It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for owners of the Siberian Husky.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterRegisterLog in
Congratulations Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne!, our November HOTM winners! HOTM Will Be Taking An Indefinite Break!
Husky of the Month
Congrats Nikita, Archer, and Cheyanne,
our November HOTM Winners!
Husky Cuddles!

Thanks to all for this month's entries!
Forum Rules
1. Here we prefer clarity to agreement. Obviously not everyone is going to agree on a topic; here we prefer to talk out our differences in a respectful manner to ensure mutual understanding and respect.
2. Read the Stickies and Announcements. Each sub-forum may have specific rules which trump the Forum Rules in cases where there may be conflicting information. Read the rules of each board before you post so that you are clear on the expectations of the staff.
3. Respect ALL Staff and Admins. These people volunteer of their time and MUST be respected as well as their word adhered to. They are responsible for maintaining a free, open, clear and organized forum. Anyone found to be openly undermining any official ruling by a staff member will be warned.
4. Signatures: One picture only and no links. Images: To keep the forum looking neat and tidy, we ask that members insert just one picture only in their signatures. The picture should be no more than 200x500 pixels and should be of an appropriate subject, for example, your dogs and their names. Should you need assistance creating an appropriate signature, please PM an Admin and we would be happy to help! This is to ensure that signatures remain a welcome addition to our forum instead of a cumbersome distraction. Links: Hyperlinks in signatures--unless to a personal blog or photo stream of your dogs (like Flckr or Piscasa, for example)--are strictly prohibited. Please PM a staff member with any questions or concerns regarding this rule.
Rescue Spotlight
Our current rescue spotlight is:

Delaware Valley Siberian Husky Rescue!

Top Dog Website Award Winner!

Top Website
for
Siberian

Huskys

QR Pet Tag?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

QR Pet Tag? Empty
PostSubject: QR Pet Tag?   QR Pet Tag? EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 11:31 pm

I don't know if anyone has these, and if they work or not, but I figured I'd post anyways.

It's a dog tag with a QR code in case your pup gets lost or something. Doesn't really help in the event of a dognapping or if the collar isn't on, but I figure it's cheap and worth a shot, in addition to microchipping. Can't be too safe, right?

https://doggyloot.com/deals/2803-9-dollars-for-one-pet-qr-tag-normlly-a-26-dollars-value/buy#buy

If anyone is interested, you can use the friend referal link:
https://doggyloot.com/invite/4cd43469
and get a $5 credit, making the final price $4 with free shipping. Might be worth a shot for the price of a coffee.

Plus, I get credits to spend too Wink lol

Or, if anyone has tried these, let me know how they work?

-edit- Wait...I guess if they're wearing their tags anyways though..huh, maybe not as useful as I thought 3 minutes ago.
Back to top Go down
Kelli0713
Teenager
Teenager
Kelli0713

Female Join date : 2013-02-16

QR Pet Tag? Empty
PostSubject: Re: QR Pet Tag?   QR Pet Tag? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 4:17 am

I bought a QR tag on Amazon a few days ago, thought it was a really neat idea. Hope it was worth the month, I think it was around $11.
Back to top Go down
SLB
Puppy
Puppy
SLB

Female Join date : 2013-02-21

QR Pet Tag? Empty
PostSubject: Re: QR Pet Tag?   QR Pet Tag? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 6:19 am

Wouldn't you have to have the right equipment to scan it?
See if I found your dog then I wouldn't be able too because I don't have it. Which renders them as useful as microchips when a stranger finds your dog... (unless I'm looking at the wrong thing, for some reason the link won't work for me.)

Over here they would be deemed illegal tags. Our tags have to have our name, address, postcode and telephone number on. My dogs have two; one with my details on and one with their vets. That way if someone is nearer the vets or my dog has been in an accident they can be taken there then I can be notified and get there etc.

