It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next
AuthorMessage
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

Female Join date : 2012-11-28

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 1:16 am

also, note behind her ears is a different lighter shade of red. its the same color she was at 8 weeks old. its the only part of her that didnt change color.
Back to top Go down
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 1:27 am

Niraya heres the timeline with zizzys coat change lol

8 weeks

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Zizzyp10

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Zizzyp11

9 weeks

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Zizzyp16

12 weeks

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Zizzyf12

thats the best i got. Neutral all her puppy pics are saved on my old roommates hard drive.
Back to top Go down
Jennet&Embry
Senior
Senior
Jennet&Embry

Female Join date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 2:15 am

Here's a few to compare Zizzy with Zoey, it really creeps me out that their color change, which is so unusual, is so similar between the two.

8 weeks (she's in the middle), the very, very light red
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 166038_3248217056379_1463133258_n

4 months, she became that really dark/buff brown/red/sable color
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 33977_1496064093650_6840122_n

this was Zoey in July before she blew her coat, she was back to being very light again
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 531180_492903064057989_1229472351_n

and then Zoey back to being that buff red in September
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 271049_3620384360329_1868301424_n
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

Female Join date : 2012-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 2:36 am

I guess I will post Koda. I think he's pretty perfect, but he's my baby, soooo Razz

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 406445_2918817657799_1173445898_n

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Kooooo11

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 199976_1879062104560_5857314_n

Note that his tail is not short at all, it's swerved in the middle picture so most of it is behind what you can see.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 2:42 am

I dunno it could just be me but the color change isn't all that odd to me lol. Their coats can go through quite drastic changes throughout their entire lives but it usually slows down/stops at around 2 or 3 (every dog is different so it depends on the dog). Actually one coat change that took me by surprise was a cream/white siberian that by the time it was 6 had turned into a black/white (not jet black)

Red dogs - as was said - if left out in the sun even for just 15 minutes a day their coats begin to burn/bleach which causes the lightening of the coat. The only time (unless kept mostly indoors or shaded or protected with sunscreen) a reds coat will be it's best/richest/brightest/darkest (whatever you want to call it)right after a blow when the new coat is coming in. Red coated dogs are just notoriously hard to keep (which is the reason I will not own a red dog lol)

Also - I've seen gray puppies go through an awkward "red" phase where they are the same light coloring that both zizzy and zoey were.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
shaina&indy
Teenager
Teenager
shaina&indy

Female Join date : 2011-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 am

Alright, I'll contribute. I wasn't going to because I don't have a good stack picture at all, or any recent stack photos. Rebel is also an unusual red. He has triple banded guard hairs and a beige undercoat. I call him a dark copper. He's a red dirty face.

Free stack at 3.5 months
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EE472F35-80EC-4825-987C-DE53D289C1B4-19220-000010653753DDE9

4.5 months
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 File-2

He isn't stacked properly, but at 5 months this was a free stack.
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 2CEBD1CE-C4C7-4A03-A67D-43EB06C51F48-1082-00000053776C62AE

His head:

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 B0E0FA6F-94EC-47D4-8696-0DF9A970C77E-547-0000002DF84D5FBE

6 months
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 90E580AC-67C1-48BA-957D-2E3FAA6A134C-547-0000002D81A05451

6 months
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 85A04247-DA53-4018-8BE2-130C2B207E10-547-0000002D6ABF0746

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 AFD1CA70-FDA5-438E-990F-3F740BD60747-547-0000002E110E2991

Faults: Short muzzle, dome head, large ears (still needs to grow into his ears), slightly straight front, short tail, weak pasterns (though getting better with some exercises!), short neck.
Back to top Go down
HuskyMom09
Senior
Senior
HuskyMom09

Female Join date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 5:25 am

I'll contribute a few starting with Denali. Denali is a dilute wolf gray male now 2 years old. He is of slow developing lines (which I prefer) and is currently working in harness on a 5 dog team.

His stop, chest are my favorite *show* features about him, his biggest *show* fault is he is still developing and tends to be a bit 'two-pieced' in movement at times and he carries his tail high which is a juvenile male thing more than structural. Though in harness his movement is very fluid, he's got a nice length of leg and a nice croup to allow powerful drive and good trail speed.

