It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

chewing furniture?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ajmag
Puppy
Puppy
ajmag

Male Join date : 2011-10-26

chewing furniture? Empty
PostSubject: chewing furniture?   chewing furniture? EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 2:37 pm

i have couches with leather arms and sides and my husky just loves to chew them up, is there any way to teach her not to chew them? it seems like shes only attracted to the leather. i need new couches now anyway so i am most likely getting couches with no leather on them but dont wanna buy any until i know how to prevent her from chewing away at them..

any advice here?
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

chewing furniture? Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing furniture?   chewing furniture? EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Is she bored? Is she getting all the exercise she needs?
Back to top Go down
ajmag
Puppy
Puppy
ajmag

chewing furniture? Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing furniture?   chewing furniture? EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 6:15 pm

yeah i have a big backyard where she runs around all day on top of my daily walk/run i take her on
Back to top Go down
hollywoodhuskies
Senior
Senior
hollywoodhuskies

Female Join date : 2011-07-24

chewing furniture? Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing furniture?   chewing furniture? EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Running in a back yard is not the same as structured walks/runs. How long do you walk/run her and how many times? As well, doing training exercises mentally wears them out - it's awesome! Smile
Back to top Go down
ajmag
Puppy
Puppy
ajmag

chewing furniture? Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing furniture?   chewing furniture? EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 6:22 pm

my block is a half mile and ill take her around it two or three times
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

chewing furniture? Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing furniture?   chewing furniture? EmptyMon Nov 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Dogs vary in energy levels- some can walk very little or not at all and be fine, others need more to keep them from getting bored and entertaining themselves. I would say if she is eating your furniture, she is bored, and needs more exercise or stimulation. Her displaying these behaviors is her trying to tell you something. Generally, a dog doesn't just decide to destroy something "just because," it's an underlying issue. I would try uping the walk time or doing a second walk and seeing if it helps. A mile a day really isn't that much at all. Does she do it when you are home, or do you not crate her? I don't crate my dogs, but if they ate my furniture, I sure would. There is no point of buying a new one until you fix the issue. If she does it while you are home, try uping the exercise + making sure she has acceptable objects available to chew on. My dogs never were given the opportunity to cause messes when younger because I always kept them tired and they always had bones laying around to gnaw on.

Running around the yard really is not that tiring to a dog- in AZ, we had half an acre my male got to run around and it really didn't tire him out. He doesn't need much exercise now, but from 1-2 years old, I walked him a total of 4 miles a day along with a 2 mile run- and this was usually coupled with intense play sessions in our yard or a 6 hour day at doggy daycare. Walks are so much more exhausting to them because of the added mental stimulation with all the smells and things to explore.
Back to top Go down
Chiviri's mum
Newborn
Newborn
Chiviri's mum

Female Join date : 2012-12-16

chewing furniture? Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing furniture?   chewing furniture? EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 2:40 am

Training wise, many will tell you too tell him a firm "No!" and then proceed to give a a chew or toy as a substitute. I know theres bitter tasting agents you can spray on your furniture so that itll taste bad and deter him from chewing it. Lucky for me, shivas ok with 1 30-40 min walk and doesnt mind too much if I get home too late and not able. But perhaps what the others suggested, more physical/mental stimulation might help.
Back to top Go down
Freya's Mummy
Adult
Adult
Freya's Mummy

Female Join date : 2012-05-31

chewing furniture? Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing furniture?   chewing furniture? EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 am

I have heard that leather attracts them.
How old is she? Age may be playing a factor as well.

Does she have other things to keep her amused? Or to direct her chewing onto other than the furniture?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/For-the-Love-of-Readi
eddycaaa
Adult
Adult
eddycaaa

Female Join date : 2012-09-22

chewing furniture? Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing furniture?   chewing furniture? EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 3:31 am

Try spraying the leather with bitter apple. Just make sure to test in an inconspicuous area first of course to make sure it doesn't stain.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ericalynnrodriguez.net
K9_Eric
Adult
Adult
K9_Eric

Male Join date : 2012-12-06

chewing furniture? Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing furniture?   chewing furniture? EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 5:38 am

Dogs really do love leather. I have a lot oof destroyed shoes and belts and wallets to support that argument.

Bored dogs also chew couches. I have 3 couches that felt that wrath.

Redirection, as mentioned above, is important when you catch them chewing. It teaches them what they can chew when they are bored.

1mi is definitely a short walk. We do a 3.1mi (5km) walk in the morning with my three dogs, and Panzer gets another 3.1mi in the evening. Any less and she hardly sleeps.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

chewing furniture? Empty
PostSubject: Re: chewing furniture?   chewing furniture? Empty

Back to top Go down

chewing furniture?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1