I have these tags:

http://www.collarsandtags.co.uk/dog-tags-embossed-tags-c-80.html

They're embossed so the writing never rubs off like it would with engraved. They're hard wearing - which is good when you have a dog that enters cover and bombs about at 200mph all the time.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Senior
Senior
Dot

Female Join date : 2012-10-25

QR Pet Tag? Empty
PostSubject: Re: QR Pet Tag?   QR Pet Tag? EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 7:19 am

It just requires a QR reader app on a smartphone, there are lots of free ones.
Anyway, I got it for $4 and got $10 free credits (made my parents order it lol), so it was a win for me either way.
It's a cute idea, not sure how practical, and the tag doesn't hold up too well. Still, my phone can read it so I'm not sure how much it matters. Like I edited on my original post, if they have it on, they'll have their regular tags on so not really helpful lol.
However, you do make a profile for your animal, and it has a picture, weight, breed, color, special needs, etc. on it, as well as a status (eg. at home, lost+last seen, etc.). It's just extra info.
I'm not sure I'd reccomend it, but I made $6 toward bully sticks. And since I have it, she does wear it.

Last edited by Dot on Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jbrown1028
Puppy
Puppy
jbrown1028

Male Join date : 2013-08-05

QR Pet Tag? Empty
PostSubject: Re: QR Pet Tag?   QR Pet Tag? EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:22 am

I use tagg.com gps system, I really love it.
Back to top Go down
jbrown1028
Puppy
Puppy
jbrown1028

Male Join date : 2013-08-05

QR Pet Tag? Empty
PostSubject: Re: QR Pet Tag?   QR Pet Tag? EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 11:37 pm

Here is what I have done...

QR Pet Tag? 2013-010QR Pet Tag? 20130810QR Pet Tag? 2013-011
1. Is the basic information: Name, Phone and my Name
2. Breed, Veterinarian, Microchip ID, AKC Reg Number, Date of Birth
3. Tagg (Pettracker.com), which allows me to see her exact GPS location, and monitor her activity levels.
4. Microchip

Those tags are $6.00 at Meijers (basically it is a machine that engraves about 7 different types of tags) So I have $12 in metal tags, $10 in a rivet gun, $4 in 125 rivets, $0.60 in washers to go behind the fabric... So less then $27 bucks I have something that doesn't jingle and rattle every time she moves her head, they are very secure and will not come off, and easily readable by a human so I can be called, or she can be Identified.

Then I registered her on 24pettracker.com this keeps her Microchip ID with my personal information so if someone does steal her, I can set out an pet amber alert to 2500 vets across the nation. AKC will be notified and a picture of her is on file with Tagg, 24pettracker and here at the house (also on this forum and Facebook).

The next thing, is to have a handful of treats, have her on a very long leash, let her roam from you a little bit and call her as soon as she comes give her a treat. Keep doing this over and over, then when at the dog park, when she is far away repeat the process, when she comes to you treat her. After a month (and A LOT of treats), I started weening her off the treats and started giving her very high praises. Now whenever we are at the dog park, I can call her and she comes right away.

If you notice on the first picture it has a link on it instead of the plastic clip... Well earlier today that plastic clip broke. When Courtney put the leash on her she start to walk and the leash slipped out of the plastic clip and off she goes.

Courtney tried to call her but it was a new place and it wasn't in her to not roam... She runs into the house and tells me, I grab my phone turn on the tracking and the PetTracker took me right to her. I call her name and she came right to me, I inspected the broken plastic D-Link hook on her trail bags and hooked the leash up to her actual collar...

Long story short, there are several options for tagging, locating, and retrieving your loved one, but I have not yet downloaded a QR tag reader and many older people may not even have a smart phone or if they do, never been on the app store or play store to download anything.

IMO you should always have everything human readable when it comes to the safety. ESPECIALLY if they get hit by a car or something bad happens a Vet isn't going to grab their smart phone to get your phone number.

Hope I make a little sense here...

Jeff

I am EXTREMELY protective of her and will never let her out of my sight, but if she ever does, I should be able to retrieve her pretty fast.
Back to top Go down
TwisterII
Senior
Senior
TwisterII

Female Join date : 2013-06-14

QR Pet Tag? Empty
PostSubject: Re: QR Pet Tag?   QR Pet Tag? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 10:48 am

I was looking at getting something just like the pet tag not that long ago. I didn't because I couldn't find one that seemed affordable but that pet tag doesn't seem too extreme on pricing. Kenzi is just microchipped and has normal tags, but this might be great for when we move and she's got to get used to a strange new place and yard. Thanks for mentioning it.