15mos *free stack*
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 429600_270724629662439_1820073622_n

17mos
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 548767_355075537894014_1472483785_n

18mos
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 488323_364471103621124_202489018_n

22mos
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 282366_389430137791887_1195243542_n

23mos
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 46229_401930419875192_1829179634_n

Movement-

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 531279_355046084563626_1885318791_n

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 168514_352052938196274_1310378615_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.keahisiberianhuskies.com
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 9:51 am

Rebel is seriously drop dead gorgeous!

Last edited by Heather! on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 12:11 pm

Niraya wrote:
I dunno it could just be me but the color change isn't all that odd to me lol. Their coats can go through quite drastic changes throughout their entire lives but it usually slows down/stops at around 2 or 3 (every dog is different so it depends on the dog). Actually one coat change that took me by surprise was a cream/white siberian that by the time it was 6 had turned into a black/white (not jet black)

Red dogs - as was said - if left out in the sun even for just 15 minutes a day their coats begin to burn/bleach which causes the lightening of the coat. The only time (unless kept mostly indoors or shaded or protected with sunscreen) a reds coat will be it's best/richest/brightest/darkest (whatever you want to call it)right after a blow when the new coat is coming in. Red coated dogs are just notoriously hard to keep (which is the reason I will not own a red dog lol)

Also - I've seen gray puppies go through an awkward "red" phase where they are the same light coloring that both zizzy and zoey were.

zizzys been blowing her coat and it does appear to be getting just a little bit darker. ive never actually noticed any lightening though since she had her coat change. this is her first coat blow. i knew her coat would turn red though because at 8 weeks her tail was dark red. but i do have a theory of her turning grey.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

Female Join date : 2012-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 12:31 pm

I can't thank you guys enough for this thread! Showing is something I really really want to get into and it was so helpful to see all your dogs next to each other to compare their strengths and weaknesses. I plan on attending shows to learn more but this was definitely a good learning experience!
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

Female Join date : 2012-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 1:01 pm

calliegirl08 wrote:
I can't thank you guys enough for this thread! Showing is something I really really want to get into and it was so helpful to see all your dogs next to each other to compare their strengths and weaknesses. I plan on attending shows to learn more but this was definitely a good learning experience!

I agree with all of this!!!

Back in the day I used to sit at ringside and eavesdrop on the old timers (different breed), but this is way super helpful.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

Female Join date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 4:27 pm

I really thi9nk Zizzy is a red - 100%. I highly, highly doubt she will end up grey. At times, little grey pups will have a red buffing in the face and other parts of the body, but it always fades and stays as buffing and burning (typically this signifies red genes somewhere in the lines) but that dog is still just a grey. This happened with Cato.

Here is as a pup, notice in all his other pictures this coloring is gone.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Catored
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/mheath2
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 5:23 pm

okay.. I got a few pics of Nanook. He is right in the middle of blowing his coat, so he looks really terrible! He has no clue about stacking and the collar he's in is all wrong for pics.
Background: He's an adult rescue, neutered, too tall (24" was what I measured, but he was more interested in grabbing the yardstick lol)

His face: His muzzle looks kind of 'off' to me. Ears set too wide? (more noticeable in my signature pic)
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 2012-12-03_13-27-33_114
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 2012-12-03_13-28-17_566

Standing (I won't even try to call that a stack.. (probably should have had some bait in my pocket. lol) Probably plenty to fault here... To my untrained eye it seems like too much angulation in the rear, front pasterns look weak (plus his nails need trimmed), topline seems "soft" (maybe that because I'm used to sporting breeds??)
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 2012-12-03_13-45-00_404

This is from a month ago. I'm including it because he wasn't showing any tail in the prior pic. Tail too short? Fyi, he does seem to carry it well when he's excited (up but not curled)
Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 2012-11-03_14-47-11_413
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 5:32 pm

When his tail is up, is it like sickle-shaped? That'd be good enough!

To my untrained eye, I think he has a beautiful stop!
Back to top Go down
Eresh
Adult
Adult
Eresh

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 pm

calliegirl08 wrote:
When his tail is up, is it like sickle-shaped? That'd be good enough!

To my untrained eye, I think he has a beautiful stop!

