She is shorter and much stronger than Libby thoug. I get the comments all the time and I usually say she is perfect for a husky. She has food down at all times and eats when she is hungry.
Some people are just ignorant and assume they know it all.
Libby is probably about 48lbs now after adding a few and Lucy is right around 43lbs. They are within range and are healthy.
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 2:20 pm

Oh my gosh EVERY time I'm talking to anyone about Yuki, whether at the pet store or dog park, the first question is always 'wow shes going to get to 80 pounds or so isnt she?!' and I have to explain to them 'erm, nope, she'll probably only get 45 pounds' and then they look at me with disbelief and I try to tell them that the big 80 pound dogs are malamutes, but they don't believe me because there are three huge siberians owned by different people that frequent the dog park here that look the size of malamutes so of course, so I must be wrong XD It's always a losing fight for me, but in the end I'm happy with knowing Yuki is fed the right amount and will grow to a standard weight. But I admit, its extremely frustrating hearing the same questions every single time I'm out.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Since Ro is 29lbs, I had a sales person come to my door, and they saw her and asked if she was a mini. I said there is no such thing, they argued with me, I said I know what I'm talking about so buhbye and closed the door, lol.
Back to top Go down
katiesham
Adult
Adult
katiesham

Female Join date : 2012-08-08

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 2:49 pm

People just don't know what they're talking about most of the time and aren't likely to admit they're wrong.

Pippa is 10 months old and is right around 40 lbs. People tell me everywhere I go, "Oh she's only 10 months?! She's got a lot of growing left to do then! She's pretty skinny!" Rolling Eyes

I usually tell them she'll probably fill-out a little more, but that she's not skinny and then I leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 5:32 pm

LOL, I get the same thing - asking why 55 lb Frosti is so tiny and if she's going to grow. Smile Or if Chili is a malamute since he's so huge (which is understandable). I also iterate the breed standard like Tori and explain that they're both rescues and Chili could possible have a bit of mal in him or he was bred by backyard breeders out of standard. We found two strays on Thursday, same color as Frosti and so much smaller! Hubby said he could only tell them apart because Frosti was the "fat" one. LOL She should probably go down to 50 lbs-ish and hubby finally understands what a husky should look like!
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 5:45 pm

This is sooo frustrating lol. When I was in Niagara Falls visiting family, I took Cally down to her neighbors to play with their German Shepherd and burn off some energy (my sister only has chihuahas and cats) and the guy kept insisting that Cally was going to get to be at least 75-80 pounds Rolling Eyes I didn't want to get into it so I just said "nope, she will probably fill out more but won't get bigger" he kept saying it so I just left it at that. I didn't want to make him mad and then not have a play buddy for Cally. But come on- I've done my research, I know my dog and if she gets 75-80 pounds than she is extremelyy overweight lol
Back to top Go down
MayaAndSophie
Senior
Senior
MayaAndSophie

Female Join date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 5:57 pm

One lady who owns 2 huge huskies and shaves them asked why they're so small. She even asked me if i shaved Maya and Sophie. I had to explain that their coats are naturally this short and that they're not small. Maya's weighs 42lbs, Sophie's 38lbs, and Kay's about 30lbs. Maya's perfect but Sophie and Kay do need to gain some pounds. I hate it when people ask if I feed them, I'm not starving my dogs.
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 6:06 pm

Part of the reason why I went with a husky and not a mal was the size difference. I actually had someone tell me to get a mal instead because they're more loyal. I'm pretty sure my baby girl loves me just as much as any other dog would. My friend has a male doberman that she gets asked all the time if he's a greyhound because he's so thin. And she feeds him 8 cups of food a day and he's still underweight. She's embarrassed to take him to the vet because of how he looks but he's not sick, he just has the metabolism of a I don't know what but I would love to borrow some lol. People all see what Hollywood shows them and don't bother to do the research. My hubby gave me a weight limit on a dog, she had to be in the 50lb range, that's what a female husky is, that's why I went with a husky. She is just a perfect fit all around. Some people think they know everything and they don't. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 6:36 pm