Newborn
Newborn
caramel-pegasus

Male Join date : 2015-07-31

QR Pet Tag? Empty
PostSubject: Re: QR Pet Tag?   QR Pet Tag? EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 9:29 pm

jbrown1028 wrote:
Here is what I have done...

QR Pet Tag? 2013-010QR Pet Tag? 20130810QR Pet Tag? 2013-011
1. Is the basic information: Name, Phone and my Name
2. Breed, Veterinarian, Microchip ID, AKC Reg Number, Date of Birth
3. Tagg (Pettracker.com), which allows me to see her exact GPS location, and monitor her activity levels.
4. Microchip

Those tags are $6.00 at Meijers (basically it is a machine that engraves about 7 different types of tags) So I have $12 in metal tags, $10 in a rivet gun, $4 in 125 rivets, $0.60 in washers to go behind the fabric... So less then $27 bucks I have something that doesn't jingle and rattle every time she moves her head, they are very secure and will not come off, and easily readable by a human so I can be called, or she can be Identified.

Then I registered her on 24pettracker.com this keeps her Microchip ID with my personal information so if someone does steal her, I can set out an pet amber alert to 2500 vets across the nation. AKC will be notified and a picture of her is on file with Tagg, 24pettracker and here at the house (also on this forum and Facebook).

The next thing, is to have a handful of treats, have her on a very long leash, let her roam from you a little bit and call her as soon as she comes give her a treat. Keep doing this over and over, then when at the dog park, when she is far away repeat the process, when she comes to you treat her. After a month (and A LOT of treats), I started weening her off the treats and started giving her very high praises. Now whenever we are at the dog park, I can call her and she comes right away.

If you notice on the first picture it has a link on it instead of the plastic clip... Well earlier today that plastic clip broke. When Courtney put the leash on her she start to walk and the leash slipped out of the plastic clip and off she goes.

Courtney tried to call her but it was a new place and it wasn't in her to not roam... She runs into the house and tells me, I grab my phone turn on the tracking and the PetTracker took me right to her. I call her name and she came right to me, I inspected the broken plastic D-Link hook on her trail bags and hooked the leash up to her actual collar...

Long story short, there are several options for tagging, locating, and retrieving your loved one, but I have not yet downloaded a QR tag reader and many older people may not even have a smart phone or if they do, never been on the app store or play store to download anything.

IMO you should always have everything human readable when it comes to the safety. ESPECIALLY if they get hit by a car or something bad happens a Vet isn't going to grab their smart phone to get your phone number.

Hope I make a little sense here...

Jeff

I am EXTREMELY protective of her and will never let her out of my sight, but if she ever does, I should be able to retrieve her pretty fast.

I really like what you have done with the tag. I'd love to do something similar to Menchi's collar. Can you tell me more about the rivets and gun used? I've used rivets at work but they leave a stub in the back. How did you get around that? (then again at work its an industrial pneumatic rivet machine.) Can i see the other side?
I'd love Menchi's collar to have a tag embedded on it similar to how you did the vest.

Back to top Go down
kwdrysdale
Newborn
Newborn
kwdrysdale

Male Join date : 2015-07-29

QR Pet Tag? Empty
PostSubject: Re: QR Pet Tag?   QR Pet Tag? EmptyMon Aug 10, 2015 1:16 pm

tagg.com looks awesome! I hope there is a Canadian version of this. I will be searching the internet for sure but if anyone already knows of one please share. Smile LOVE the tags fastened to the collar idea too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

QR Pet Tag? Empty
PostSubject: Re: QR Pet Tag?   QR Pet Tag? Empty

Back to top Go down

QR Pet Tag?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
It's a Husky Thing - Siberian Husky Forum :: Community :: Buying/Selling Goods-