Yes, it curves some, but only when he sees a squirrel or something equally exciting.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 5:50 pm

I think his tail would be fine. I only know standard based on reading the written standard so I'm not a pro but I think as long as it curves, it's fine. Like (on page 3, too lazy to go look for everyone's pics) Cheyenne's and Denali's tails curve slightly when alert. Like Jennet mentioned, you don't want the tail to curve too much or it's actually a fault.
Back to top Go down
Heather!
Senior
Senior
Heather!

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 8:07 pm

His tail doesn't look short in the last photo, but I also can't see it in its entirety. Koda almost always has his tail down unless he's stimulated by something/super excited.
Back to top Go down
Husky mum
Teenager
Teenager
Husky mum

Female Join date : 2012-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 10:39 pm

Has anyone got any pointers on how to "stack" for a photo, I've never tried before and would really like to get some opinions on Milla.
Back to top Go down
Niraya
Breeding Subject Moderator
Niraya

Female Join date : 2011-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 12:25 am

mheath0429 wrote:
(typically this signifies red genes somewhere in the lines)
I don't know of you are meaning to imply this Megan - but the buffing is no indicator of the dog being a carrier of the red gene or even having red dogs in his or her pedigree. Genetics doesn't work like that. And the only way to "prove" a dog is a carrier of the red gene (if it isn't a red) would be to breed it to a red as there is no test for it.

By that statement any dog that has buffing would be a red carrier.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Oil_pa11
Back to top Go down
zizzuki
Puppy
Puppy
zizzuki

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 12:56 am

mheath0429 wrote:
I really thi9nk Zizzy is a red - 100%. I highly, highly doubt she will end up grey. At times, little grey pups will have a red buffing in the face and other parts of the body, but it always fades and stays as buffing and burning (typically this signifies red genes somewhere in the lines) but that dog is still just a grey. This happened with Cato.

Here is as a pup, notice in all his other pictures this coloring is gone.

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Catored

well just saying, zizzy was that buff color as well as a pup. and she has a buff undercoat. and in some lighting you can really see grey in her. so its just a theory. but i will see as she ages more. shes still just a pup, so who knows. i would like for her to become more red. but most people who meet her adore her coloring cause its so rarely seen.
Back to top Go down
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 12:59 am

Niraya wrote:
mheath0429 wrote:
(typically this signifies red genes somewhere in the lines)
I don't know of you are meaning to imply this Megan - but the buffing is no indicator of the dog being a carrier of the red gene or even having red dogs in his or her pedigree. Genetics doesn't work like that. And the only way to "prove" a dog is a carrier of the red gene (if it isn't a red) would be to breed it to a red as there is no test for it.

By that statement any dog that has buffing would be a red carrier.

hmm that was something I had been told! Apparently, that would be a dingbat moment.
Back to top Go down
SaraB
Rescue Subject Moderator
SaraB

Female Join date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 1:53 am

Husky mum wrote:
Has anyone got any pointers on how to "stack" for a photo, I've never tried before and would really like to get some opinions on Milla.

I use a slightly different method, but this gives the point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYM6qIlOUdM&feature=plcp

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Woowoosig
Back to top Go down
http://www.thestormbornreef.com/
mbarnard0429
Senior
Senior
mbarnard0429

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 am

People are gonna hate me for this - but I encourage begging with my dogs. I teach them "watch" and they close their mouth, with ears alert and stand pretty until they get food. I spend a lot of time free baiting.
Back to top Go down
calliegirl08
Teenager
Teenager
calliegirl08

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 11:42 am

Aha! I love the second shot!
Back to top Go down
GalacticPup
Puppy
Puppy
GalacticPup

Female Join date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 9:34 pm

What an interesting and educational thread! I really enjoy seeing the stacked photos of everyone's dogs. I've always had an interest in showing (I'm very familiar with Cardigan Welsh Corgi conformation, as I worked with the breed years back) but I am just learning when it comes to husky conformation!

May I participate even though my girl is a mixed breed? Just for fun Wink Structurally I feel she is built very similar to a purebred husky... but with the red color and black mask of a chow chow!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)    Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)  - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Conformation - A Realistic Look at Sibes and their faults :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 27Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15 ... 27  Next