The vet we took Ro to when she was 10 weeks and I thought she had kennel cough said Rogue would AT LEAST be 50lbs. Well... not so much. That was the only time we went to that vet. She has huskies herself and told me she was ALL about nutrition which is why she feeds Pro Plan. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 pm

Robinhuskylover2231 wrote:
This is sooo frustrating lol. When I was in Niagara Falls visiting family, I took Cally down to her neighbors to play with their German Shepherd and burn off some energy (my sister only has chihuahas and cats) and the guy kept insisting that Cally was going to get to be at least 75-80 pounds Rolling Eyes I didn't want to get into it so I just said "nope, she will probably fill out more but won't get bigger" he kept saying it so I just left it at that. I didn't want to make him mad and then not have a play buddy for Cally. But come on- I've done my research, I know my dog and if she gets 75-80 pounds than she is extremelyy overweight lol

Next time your up visiting you can bring Cally to my house to play with Lucian. I won't say anything about her weight or size, lol.

I just love it when people don't have a clue but think they know it all. Everyone thinks Lucian is going to be huge because he has big paws. One guy at the vet asked me if he was husky or mal just because of his paws. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Robinhuskylover2231
Teenager
Teenager
Robinhuskylover2231

Female Join date : 2012-08-11

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Keyda81 wrote:

Next time your up visiting you can bring Cally to my house to play with Lucian. I won't say anything about her weight or size, lol.

I just love it when people don't have a clue but think they know it all. Everyone thinks Lucian is going to be huge because he has big paws. One guy at the vet asked me if he was husky or mal just because of his paws. Rolling Eyes

We're on the Canadian side but maybe if we visit the American I will let you know Smile
Back to top Go down
Mobezilla
Senior
Senior
Mobezilla

Female Join date : 2012-08-29

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:00 pm

Keyda81 wrote:

Same problem here. Oh! Just reminded me. We were at a dog park with my friend for a playdate, and there was a lady there who insisted to me that Yuki was going to be over 100 pounds by the size of Yuki's paws. Oh and apparently she used to show siberians that were champions at 100-120 pounds so she should know XD She had three fat labs with her and my friend muttered 'the way she feeds her dogs I wouldn't doubt it' XD I almost rolled laughing!!
Back to top Go down
cinnamonbits
Adult
Adult
cinnamonbits

Female Join date : 2012-11-03

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 pm

Quote :
Everyone thinks Lucian is going to be huge because he has big paws.
Even my vet said Karli was gonna be big based on her paws! But then my friend with dobermans said her paws were tiny. Of course my vets idea of a large dog is 40lbs and bigger. People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! 1625187496
Back to top Go down
Keyda81
Adult
Adult
Keyda81

Female Join date : 2012-09-24

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Mobezilla wrote:
Keyda81 wrote:

Same problem here. Oh! Just reminded me. We were at a dog park with my friend for a playdate, and there was a lady there who insisted to me that Yuki was going to be over 100 pounds by the size of Yuki's paws. Oh and apparently she used to show siberians that were champions at 100-120 pounds so she should know XD She had three fat labs with her and my friend muttered 'the way she feeds her dogs I wouldn't doubt it' XD I almost rolled laughing!!

100-120lbs! Shocked Holy cow! I couldn't imagine a husky that big.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 11:36 pm

We don't let it get to us at all. With a mal and a sibe pup together most people think they're both sibes and we just say no they're different breeds, the next question is invariably about the age difference as Hunter is about 5 kilos at least heavier than Mils people don't believe they're only 2 weeks apart. What you're friends think doesn't really matter in the end, you know what they are and that's what should count.
Back to top Go down
Titus&Lycan
Teenager
Teenager
Titus&Lycan

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! EmptyTue Nov 13, 2012 4:39 am

That's right! I couldn't be bother now anymore. I can probably just save the time to do something else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!   People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!! Empty

Back to top Go down

People just don't understand a husky is different from a malamute!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next